Virgin in the cafe

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought that it was time to stop lurking and put a track up for comments pos or neg. This has been in the Auditorium for a week but I thought I'd post a reference here for those that don't frequent that forum.

The track has been described as 'Spooky Groovy' and likened to Skinny Puppy although I've never heard their stuff.

http://audioshots.com/auditorium/viewtopic.php?t=738

Ello,

Lol i think "spooky groovy" is indeed the best way to describe the piece.

Build up was brilliant, realy set the mood, the mix is also brill, there was never a time where it seemed too muddy, all the sounds/intruments were v.crisp and nothing over powered the piece at all. Panning as some1 mentioned in the auditorium is good too, makes the piece realy interesting like theres never a dull moment (if u get me) always something "happening" especialy when wearing headphones, immerses the listener.

I like the bridge bit/ending as it leads the listener out nicely. Only neg comment would be that IMO the first section goes on for too long, it gets boring untill the "bridge" comes in.

A very nice piece to chill to. I wouldnt usualy listen to this kind of music (what ever kind it is :S) But i enjoyed it v.much.

Thx for posting.

WoJ

welcome aboard the cafe,and very nice debut :)
look forward to more :)

Thanks for taking the time to listen. Wojdude, I'll reconsider that first section and try and add something.

Vurt, there will be more but I work very slowly because of the usual constraints (job, missus, kids etc.). How dou you find the time to be so active on KVR, listen to tracks like mine and still create loads of interesting stuff yourself :?:

This is great to listen to; indeed some entry you are sharing here. I just loved the very fresh sounding triballish rhythm you got going underneath this all. I wonder what would happen if some real bass guitar got played here.

Welcome to the Café :)

i`m digging this.
The talk over is fun...but I really like how well you mix the music.
Couldn`t have done better myself!
Crisp,but full and warm.Much merit for that.
The space you created sounds natural...not apparant or overdone.

The groove is subtle and moves you along nicely.
I`m a fan of dark music...this achieves that.But not dwelling totally in it...as some here will drown you in it to get their point accross.

I`ll just make one small point about the compression or/and limiting at the master buss...you can hear it"breathing" a bit...that`s the only improvement I see that could be made in this mix.(it could sound better overall if this were corrected.It sorta takes the bite off...bringing back some of those dynamics lost would keep it edgy.)

The bass synth sound perfectly balanced in the mix...nice job...not often easy to back off the bass freqs in a groove.Takes some real forthought.

What monitors did you mix this on?

Mystahr - thanks for the welcome. Yup it certainly would be improved with some real bass guitar :)

Annode - thankyou for your comments. I'm certainly a 'happy amateur' in the mixing and mastering stakes. I really need to read up on compression - I just tend to chuck one on the master bus and tweak the knobs until it sounds reasonable. I'm mixing on my Hi-Fi (a NAD amp and Mordaunt-Short MS10s)which I know isn't ideal.

Return to “Music Cafe”