some grungy pop

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

herodotus wrote:bump?

:?:

Just don't bump it much further... guess most KVR people just aren't into real music made by real men :)
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Don't know if Sascha is right ... I hope not

Now about your song , I like it a lot. I am maybe biased cause I spent half of the 90s playing similar stuff. I liked also the interpretation of the 3/4. It flows naturally. It's similar (the groove) to a greek traditional genre but less syncopated.

The problem with this kind of rock is that the 90s are long gone (grunge too) and there's nothing impressive lately (maybe Queens of the stone age but that's not so lately)

Sascha Franck wrote: ....guess most KVR people just aren't into real music made by real men :)
Sascha, That was a great quote.

Funny thing is, If I extracted the drum parts out people would be lining up to download them.

:?

:wink:

yeah.... gotta agree.... really cool stuff..... and though benny is right with the reverb on the snare.... I kinda like the rest of the drumsound even if it's sorta dull it kinda fits......

well the cymbals would need to be a tad bit quieter for my taste.....

but really cool song....

yeah post the next mix when it's done

multree wrote:yeah.... gotta agree.... really cool stuff..... and though benny is right with the reverb on the snare.... I kinda like the rest of the drumsound even if it's sorta dull it kinda fits......

well the cymbals would need to be a tad bit quieter for my taste.....

but really cool song....

yeah post the next mix when it's done
Thank you sir!
zeoy wrote:Don't know if Sascha is right ... I hope not

Now about your song , I like it a lot. I am maybe biased cause I spent half of the 90s playing similar stuff. I liked also the interpretation of the 3/4. It flows naturally. It's similar (the groove) to a greek traditional genre but less syncopated.

The problem with this kind of rock is that the 90s are long gone (grunge too) and there's nothing impressive lately (maybe Queens of the stone age but that's not so lately)
First, Thank You!

Second...Yeah, the nineties are gone forever :cry: but musical preferences go in cycles. Anything that was once cool will become cool again....its like an iron rule of history.

In any case,I do all kinds of music. The band making the album that the aforementioned song will be on (in a VERY different mix of course) is simply trying to rescue the songs we wrote from 1999 to 2002. Stupid things caused us to disband, and we were all bugged by the fact that these songs died with the band. But now...thanks to inexpensive digital recording, they can find a home in our c.d. collections (in a couple of years or so). :wink:

Great drum part, but yeah the cymbals are way too sizzly, I'd try and bring those down if it wouldn't be at expense of the kick and snare. If it would be too detrimental to do that, I'd attempt re-enforcing the kick and snare with some samples using something like KTdrumtrigger, but again, only if bringing the hats/cymbals down would screw with the snare/kick sound.

As for the rest, I'd bring down the higher vocal a bit, and bring up and center pan the lower vocal until about the three minute mark where I like how the two interplay just fine. If the effects on the guitars were down post recording I'd get rid of them, IMO modulation effects are the quickest and easiest way to date a sound (though I do kind of like what's going on in that intro lead). It may not sound quite so 90s otherwise. I'd also lower the low vocal on the very end bit, just sounds kind of wierd to me. Also I'd ditch the verb entirely, no seriously, I'd at least drop it to the point where it's not really audible, it's just pushing the vocals and guitars too far back. I'd also try bringing up the bass a bit more (though I am listening at work through cheap headphones).

Don't take my nitpicking personally, these are just things I'd try and do with the same mix, and I know it was just a quick mix, so I'm actually just trying to be helpful. It is a good song though, the way the two vocals work together, and that wierd lead and drum pattern makes me think of Ween.

Post back, when you get a newer mix.
I'm sorry this post wasn't about techno.

Funkybot wrote:Great drum part, but yeah the cymbals are way too sizzly, I'd try and bring those down if it wouldn't be at expense of the kick and snare. If it would be too detrimental to do that, I'd attempt re-enforcing the kick and snare with some samples using something like KTdrumtrigger, but again, only if bringing the hats/cymbals down would screw with the snare/kick sound.

As for the rest, I'd bring down the higher vocal a bit, and bring up and center pan the lower vocal until about the three minute mark where I like how the two interplay just fine. If the effects on the guitars were down post recording I'd get rid of them, IMO modulation effects are the quickest and easiest way to date a sound (though I do kind of like what's going on in that intro lead). It may not sound quite so 90s otherwise. I'd also lower the low vocal on the very end bit, just sounds kind of wierd to me. Also I'd ditch the verb entirely, no seriously, I'd at least drop it to the point where it's not really audible, it's just pushing the vocals and guitars too far back. I'd also try bringing up the bass a bit more (though I am listening at work through cheap headphones).

Don't take my nitpicking personally, these are just things I'd try and do with the same mix, and I know it was just a quick mix, so I'm actually just trying to be helpful. It is a good song though, the way the two vocals work together, and that wierd lead and drum pattern makes me think of Ween.

Post back, when you get a newer mix.
Wow!! Thanks for the detailed mix-critique, and no, I sure DON'T take it personally. (now if you said my drumming sucked, or I that I couldn't sing or something that would be different :hihi: )

Thanks for listening. Glad you liked the song.

I listened to it several times and I like it more each time :) Not only that I like the song itself. There are a lot of those little surprises in the arrangement that let a good song stand out of other good songs.

Sounds a bit muffled at this stage, but as you say: It's in progress. And it's already a pleasure to listen to as it is :)

Regards,

Tommy

j_T wrote:I listened to it several times and I like it more each time :) Not only that I like the song itself. There are a lot of those little surprises in the arrangement that let a good song stand out of other good songs.

Sounds a bit muffled at this stage, but as you say: It's in progress. And it's already a pleasure to listen to as it is :)

Regards,

Tommy
Thanks for the kind words. :)

herodotus wrote:The band used to be called The November Criminals. (Not sure what we are called these days....suggestions, anyone?)
:?:

Return to “Music Cafe”