Ol'Genesis inspired Prog Rock by Sylvan & Bonamici

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great stuff! This old fart was taken back in time!
As Magog said - you've managed to capture the mood and textures without being derivative.
Your affection and regard for the original material shines through.

Well done!

Treeper wrote:Great stuff! This old fart was taken back in time!
As Magog said - you've managed to capture the mood and textures without being derivative.
Your affection and regard for the original material shines through.

Well done!
Hello Treeper !

This encourages us to continiue, thank's a lot !!!
I will tell Nad as well...

Cheers
Bonamici :)
S&B

Very nice, it sounds a bit more like the Steve Hackett solo stuff in some ways with the flute.

The 7/8 rhythm is a nice authentic touch too!

(another Genesis/Hackett fan)

Thanks everybody!
But mind you, Peter Gabriel DID also play the flute! :)

Best,
Nad
Last edited by The Sylvanite on Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Very good likeness indeed! Tho'I concur with the 'Hackett Solo' ratherthan 'Genesis' consensus. It's a great melody, but Genesis wouldn't play it so much, unlike Hackett who has an earfor a tune and really tries to get the best out of it. the drums are excellent, very 77-79 period Collins in style and sound (including the BrandX stuff), tho' in places it sounds more like Chester, adding to the 'Please Don't Touch' feeling.

Anyway - it's superb. Well Done!

DSP

duncanparsons wrote:Very good likeness indeed! Tho'I concur with the 'Hackett Solo' ratherthan 'Genesis' consensus. It's a great melody, but Genesis wouldn't play it so much, unlike Hackett who has an earfor a tune and really tries to get the best out of it. the drums are excellent, very 77-79 period Collins in style and sound (including the BrandX stuff), tho' in places it sounds more like Chester, adding to the 'Please Don't Touch' feeling.

Anyway - it's superb. Well Done!

DSP

Hello Duncan !

Thank's a lot for your great feedback !

Cheers
Bonamici 8)

S&B: http://www.soundclick.com/sylvanandbonamici
Bonamici: http://www.soundclick.com/bonamici
Nad Sylvan: http://www.soundclick.com/nadsylvan

Thanks for sharing!
I also think it's more Hackett sounding, which is precisely the way I like it :)
-- Regards MrM --

A period of music I somehow completely missed or I guess wasn't into back then, so I'm unfamiliar with the original sound.

This does certainly sound crisp and fresh where if anything to add I would perhaps dramatize the re-entrances after the silenter moments if only to get more dynamics going. Still that said, this was quite enjoyable to listen to :)

Wow! I am really amazed by the cool and vast responses we´ve received in such a short time. You guys really know your Genesis, don´t you? :)
I agree on that this piece sounds perhaps a bit more like something coming from Hackett´s solo career, BUT..
Why did he leave? That´s the bottomline. If Tony Banks
(as we see it, the mastermind in 1976) were´nt so damn creative :), then maybe Steve would have stayed on (?). We deliberately threw in a middle 8 in the style of Banks between 4.30-4.51 just to emphasize this IS a Genesis-like song, but with focus (no pun intended!) on Steve in particular. There actually were songs and bits/pieces that undoubtly were conceived by Hackett in those days, that he still plays in his live sets. Things like "Hairless Heart", "Horizons", "Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers" to mention a few.
duncanparsons wrote:It's a great melody, but Genesis wouldn't play it so much.
Thank you! But - I must disagree. If he would have been the key to it, this is probably where it would have gone. IMO of course, I could be wrong. ;)

Best,
Nad
Last edited by The Sylvanite on Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

this is really, really a beautiful piece of music...

...i was a bit refrained by the mastering work at the beginning ( no critisism about it quality , just too modern and transparent to remind me immediately on the 70's typical warm ambiance )...but, all the ending part remind me sooooooooooooooooooooooo much " selling england by the pound " or "a trick of the tail "...you know ?

this is close to make me cry...( should i forgive you ? )

Krakatau wrote:.
this is close to make me cry...( should i forgive you ? )
:cry: Yes, please forgive us! :)
If our music drives you to tears or close to, then it IS the finest compliment one ever could get. Period. Thank you so much! :love:
As for sounding a bit modern, well we see it like this; Nowadays Nick Davis is re-mixing the Genesis
catalouge and a lot of us are awaiting The Lamb in 5.1. He also did the Platinum collection which contains music from 3 eras I think. For example, he did a fantastic job with "Supper´s Ready" and brought it into the 21:st century. It is the same version, only better sounding. :wink: Perhaps this is close to what we had in mind. Making it sound like the 70´s with a grain of 2005 in it?! After all, it is being conceived here and now. ;)

Nad

Very Nice.....Reminds me more of "Blow by Blow" era Jeff Beck than Genesis. But either way, a very refined sounding piece of music,

Oh REALLY??!!! Thus he sounds like Genesis too? :D
I simply gotta listen to that then...

Hey, big thanks!
Nad

"Blow by Blow" is quite entrenched in it's era. If you like BrandX, IsoTope, Hatfield & the North/National Health, etc, you'll really like it. He did another LP around the same time, tho' I can't think what it's called..

Anyway, wrt to Genesis & Hacketts departure... Genesis was always conceived as being a committee thing, and whilst Steve's tunes were well received, there were times when it was felt that he didn't accept the hand of control being taken away.. "Voyage of the Acolyte" was an LP that let off a load of steam - all the compositional frustration of working with Genesis that had built up was relieved here. Apparently he was demonstrating some tunes he had, and Phil said "It's great, but it's solo material", so he did a solo album... The frustration comes through to me - one doesn't write such quality stuff as "Ace of Wands" when relaxing in the sun! (That has to be my favourite Hackett piece, actually..). After doing that, he was more peaceful back in the fold, but frustration built up again over the next couple of years. Eventually he left while Tony, Mike and Phil were in the studio mixing "Seconds Out". Tony recalls "We hadn't seen him for quite a few days, then he phoned the studio, said 'I'm leaving the band' and hung up. So we just mixed him out of the rest of the album"!!! Steve once rather tongue in cheek said that he left because he was fed up with playing Squonk.. but generally when asked, he cites the need to express himself more freely as an artist as the central reason. Obviously he loved the band tho', I can't think of any other ex-bandmember of any group who has done so much to promote his old work..

wrt to the rehashing of the old tapes.. Some remasters of bands have been handled really well. Alan Parsons has revisited his earlier works periodically, and the results have been excellent, he kept the sound of the age in which it was recorded, but done 'compassionate' cleaning. I respect that. However the Genesis Dfinitive Edition Remasters are awful.. I heard "Selling England.." recently. The opening of "Dancing.." suddenly had this reverb that was never there before, and it ruined it for me. Part of the charm is that sound is of it's era. "Close to the Edge" would sound appalling with a gentle plate 'verb pushed into the back - same with many prog recordings of the time. Reverb was used as an effect, not a baseline...

Grrr.. Sorry it's a slight bone of contention for me (as you can probably tell). I was listening to "Seconds Out" DER in a shop this very evening in fact, and it suffered as well.. Phils vox are less prominent - not in a good way either.. oh, I don't know..

Anyway, I still like your tune!!
:)

DSP

Not a member, so I can't download, and streaming it craps out every 3 seconds.

Sounds good, for as far as I can hear.

V.

Return to “Music Cafe”