[Music] Varjojen Kätköön

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is something I recently did, as a learning process with the BFD drum module. Style is somewhat alternative/rock. The lyrics are in finnish though but you can still listen to it ;)
I used Imagine-Line's FLStudio as a sequencer, Native Instruments Guitar Rig for the guitars and bass, BFD for making the drums of course inside FLStudio (I do own drums and I can play them well, it's just I don't have a studio here to record them well) and Sony SoundForge to edit the recorded tracks and give a final "master" to the song. I'm not much of a singer so you could have some pain listening to it... :lol:

And here's the link: http://personal.inet.fi/koti/laasti/drf ... atkoon.mp3

Very good but needs mixing.
This one sounds like it was mixed by the drummer...

Hey thanks for the reply.

What would you personally change in the mixing?

This does sound good. The drums are a bit loud and overpowering. Also there seems to be some frequency interferences going on, but I'm listening on my laptop speakers right now, so take that with a grain of salt.
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

Hey listened a couple of times now, very nice!

There is some issues with the mix though, I agree with Andrew it does indeed sound like it was mixed by the drummer (which in essence it was I guess). The drums are very well programmed and it's obvious you know your drums, the problem is they take far too much room in the mix, they're too wide and up front. I would ease down on the width of the drums, bring them more to the center and further back in the mix (mix them a little lower and/or use reverb to bring the further back).

Since it's a very thick mat of sound (which works well) you may have to use some EQing, letting the drums through a bit so as not to get lost behind the other stuff when you bring them back in the soundfield.

I would also ease bring the vocals further up front, maybe by easing down the reverb on them and raising them up... a bit of EQ may also help to get them to cut through a bit better (notching everything else down a bit around 3-6khz and adding to the vocals there maybe?).
Last edited by Programentalist on Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks freeztar and Programentalist!

I played all the instruments as well as sung it, but I think I'm best with drums so that's why it might sound like it's mixed by a drummer :D

Anyway now that I read your comments and listened to the song trough many times I agree with your feedback Programentalist. Mixing vocals has been the hardest part for me always. They tend to drown under the other instruments and sound weak. I'll try your tips and get back sometime. I'm currently doing another song.

Return to “Music Cafe”