New track by PMental - Run with Me *slight update*

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been working with this for hours and hours today, trying to get a bloody clarinet to fit where I want it in the mix!

Oh well, I managed finally :D

EDIT: Well, until Nils made me go back *again*, NOW I'm done though.../EDIT

Deeplinking doesn't quite work the way I want it at the moment, so get it directly from my page at: http://www.musicv2.com/artist/programentalist (right at the top, no registration required).

Don't know how to describe this one really, the drums are pretty fast (the tune goes in 110bpm) but the tune in general is pretty laid back. There's some Wurlitzer in there and some Hammond (both courtesy of soundfonts.it, wicked stuff), some guitar (well, String Theory 1.5 actually) as well as bass, drums and that clarinet I spoke of.

It all comes together quite nicely I think, but I really don't know, the track is spinning in my head after listening to it a thousand times while finishing it today.

Comments and criticism welcome! Come one, come all! ;)

As per usual (but I'm pretty new here so you might not know that) it's all made with freeware (and some donationware), apart from my lovely host that is.

Edit: Those of you who missed my last posting can find it here, I'd appreciate more comments on those as well ;)
Last edited by Programentalist on Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Direct DL didn't work, the second link did.

Pretty funky, very warm music - but what else to expect from a line up of acoustic drums, bass, Hammond, Wurlitzer... and clarinet.

Would the "not existant" drummer's initials be BFD? Nice guy for a drummer eh.

I like this. Nice ending too. Great work!

Thanks mate!

Hmm, I'll have to check that link then...

Well the funky warm music should be expected from the instruments I guess, but since these are all freeware emulations played via a crappy Casio keyboard's MIDI in FL Studio you could also expect less :D

BFD? Naaah... I'm using royalty free samples that came with Computer Music (or Future Music, can't remember) a year ago or so that I've programmed in FL Studio.

Edit: Just remembered, the drum samples are from DrumStyles Vol.4 that came with Future Music a year ago (maybe a bit longer) or so.

Hi,

very easy, nice, somehow refreshing...
Nice drum programming.
Nice fusion of retro sounds and "modern rhythm"...
I like it. :)
The flute solo seems a little bit thin to me. And its melodie seems a little bit inexplicit
A guitarsolo would fit well, I think.
All in all, I like it.

Nils

Thanks Nils but... you BASTARD, you caused me to spend another three hours mixing the bastard!

I basically took the "flute" (that's the same clarinet as in the chorus, I guess playing it that high took the body out of it) and lifted it down an octave in the verse, then redid the whole mix to accomodate it better.

I may get back to it again, but I reckon it's better now...

Guitarsolo? Maybe when I wrap my hands around that wicked Guitar soundfont I found... or if I can actually borrow an electric guitar from a friend and drag over, probably won't happen in this tune though.

:?

yea, now it´s good 8)

Agree with Nils - this is easy to like!

Nice drum programming - if anything too spot on - perhapps use a little shuffle on the occasional bar to loosen things up!
You could maybe introduce a touch of room ambience over the lot, to give it more of a 'completely live' impression?

These aren't criticisms at all my friend, just suggestions for a final touch up - I really like it!

Cool, fresh sound (at least to my ears... but then I don't get out much these days) choice!
8)

Good job PMental, a great sounding track, a different combo of instruments than normal makes this refreshing. You're going to hate me for saying this (especially since you've laboured over the mix), but the mix sounds a little muddy. There seems to be some further EQ work required to seperate the bass from everything else, it's dominating everything. It has an overly warm buzzy feel to it.

But overall I really enjoyed listening to this several times over; thanks for sharing it mate.

Thanks people! Glad to hear you like it 8)

Nils: Thank god, I'd hate going back to that clarinet again!

Ghost: I *may* get back to it and do something with the drums, it's basically just two patterns repeating as it is...

koorby: It's not just your amp/speakers then? Because the bass only takes command with the occasional note on my system... maybe it's my reference that is too mellow, who knows, I'd love to hear a second opinion on this (my system goes pretty low to be sure, but it's not the *ultimate* system after all).

I admit... this is just a shameless *bump*

Return to “Music Cafe”