Behrlinesque -- first contribution here

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Very alluring and illusive builds going on here and on each rotation they crawl deeper and make me want to rather hear the wav version as I feel a bit of depth is lossed in the compression. That said I must say though that highpitched arp lead coming in feel a bit extremely panned where keeping it in a more narrower field would make it a bit more subtle. Some eq'ing issues that could be touched where some of the instruments seem to clash a tad bit to let all the various melody lines come more to the foreground.

I'd be interested in the developement of the CD :)

shamann wrote:Good to hear your stuff finally, and yes it is true, your stuff is better than Sickle's.
:dog:

Mystahr wrote:...That said I must say though that highpitched arp lead coming in feel a bit extremely panned where keeping it in a more narrower field would make it a bit more subtle.
True especially in headphones. Not quite as bad on speaker, but a worthy suggestion.
Mystahr wrote:Some eq'ing issues that could be touched where some of the instruments seem to clash a tad bit to let all the various melody lines come more to the foreground.
Exactly the issue I've been battling for the last two weeks! I realized I hadn't quite gotten there but it was close and I wanted to see what the discerning ears here thought. I don't particularly trust my aging eardrums. I know I'm deaf in a particular high frequency range (my wife and friends can sometimes hear insects that I don't) . . . so I really appreciate the help and encouraging words.

I must admit that my ears aren't 100% anymore (ten+ years of DJ'ing quite affected mine, though I think I got off good); I do still trust them though :)

ehm;

do go on

Excellent track. I'm not sure why, but I imagine this music to be made like a jigsaw. Lots of little modular motifs which can be plugged together. You probably didn't write it like that, but it's a pleasant image nontheless. :P

cron wrote:Excellent track. I'm not sure why, but I imagine this music to be made like a jigsaw. Lots of little modular motifs which can be plugged together. You probably didn't write it like that, but it's a pleasant image nontheless. :P
Whatever floats your boat, cron! I'm glad you liked it.

But, no, it wasn't exactly written like that, though I do tend to approach a lot of songs like that. The originally stated theme, played on the Pro-53, was the core sound and motif that inspired the song. The Albino arpeggiation that comes in second was a natural inclusion, enamored with Albino as I am :) The Oddity incidentals were added more as ornimentation in the way Jean Michele Jarre used to put little bubbly bit almost as sound effects. But the main theme was an improvised live recording that was later tweeked in the MIDI note editor. I then copied that to the Orchestron strings, overwriting parts of it with live performance, and doing a lot of MIDI note editing . . . I actually ended up splitting the Orchestron into three tracks so I could do descrete panning and EQ on its high end, mid-range and bass parts.

Sorry for rambling but . . . cron started it!

Hmm. This is puzzling. Normally I wouldn't like this (too "clean" as shamann puts it, both rythmically and harmonically). But there's so much good stuff going on. It's a very, very enjoyable listen.

If I should criticize, which is hard, I would have liked it a bit more "dry". Some of the synth pads are a bit too lush... Well don't listen to me. This is a very good piece!

respirator wrote:Hmm. This is puzzling. Normally I wouldn't like this (too "clean" as shamann puts it, both rythmically and harmonically). But there's so much good stuff going on. It's a very, very enjoyable listen.
Wow, that's very high praise, then! Yeah, this is probably the most "New Age" of all my latest work, which is not what I was aiming for, but I was trying to capture something of the joy I felt back in the 70's when I first discovered electronic music. It was so new and so interesting, so unexpected, and so far from the blues-dominated rock scene that came before it. And the early Kraftwerk had such an optomistic naivete to it, a kind of child-like wonder (or am I the only one who feels this?), I think part of that is reflected in this song, too.
respirator wrote:If I should criticize, which is hard, I would have liked it a bit more "dry". Some of the synth pads are a bit too lush... Well don't listen to me. This is a very good piece!
No, respirator, I think you're completely correct there. The lead FM7 synth is far to wet and I think that's partly what's causing the frequency problems Mystahr was talking about. I looked into the other night and, though there are no extra FX on it, the preset itself (derived from one called Crystal) has the built-in FX way up. I'm going to try and cut that back, along with working a bit on the EQ of the Orchestron strings to correct the issue. Good ears!

sunny but snowing as i look out of my window(snow in april?)
smokin a spliff drinkin a coffee,and this just sorta sit s nicely :)

look forward to more of your stuff :)

Very nice emdot, definately hear the influences from that period, one name comes to my mind, Manuel Göttsching and Ashra Temple. especially like the train on tracks sound at the end, nice touch. 8)

Soniccat wrote:Very nice emdot, definately hear the influences from that period, one name comes to my mind, Manuel Göttsching and Ashra Temple. especially like the train on tracks sound at the end, nice touch. 8)
Manuel Göttsching and Ashra Temple were some of my favorites from that time! Funny that I've not consciously been thinking about them while doing these works, though their influence is definitely in there--and even more so on later pieces.

Damn, I wish I had Manuel doing guitar for me!

Thanks for listening and commenting!

vurt wrote:sunny but snowing as i look out of my window(snow in april?)
smokin a spliff drinkin a coffee,and this just sorta sit s nicely :)

look forward to more of your stuff :)
Coffee an' a spliff . . . oh, those were the days! Can do without the snow, though.

Thanks for listening!

New works are on the way but . . . I don't seem to be quite as fast at finishing them as you are :wink:

Return to “Music Cafe”