Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Musically I have rarely found anything even mildly listenable for the last 15 years. Even things I like are only just "ok". Nothing to get excited about. As an old 70s prog rocker most of the new pseudo metal scale assults with stupid jr. highschool lyrics just doesn't cut it. Pop sucks. Dance sucks. Dub sucks. Electronica sucks etc... BUT NOTHING SUCKS WORSE THAN BAD PROG, well ok maybe bad jazz but pretty much for the same reasons.

Ok, rant over. This f**king album kicks ass. I just had to share. You may now return to your sequencers.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I haven't spotted it in a shop yet - just saw some posters for the tour the other day - they're in two weeks or something in town - have to go and see them once again - thanks for the heads-up - will probably have to go and buy the album tomorrow then... :-D
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

:hihi:

opinions are cool :)

and thanks for not bullying us SJ :wink:
SJ_Digriz wrote:Ok, rant over. This f**king album kicks ass. I just had to share. You may now return to your sequencers.

I have 3 Porcupine Tree albums, all amazing
my sig will go here

I'll give you another heads up though. This doesn't sound like PT very much. Well it does, but the songs are much more straight ahead rock. If you want to the old spacey PT this isn't it.

I'm having a difficult time comparing it because the sound is still unique, but familiar to a lot of alternative rock. They are just so damn well done.

Thats one thing I like about PT, if you compare on an album by album basis , none sound quite the same. Can't wait to hear Deadwing
my sig will go here

oooh is it out yet? hannah will be pleased! pt are ace
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

lol, this is funny..well not. I didn't know it wasn't out yet. I got it from my brother last night. hehehe. For all the screaming I do about cracks and here I go and do something like that. I was trying to order it just now when I figured out it wasn't released. Anyhow, IT ROCKS. GO BUY IT.

ah, I guess he got it from a Euro site. You have no clue how pissed I was.

Probably isn't the right time to hijack the PT thread, but have you heard either of Big Wreck's albums SJ? Straight ahead rock, but another band who's albums are well crafted from beginning to end, intelligent/emotional lyrics & intelligent playing.
my sig will go here

no, haven't heard of them. I'll check'em out. And don't sweat it, the internet is all about hijacking.

yeah been looking forward to this :)
sure it still wont beat yellow hederow dreamscape tho :love:

Uh, you say that you don't like anything modern, but have you listened to any modern prog rock (other than PT)? I mean, there are quite a few bands. The Flower Kings, Tomas Bodin, Karmakanic, The Tangent, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Glass Hammer are just a few that I really dig.

Arglebargle wrote:Uh, you say that you don't like anything modern, but have you listened to any modern prog rock (other than PT)? I mean, there are quite a few bands. The Flower Kings, Tomas Bodin, Karmakanic, The Tangent, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Glass Hammer are just a few that I really dig.
Actually I've listened to every band/person on your list except Tomas Bodin. They fall under the "it's ok but mostly boring retread material" and for the most part not good at all. The real tragedy for most of that stuff is the awful lyrics. At least Yes and Genesis had purposfully inane lyrics. These guys are actually trying to write lyrics. It mostly comes out like a grammar school poetry contest. The music in general has no relation to the words. Just chops with silly words on top surrounded by scales.

That's all my opinion of course. YMMV

Keep in mind that I bought the Happy the Man, Gong, Dixie Dregs, Klaus Schulz etc.. VINYL albums when they were new. Miles Davis was prog when I was in highschool. So, my perception of prog is a bit different than what it is now. Bands like the current Marillion are not prog to me. I like Marillion. Marbles is actually pretty good. But it isn't mind blowing or anything "new".

Return to “Music Cafe”