( edited link )...For both prog rock and new age lovers

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone

Proud i am ...

...hanging around from such a long time on these forums, to be finally able to share with you, a first piece of my work as self-produced composer

Beeing an old-time fan of some long record titles like "in search of the lost chord" from the moody blues, or "at the court of the crimson king" or if you may know the band "Van der graaf generator" ( they seems to make a little come back with an brand new double CD called "present" these days... )...a choose this brief ( ahem !!¨) title for my composition :

" As a night of carnival at the court of the prince of darkness"

...that may reflect quite honestly the overall ambiguous ambiance exulting but perturbed and a bit freaky at the same time

http://www.anak-krakatoa.net/~downl/As.mp3

Its a relatively short composition ( little less than 4 minutes ) entirely made with external sound modules ( you may recognise a few VL-70 sounds ) and a S 2000 sampler

If you're a progressive lover, ( as i am ) you may appreciate the long, detailed work of this composition.

Any feedback would be highly welcome and appreciate !!!!!
Last edited by Krakatau on Thu May 04, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

i' ll be glad to have some feedback...

( an indication :where would you hear somewhere the charge of the cavalary ? )

Not my fav genre, but overall, it catches the spirit/feel of prog pretty well. The drums in particular are done well, tho' they seem to get a bit lost in places ( :love: the snare sound, not sure about the kick) The brass? sounds too artificial to my ears. On third listen, this gets better, there's obviously a lot of work gone into this. Nice one :D
RIP Black Tom and Beckett. They weren't just cats, they were MY cats, the best cats ever.

"The drums in particular are done well, tho' they seem to get a bit lost in places"

true...you're not the only one to say that, still lacking of a good sense of rythmical counterparts, but after more experience...

The brass? sounds too artificial to my ears.

You're probably right, just be aware that it is a Yamaha TG500's preset ( 3 times the same one in parrallel spread in the stereo field and sharing a similar melodic line )

Not my fav genre, but overall, it catches the spirit/feel of prog pretty well.

...actually similar to most feeback i had that said they've relatively appreciate though is wasn't their cup of tea !

Very nice. A lot going on in four minutes. I wouldn't be opposed to it being a couple of minutes longer. looking forward to hearing more of your work.

MRT wrote:Very nice. A lot going on in four minutes. I wouldn't be opposed to it being a couple of minutes longer. looking forward to hearing more of your work.
Well...if you're interested i just opened a new thread on the cafe !

( fusion african ethnic / prog rock )

Let me start by saying I'm no big fan of the genre...

That said the song is really nicely laid out structurally, and some of the leads are really funky. My main gripe is that many of the sounds sound way to plastic and cheap synth to me, even a cheap sound can get life with some processing... The other thing is that is sounds very rigid in places, while some of the parts work nicely (especially the lead solo stuff) much of it sounds very hard quantized which detracts from the overall feeling.

Personally I would do without the calypso things as well, but that's a matter of taste I guess.

I'll check your other tune later on...

Interesting piece. It held my attention and I enjoyed listening but it was slightly spoiled by the awful kicks which are very 80s and way too aggressive for prog.

Programentalist wrote:Let me start by saying I'm no big fan of the genre...

That said the song is really nicely laid out structurally,
For someone that is himself obviously a composer, considering then my work very critically i may consider this as a major compliment !

Did anyone notice a "charge of the cavalary " somewhere ?

TankGirl wrote: but it was slightly spoiled by the awful kicks which are very 80s and way too aggressive for prog.
Which is what I actually meant to say
Ian B wrote:not sure about the kick
but tried not to be too critical..
RIP Black Tom and Beckett. They weren't just cats, they were MY cats, the best cats ever.

Another very good production from you. I like it, but would not entirely call it usual progressive rock, maybe a bit newage. Great composition nevertheless. I like the mix of acoustic and synth sounds.

Extremely nice piece. Reminds me a bit of "progressive Rock" (hey you dare to name that word, normally you'll be killed after that straight away :hihi: ) as many of those musicians which i couldn't see live as they are too old are wonderful instrumentalists. The weird melody at about 2'00 is wonderful. Would like to hear more of you, and will download the other song here in the Café. Nice one, good ideas...
The weak part may be the drums, but I don't find them bad at all, only the other parts are better. I don't know by the way if much is said if you say "it's too much eighties", tankgirl? It's a rotten cliché, everybody says "it's so eiiiighties" if she or he dislikes something. I have heard thousands of things being "90s" or "00s" :hihi:, and nearly every description contradicts the other.
Really nice song...thanks for sharing.

Hi follk...

The happy dude that i am bumped this topic because he has the good surprise to find today his very first production as composer joining the Musea's catalogue ...
( http://musea.musearecords.com/ext_re_ne ... p?np=33918 )
...way earlier than expected ( because of other dubious experiences )

At the meantime, i wanted to share with you some of the artworks of my own that where included with this project ,
This to tell you that my early activities as artist were focused on drawning rather than music, though these works are actually on standby mode as you may imagine

I apologise in advance if ever you'd find this attitude somehow self-centric ( BTW this colour to my taste reflects quite easily excessive self-esteem and a kind of allmighty mood In opposite of this one that more obviously for everyone reflects an intense passion, not necessarily VIOLENT, but that includes a notion of UNAWARENESS OF YOUR OWN PERSON, because of a complete surrender to the instant emotion or the present act...

some deep, sweet, undefined nostalgia... ...or some noisy and pedantic crowd !

:oops: :lol:

_______

Still on topic ( i hope ) Just have a look at these :

AS...( hehe !!!) Front Cover

AS...( hihi !!!) Inside Back Cover

AS...( pffffffffffff ! ) Double Page

...this to tell you that i'm proud to have seen published a creation entirely on my own in every aspects.

music and cover artwork included.

Thank you :party:

Bump.

Daniel Pompougnac

yup, definitely fits the genre well...

bombastic quotient high
pontificating solo noodling quotient high
endless switchovers from one mini-theme to another - present

yup, definitely 'prog' (and these are all complements by the way).:lol:

For me there's a little too much of the main sawtooth lead stuff.

I'll have to listen to it again to get more of the details.

Greg

p.s. yes, I'm old enough to know Van Der Grag and KK, and others...just check out my avatar :wink:
Don't ask me, I just play here.

Return to “Music Cafe”