may contest ... GOSSIP

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Page 5
Markleford: How come this tune seems to be les random than other human composed entries? You've accomplished what you set out to do with this track. I like these types of pieces as long as they are short (meaning no disrespect) which is one of the advantages of the competition. I could use this as a bridge between two more conventional pieces in one of my mixes or as an intro. The production is clear and there is a sense of movement from start to finish that balances the apparent lack of structure.

Ixox: Oh no! I don’t know who’s worse you or Col.G. If this one sticks in my head, I’m going to commit myself.

Astinine: Great. Extremely cheesy (of course) but the drums are sharp, the synth have 80’s class but are totally modern in their delivery and the piece keeps it’s energy throughout.. Good Work!

TristezaOrange: It’s original and charming. You know the limit of your voice and use it well. There’s no reason why this song couldn’t have been longer.

SoftEgg: It sounds like Ministry (an old favourite of mine). until the guitar solo which is not necessary. It detracts from the piece. Otherwise it has bucketloads of raw energy that doesn’t grate the ears, which must be a difficult task. Hats Off.

Peppy197: Excellent Piece. There are few places where it dips a little and the ending is curt. But all in all a very interesting collection of sounds, well arranged. On my shortlist

VitaminD: Indeed very heavy. Again I like this type of tune as long as it is short. And not followed by another in a similar vein. The choice of sounds complement the bass and are well executed.

Smart: I was worried until the drums came in, then…..sweet. I would have enjoyed more but since you’re experimenting with shortness. Fair play.

The Peu: Sound Pop sensibilities. Luvly choice of sounds. A very heartwarming piece. Well played.

Be Right Back!!!

Techbot wrote:Markleford: How come this tune seems to be les random than other human composed entries?
He he. :hihi: That cracked me up. It's 'cause algo music is made by a program that's designed by a logical thinking programmer, thus algo music is methodical and logical, whereas humans have all kinds of organic kinks in their brains that allow them to randomize even when they don't want to.

Or at least that's my take on it. Still cracks me up, though. :wink:

M'kay, I'm back after 3 days of avoiding music, KVR and most other things in life other than eating, drinking coffee, reading sci-fi novels and generally lazing about.

I've got some thanking to do, I'm glad to say!

Two more #1 Votes!
astanine
kazi

:hail: :shock: :hail: :shock:

And a bunch more good votes:
Ixox (#2, Danke!)
RichieBee
Beardedone
AndrewSimon
_niko_
Markleford

And one very nice HM
You(tm)

Thank you one and all!

I don't enjoy whittling down the choices to vote. There's so many songs I want to endorse... Oh well... I would like to tell you all that over the weekend, we threw a fine canndlelit evening buffet and garden party whilst playing the entire May playlist throughout the affair as background music. The guests were delighted at the variety and quality of songs.

Really, everything sounded pretty good. My top choices keep sliding around - if I keep listening to the songs for another week, my top 10 list will be almost completely different. Also, special thanks to all the reviewers this month. Your thoughtful words have been very helpful and encouraging.

knockman wrote:emdot_ambient – mind boggling concentration, you take the 2 minute time limit and expand it vertically! you create a unique sense of drama – intense but the release at 1:21 is timely otherwise I think I’d not be able to keep up
:o :oops: Thank you, those are very kind words! This was a monumental undertaking and hearing that people appreciate the effort is reward enough. Each section of this song came out exactly, or even better, than I originally conceived of them, which still amazes me because I was unsure I'd even be able to approximate my original idea. I also learned a hell of a lot in the process.

So, again, thanks to all who have made such kind comments, and especially to those who've been so good as to cast a vote in my direction! :love:

FInal page of reviews.

JSL: Has a Burt Bacharach feel to it. Very strange. Was it your intention to nod at the 70’s or is that just how it panned out? Assuming of course you recognise what I hear in the tune.

Rollasoc: Ha! I was waiting for the drums. I just knew they were coming. Brilliant.

Koorby: A fine piece. It appears your not happy with it so I assume you recognise its flaws. Eh…….. I don’t. It’s sounds like a more gentle Top Gun style piece. I don’t particularly like this genre but this is a better example of what it has to offer and has enough going on and some nice changes to keep me listening.

Kazi: Very strong, commanding piece that exudes experience. Shortlisted

JT: I like this, especially it’s opening. The tune is very raw and could do with some eqing. But the effort would be worth it. I think the main lead could be replaced for something more modern perhaps sample based to give it a bit of edge.

I think this is the lot.

I totally enjoyed the reviewing this month. Most if not all had something to offer which made the whole process as much a learning experience for me.

Ps To celebrate not entering this month, my 20th post is in the main music café forum for anyone that’s interested.

Luv

Techbot wrote:Markleford: How come this tune seems to be les random than other human composed entries?
Part of it might be, as you pointed out, "there is a sense of movement from start to finish".

Essentially, I am setting up rule-sets for each part, allowing them to have aspirations of being "improvisors". But I, as "conductor" and "arranger", tell them where they are supposed to play and what rule-set to use at any given time. As such, my most important task is to convey that motion over the length of the composition.

That definitely helps human brains from being bored! :) And I agree, long algorithmic compositions can wind up being ponderous and mind-numbing (heck, so can human-composed long pieces!). Not that they have to be, but sometimes the chin-stroking algo theorists think the math is enough to give a piece significance, while I think that human listenability is THE benchmark for success.

I suppose some human composers are satisfied if they come up with a groove or two that they like and stick them together. That's when people start complaining that it's repetative: when it's the same thing over and over, it does take on the cast of a machine. Whereas my "improvisors" will keep changing within the boundaries they are given. Moreover, each time my piece is played (from the SONAR project) it will sound different because of the random factors involved.

Thanks for the ears and words!
- m
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

knockman, jsl, koorby, rollasoc, katanaman, vitamin d, techbot, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

@ knockman: The Cale reference skews this nicely for me. Cale was on my mind not at all here, but I've always thought that the Angel's Death Song, with JC scraping away madly, was the highlight of that banana album.
Techbot wrote:I’m sure there are all kinds of rules and things to distinguish a good piece of chamber music from bad, I wouldn’t have a clue.
Classical harmony has various rules and habits, but they don't have much to do with telling good music from bad. In the end, as with all kinds of music, your ears have the final say. 8)

(I had in mind the early 1800s - strict classical tonality broadening out into romanticism - but I don't think the listener really needs to know that.)

Thanks all.

little intermediary bilan:

o'malley, remco, Markleford, thank you so much for the first seed, it's too much of an honour! :oops:

Ixox, koorby, knockman, respirator, Barnadine, Richiebee, You™ and astanine, thank you too for the votes, you made my days lately. i gonna tell the good news to my bro'.

cheers

THANKS :love: for all the reviews, the votes and the HMs, people
toujours humectez la mouture. toujours.

Wopelka wrote:
VitaminD wrote:heres what I did today.. downloaded all of these on my 56k :o
interesting, how many time did it take?

actually, i'm going to revert to a 56k as of July and i was wondering whether i'll have to stop my partiticipation to the contest or not...
not quite sure.. a couple hours :hihi:

I use flashget with the firefox flashgot plugin.. all I had to do was go to markleford's kvr page and right click on.. I get an option to flashgot all (download all files linked on the page)

then I just put them all in queue and downloaded one at a time in the flashgot..

when I got about halfway done I started listening and reviewing.. therefore I had enough entries ready to be listened to that I wouldnt have to wait for others to download.

but, yeah, this proves that anyone with 56k or better can download (and thus vote) if they REALLY wanted to.. even if it was the day before voting ends.. :hihi:

in short... you should be fine.. just need a bit more patience but it all still can be done ok. :)

Techbot, dude, thanks for the #2 vote!
:love: yah!

less than an hour left to vote ...

slainte :ud: rob

Time for a bit of thanking for votes. Thanks go to j_T, rollasoc, rockstar_not, Sepheritoh, M'Snah, Markleford, Techbot and Ixox. Slightly larger thanks go to Glooper and Andrew Simon for the second place votes.

Once again.........:singer: Thank you.
This space intentionally left blank

I am not looking at the voting until the results are in. If anyone did vote for me then thanks so much. I will catch you later.

Cheers,
Gordon

Return to “Music Cafe”