The Flip Side [Old School Electronica]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Intro, Part 1, Part 2

I find these pieces repetitive yet evolving , minimalistic yet complex, short but long enough. They take me back to a time when Atari programming and circuit building mags were on the shelves. Games Workshop and Pente were recreation. It was a womb-like time.

I'd love some input on how I'm doing.

I don't start out trying to sound like anyone, but it happens. Have fun finding the influences. I hope I didn't rip anyone off. I no longer have the vinyl to check it by.

Thank You
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

Just a BUMP before I sleep.

Well, I got some reviews in The Auditorium.

Is there not much interest here for this sort of thing? If not, I'll only post my power pop stuff here.

Have had a listen to the three in a row yesterday allready and enjoyed the trip ;)

Hi androidlove. I listened to part two, interesting sounds, nice evolving stuff going on. It's quite light and relaxing really. I'm not keen on the brushy sounding hats running throughout.

I can't put my finger on what genre this would sit in, it kinda straddles a few really (which is a good thing I guess).

I suppose what's missing is a standout feature/a hook, it makes nice background music at the moment, almost spacey elevator stuff (sorry if that offends).

CypherOne wrote:I suppose what's missing is a standout feature/a hook, it makes nice background music at the moment
Yes! That's what it is. Maybe I should have said that in my post.

I download a lot of tunes, but I have no idea what to say about most of them. I can't type, "Were you actually trying to make music?" Maybe if ppl would indicate that the stuff is experimental, sparse, and grating, I could write, "Congrats, you've achieved your goal!"

If you need a hook, check out the songs linked to in my sig.
CypherOne wrote:I can't put my finger on what genre this would sit in
Thanks for thinking about it. I have no idea either. I'm just calling my rock stuff, power pop, although it's like alternative punk/new wave. I wish I knew what to call it.

Thank you both for commenting.
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

Hi Androidlove! I listened to your song(s) earlier this day but I wanted to give it a few more listens before I went writing about it hence I didn’t write my thoughts down yet.

I can’t say this is the epitome of originality but I think you did succeed in creating a sense of ambience, though admittedly the overall feel of these recordings are a bit too light for my taste.

I like the voices of part 1 quite a bit. They sound quite real & sort of spooky, in a way. That melody you play there sounds sort of nice too but also extremely familiar!

Part 2 continues much in the same way as part 1 only I think the cymbal is a bit too noisy. I like the panning sound, though it’s also a bit cheesy.

At any rate your song(s) are in need of some salt & pepper cause now they are so “tame & light”. And I guess if you are after making some new age background music you’ve succeeded quite well only if you were aiming for something else then I think you failed, sorry.

Please be aware that I’m not burning you down, I’m just giving you my thoughts on your music. And I think that if you experimented a bit with different (and more irregular) rhythms this could get more interesting already.

Not bad but not quite there either. Thanks for sharing, though.
~leave through a door.~
http://www.eretsua.com

Yes, it's been done before. Yes it's background. I made the hat loud on purpose. I also like the cheese. I'm glad you see in it what I do.

Thank you for the review.

androidlove wrote:Yes, it's been done before. Yes it's background. I made the hat loud on purpose. I also like the cheese. I'm glad you see in it what I do.

Thank you for the review.
It’s good to know that you know that of yourself. No problem for the review!
~leave through a door.~
http://www.eretsua.com

I 've had a listen and the sounds are my kind of ambient stuff.
You evolve your sounds a la early Kraftwerk/ Mr jaare (I think you spell it like that), even Tangerine dream. If this is what you do, it is ok by me and I could easily listen to these on a sunday afternoon up realy loud.
Carry on doing it my friend, its Good.

Sanity Man.

Thank you Sanity Man.

Hmm, it all sounds nice and evolves in a cool way, but it's just not what I'm up for right now I think... too much building up and not really a firm structure. I really like the melody in part 2 though.

I may just revisit it tomorrow and play it loud on my main system (it's 3:50 am, not a popular thing to do right now, neighbours and all).

Programentalist wrote:I may just revisit it tomorrow and play it loud
Loudness rocks, dude. Really it's music to mellow out with or clean house to. It's utilitarian.

Thanks for listening.

Diff genre stuff in my sig.

Ok, listened again, at proper levels (loud), but my thoughts are about the same, just didn't do it for me for the same reasons as above. Some nice stuff in there but doesn't work for me as a whole.

androidlove wrote:It's utilitarian.
Programentalist wrote:doesn't work for me
:hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”