more Jazz!! YAY!!!!!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My combo just recorded a demo this weekend in my studio(bedroom). These are not the same people from the other recordings I posted a while ago.

The recording turned out pretty well especially for just 2 mics and a couple of DI's, and my lack of recording knowlage. I used DP4 for the recording: 1 track with para EQ, eVerb, and Blockfish in the main FX channels. I'm a little dissapointed about the piano mix being so low in some of the tracks, but other than that I think it turned out pretty good.

Joy Spring

Recado Bossa Nova

Straight No Chaser

Enjoy, :) :) :)

...very entertaining....I'm swinging here with my morning coffee.....nice atmosphere!

I think these files are already better than the previous ones that you've posted. only complaint: the cymbals are too intrusive...but...hey...I have a treble control here on my mixer...no prob. the trumpet player is also more secure now (and in tune) although he sometimes loses orientation...but...well...that's live recording...who cares about a few little mistakes.
nice guitar by the way....
your drummin' groovy as usual....

I guess you're a bunch of music students and I wish you the best for your exciting journey :!: enjoy this period of your life...

keep us informed how it all develops with more of such snippets....

thanks for posting 8)

Thank you! :)

TrekStar wrote:the trumpet player is also more secure now (and in tune)
This is actually a different trumpet player :hihi:

... and bass player... and guitar player... and piano player. :wink:

The other band was my combo from my class. The guys in this recording, I have been playing with(in various combinations) for at least two years now.

We are called "Hale bop" BTW.

Cheers,

Man, this is how it's suppose to sound.

Good job!

oh great... thats my sound!!

Groovy, groovy, funky, funky :) Very nice, enjoyed it very much. Just the cymbals in Joy spring are a bit too loud for my taste, but anyway, good enough for a 2 mic recording ;)

- Ulli -
Sunburn In Cyprus - Downtempo/Lounge/Pop/Electronic/Dub
Sunburn In Cyprus music site

joy spring - you could have supported the trumpet player some more in the theme (tarara ta da da daaaa on 4 and)

the trumpet guy should check out the B part a bit more, there's quite a few changes there tho.

otherwise cool. I like your drumming. Ayaa, there's some guitar in trading fours,

straight no chaser - i like the tempo (we play it 2x as fast probably), it suits the trumpeteer.

lose the guitar on piano solo, or cut off pianist's left arm. guitar sounds weird - I'd prefer a bit more balls and a little less of pick (but then I dig Sco)

now go practice, you're on the right track.

BTW, what are your favorite drummers? and which recordings/albums?

k

soulata wrote: BTW, what are your favorite drummers? and which recordings/albums?

k

ELVIN JONES!!!! pretty much anyhing he did.

Also, Max Roach, especially the stuff he recorded with Dizzy.

and so many more...

thanks, :)

hihh, groovy tunes there, in a jaaaaath kind of way obviously. All sounds a bit mono mind; there is a top technique for doing a nice stereo recording with just a matched pair of mics. Unfortunately I've forgotten how to do it! Hopefully some kind soul will come and tell how it's done!

niiice

Beautiful stuff, cheers :D
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

You could slide the trumpet about 100 ms forward and still have him laying behind the beat. ;) You could also mix down the ride and the mix up the piano - especially during the solo - guitar too.

mix mix mix mix mix mix mix mixxxxxxx

musicianship is right nice, though...

production notes? how'd you record, host, etc?
Houston Haynes

HHaynes wrote: production notes? how'd you record, host, etc?
I used Digital Performer as the host. I had a MXL 990 condenser over the drum kit, and a SM-57 for the trumpet. Bass: had a pickup on it, so I plugged it directly into the board(Behringer Eurorack UB1202). Guitar: ran the DI of the amp directly into the board. Piano: was a Yamaha P-120 digital piano, also ran it directly into the board.

Sent the main outs from the mixer to the in on my interface(emagic emi 6|2m). I used para EQ, eVerb, and Blockfish for effects.

We sort of slapped it together quickly, and I was the drummer and recording engineer at the same time, so it could have been better, but oh well. It will work for a demo.

Thanks, :)

You might be able to EQ the drum part into something more balanced, but if you were all playing in the room at the same time then the shift of the trumpet part may not be possible - unless you want it to sound like later Miles Davis... ;)

Overall it's well done.

You might want to consider backing off the overhead, or simply going with a mic out in front or between your knees to balance the kit sound a bit.
Houston Haynes

YAY! :)

Much nicer combo.

Gotta agree that the guitar sounds just doesn't appeal to me (though the playing is fine). And would it be possible to hang a bit of cloth between the ride and the mics, so the treble is a bit more diffused?

- m
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

Return to “Music Cafe”