Spacey Electronica w/an Asian Tint: The Bull of Heaven Part

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://audioshots.com/auditorium/viewto ... =7642#7642

This is the newest composition in my collection of works inspired by the 1970's pioneers of electronic music. As with my first piece in this collection (see http://audioshots.com/auditorium/viewto ... =6834#6834 or http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ue&start=0), My aim is not to emulate the works of the masters but rather to pay homage to them by incorporating their influences and reflecting it back in a new light.

The Bull of Heaven, Part 1 is actually the intro to a much longer work (as yet unfinished). And even though Part 2 draws its inspiration from the sequencer driven era of Tangerine Dream (circa 1976)--and despite the fact that the title of this work comes from the Assyro-Babylonian epic of Gilgamesh--while I was trying to find a melody line for the introduction, I accidentally created a preset that sounded rather like a shamsen (a 3-string oriental guitar). When I started this song I hadn't intended it to have an oriental flavor, but things just took their own direction and here we are!

As I mentioned before, the title comes from the epic of Gilgamesh, in which the goddess Ishtar, furious that her proposal of love to Gilgamesh has been rejected in no uncertain terms, asks Anu to send the Bull of Heaven to kill Gilgamesh. This piece is the calm before the storm. Imagine, if you would, a driving TD style bass sequence coming in at the end of this and you'll see where I'm headed. But, as Part 1 holds up on its own rather nicely, I thought I'd go ahead and post it.

As for the shamsen sound, you'll have to guess which virtual synth created it.

The instruments used were (in order of appearance):
ARP2600va
Oddity (instance #1)
Eminent 310 - phased string ensemble sampled instrument played in Kontakt
Pro53
Moog Modular V
Oddity (instance #2)
[Guess the VSTi] - the shamsen oriental guitar melody
Lounge Lizard
Minimoogva

Track Title: The Bull of Heaven part 1
Artist: Emdot_Ambient
Album: Tablets of Destiny
Encoding: 128 kbps
File Size: 3.96 MB

Some very nice stuff going on here (I have to stop writing "stuff"). Again very clean/synthy for my tastes. But it works. The Asian flavuor is not overdone. The mix/production is excellent. I'm looking forward to hearing the part where the Bull arives on the scene.

respirator wrote:Some very nice stuff going on here (I have to stop writing "stuff"). Again very clean/synthy for my tastes. But it works. The Asian flavuor is not overdone. The mix/production is excellent. I'm looking forward to hearing the part where the Bull arives on the scene.
What's wrong with "stuff?" I love "stuff." As long as I've got my "stuff" life is good!

Thanks for the listen and the comments!

You can just take it as read that all my new stuff (see, stuff!) will be clean and synthy, though some of the instruments I am making a little more lo-fi to emulate the synth treatments that used to be put on Mellotrons and the like.

I started this song as one long piece but ended up breaking the intro and main parts into two Cubase projects because there's too much . . . STUFF . . . and I was maxing out my CPU load. Hopefully I'll make good progress on Part 2 this week/weekend.

I guess one of your influences must be Tangerine Dream, and especially their early years. I thought it sounded brilliant to be honest. I could also sense a bit early J-M Jarre in this one. Great stuff.

Check out Winter in Wim on my site.
http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3 ... 53531&q=Hi

ketillien wrote:I guess one of your influences must be Tangerine Dream, and especially their early years. I thought it sounded brilliant to be honest. I could also sense a bit early J-M Jarre in this one. Great stuff.
Thanks for the compliment!

You're so right about the TD influence. I love all their work from the '70's. I kind of lose them about the time they put out Force Majeure. My favorite period for them was the Rubycon/Phaedra era, seconded by their Stratosfear/Sorcerer era. In later songs you'll hear a lot more Klaus Schulze influence as well.

J-M Jarre was a huge favorite of mine, but his influence comes through a little less obviously, as I don't seem to compose the same way he did. I'm glad your able to pick it up here!

Listening to Winter of Wim now. Yeah, I can hear the same influences there! Nice work. :)

stuff rocks!and this is good stuff! 8)

Thanks, vurt!

And I'm still waiting for people to guess what VST did the oriental guitar sound . . . and stuff.

Return to “Music Cafe”