Awake - new Ugo track - update: new mix (less bass)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This song is sick! (So is the amount of VSTi's you managed to squeeze into it.)

It's a got a very ominous and menacing vibe but still remains elegant. Effects are used very creatively. Your drum programming is getting better, too. Great job! Is this for a project you're working on?

geeseaplenty wrote:This song is sick! (So is the amount of VSTi's you managed to squeeze into it.)
:lol:
It's a got a very ominous and menacing vibe but still remains elegant.
thanks! :)
Your drum programming is getting better, too.
i cant take too much credit for that one. :oops: i programmed in the basic stuff and accents, the ethnic percussion and the rest of the stuff that comes in during the bridge and chorus were loops.

i wanted to put in a few small drum fills/change-ups in the chorus and in the more laid back section of the song but i didnt like anything i came up with, so i figured (at least in this case) no fill was better than a crappy one. of course this gives me yet one more excuse to buy stylus rmx one of these days.
Is this for a project you're working on?
nope, this one is just for me.

holy shit :-o ...i just realized...this might be the first track i've completed since 2001 thats not:

- for one of our movies = style and gear limitations
- a demo for a synth = gear limitations (even if its self imposed)
- a remix = not my own stuff
- a short track for a cafe comp = not full length

although this little revalation is a bit unsettling, this makes me all the happier that i finally made what i did here.

-ugo

ugo wrote:if anyone is curious, here's a list of what i used:

vanguard (x2)
discovery
phantom
absynth
string theory
wusikstation
zero vector
kontakt
kompakt
battery (x2)
operating table
personal orchestra
super camelphat
supatrigga
anarchy convolver
dynasone
thrill me
stereo enhancer (cubase)
chopper (cubase
*cough*hopelessgearslut*cough*

:roll:

:hihi:

Seriously, I put off hearing this yesterday as I was in a rush when you posted the track & wanted to give the listen some undistracted justice and I'm glad I did..

:-o :shock: :-o

Holy shit, man..this is a f**king corker of a track! My only niggle is the lower register needs a slight roll off as I'm getting alot of rumble here that the track doesn't need..

Beautiful work..We continue growing/learning even through those annoying gaps in productivity, & this demonstrates that superbly..

WELL DONE!!

:love: :band2: :love:

Sickle wrote: *cough*hopelessgearslut*cough*
:lol: :lol: :lol:
yup, and happily so. :D
at least i found a way to use at least some of the stuff i've been buying! :hihi:
:-o :shock: :-o

Holy shit, man..this is a f**king corker of a track!
thanks! :D
My only niggle is the lower register needs a slight roll off as I'm getting alot of rumble here that the track doesn't need..
ok, now that both you and mark have said it, i guess i should pull it back some. my system here has never been the most acurate when it comes to bass so its been hard for me to judge.

i often check my mixes on the little jbl comsumer 3 way computer speaker system on my computer at work. that little sub puts out a hell of a lot of low end so its easier for me to know when i've over done it. but i've had a few days off from work so i havent been there to check it out yet.
We continue growing/learning even through those annoying gaps in productivity, & this demonstrates that superbly..

WELL DONE!!
:)
yeah, i guess you're right. now that i look back on it, i think a whole lot of the better aspects of the song really did spawn from things i was learning during that dry spell.

hopefully i'll be able to squeeze some more out of this new found burst of creativity and focus.

-ugo

omg! great production, dense & pro synthwork. :love:
drums a tad static, though, but the break at 4.00 works.

Oh god yeah UGO...the production on this is f**king awesome! You did this all at home!? jesus....you should come work at my studio :hihi: Definitely could hear this being played in a club...with the girlies taking there clothes off and battering themselves in beer. Or maybe in a fight scene of a movie....no, definitely in a fight scene of a movie. Alright, i'm getting off here....lol. Very nice song...and i'm only 2 minutes into it at the moment. I like the way it manages to drone and hang about, yet keeps moving forward and changing directions without changing the theme. Fantastic work...do you have a CD out UGO?

peace! 8)
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

waiting man wrote:omg! great production, dense & pro synthwork. :love:
drums a tad static, though, but the break at 4.00 works.
thanks. i agree about the drums being a bit too static. i need to learn how to create more variety in my rhythms/loops. i think im getting better with my melodic structures though.
TotcProductions wrote:Oh god yeah UGO...the production on this is f**king awesome! You did this all at home!?
:D
yup, i did it all at home. amd 1.6 ghz / 1.5 gigs of ram / echo layla / event 20/20p / akg 271 studio /cubase SL3 / and a few mastering plugs.
jesus....you should come work at my studio :hihi:
if you were in the DC area, i might have been knocking on your door right now. :wink: im actually originally from jersey but i havent lived in the NY tri state area in a long time.
Definitely could hear this being played in a club...with the girlies taking there clothes off and battering themselves in beer. Or maybe in a fight scene of a movie....no, definitely in a fight scene of a movie.
or a movie about girls who fight naked in clubs, battered in beer, while listening to my music! :love: :hihi:
I like the way it manages to drone and hang about, yet keeps moving forward and changing directions without changing the theme.
thanks, thats actually something i was shooting for. even as the vibe changes later in the song, i still wanted to retain an overall cohesive feel and bring some of the original elements back around again by the end.
Fantastic work...do you have a CD out UGO?
nothing released anywhere right now. i've got a ton of music up at my site though. however, none of the tracks are as well produced/mastered as this one. this is the first track i've done with the new mastering software and its made a huge difference.

the music i've got on my site is in a variety of styles (dance / orchestrial / ambient / etc.) but none of its labled as such. i really ought to say what style each track is in but, to be honest, i really dont know how to identify generes well at all so i dont know what i should call most of the stuff.

mabey i'll just take a stab at it and update the site with some style listings today.

btw, what style do you guys think this track falls under?

-ugo

UGO wrote: :D
yup, i did it all at home. amd 1.6 ghz / 1.5 gigs of ram / echo layla / event 20/20p / akg 271 studio /cubase SL3 / and a few mastering plugs.
Shit dude...not even on the full fledged SX version...totally on SL...that's amazing...powerful little app isn't it...I love steinberg products...i konw everybody has an issue with them, as they should, do to the fact that their customer service sucks big sloppy donkey cock coz they outsourced EVERYTHING...but, despite all of that, i'm an avid steinberg user. Great to see a recording of such high quality done in cubase. :)
UGO wrote:if you were in the DC area, i might have been knocking on your door right now. :wink: im actually originally from jersey but i havent lived in the NY tri state area in a long time.
It's not that far...maybe 3 or 4 hours. lol. just knock on the door...Traxeast studios on main street in south river new jersey....who knows if i'll be there...i'm currently an apprentice there..so i kinda come and go depending on how busy things are. :P
UGO wrote:or a movie about girls who fight naked in clubs, battered in beer, while listening to my music! :love: :hihi:
I think i was in the fuckin movie! :hihi:

UGO wrote:thanks :D
nothing released anywhere right now. i've got a ton of music up at my site though. however, none of the tracks are as well produced/mastered as this one. this is the first track i've done with the new mastering software and its made a huge difference.
Well, if you ever release one, let me know..i'll be first in line to put up the money for the cd. ; )

UGO wrote:btw, what style do you guys think this track falls under?
No idea dude. lol. I can't get a handle on the labeling concept either. :hihi:
UGO wrote:thanks. i agree about the drums being a bit too static. i need to learn how to create more variety in my rhythms/loops. i think im getting better with my melodic structures though.
I could help you out in that area...Could maybe send you some nice midi files to start you off. email me if you're interested....see the contact page on my website. ; )

peace! 8)

-=ToTc Owns You=-

TotcProductions wrote:I could help you out in that area...Could maybe send you some nice midi files to start you off. email me if you're interested....see the contact page on my website. ; )

peace! 8)
YO YO man, you do tutoring?! My beat sequencing's completely fux0red..

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Sickle wrote:
TotcProductions wrote:I could help you out in that area...Could maybe send you some nice midi files to start you off. email me if you're interested....see the contact page on my website. ; )

peace! 8)
YO YO man, you do tutoring?! My beat sequencing's completely fux0red..

:bang: :bang: :bang:
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

-=ToTc Owns You=-

I'm serious! :help:

Sickle wrote:I'm serious! :help:
Sure...i could help ya out. here, listen to this...the drums are kinda funky...it's a new track i'm working on...nowhere near done but...the point is the drum sequencing.

peace! 8)

-=ToTc Owns You=-

*sorry for the threadjack, Ugo*

:dog:

Sickle wrote:*sorry for the threadjack, Ugo*

:dog:
True...sorry about that UGO. PM me sickle... :hihi:

Now, back to UGO...fantastic song he's got here.

peace! 8)

-=ToTc Owns You=-

TotcProductions wrote:Shit dude...not even on the full fledged SX version...totally on SL...that's amazing...
it certainly does the trick for me. SL gives you a hell of a lot of host. check out the comparison chart. (pdf) if i get into really huge productions and/or surround sound stuff, then i'll step up to SX. but for the time being, im quite happy with SL.
It's not that far...maybe 3 or 4 hours. lol. just knock on the door...
i'll let you know if im ever in that area. i usually only go back to NJ with my family to visit my grandparents in mystic island though. (btw, im originally from rutherford.)
I think i was in the fuckin movie! :hihi:
damnit! where the hell was i? :x :hihi:
Well, if you ever release one, let me know..i'll be first in line to put up the money for the cd. ; )
thanks, we'll see how this year goes. i'd really like to work towards coming up with new cd's worth of tracks.

for the last 4 years, my "free time" for most of each year has been dominated by helping my father with his no-budge film productions. however, this year im taking the time off so i can focus on my own projects. i've got a bunch of stuff plannned, but i want to keep time free for writing new music too.
I could help you out in that area...Could maybe send you some nice midi files to start you off. email me if you're interested....see the contact page on my website. ; )
thanks very much for the offer. i may take you up on that for the next track. (very cool groove on your mp3, btw.) on this one, i dont want to change much. im just going to see if i can add a few decent fills. so much of it was done with loops that it wouldnt do much good sending you a midi file anyway.
Sickle wrote:*sorry for the threadjack, Ugo*
no prob. :)

-ugo

Return to “Music Cafe”