Some Things Never Change

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a new track I've created.

Some Things Never Change

I'd welcome any feedback to help me improve it. Please let me know what you think.

It's made using Tracktion, Manystation (bass), Organised, PlugSound Free (drums) and guitar recorded live. I'm particularly interested to know what people think of the mastering, as this is an area I don't know too much about. I've used Finalmix on the drums and bass so far.

Hope you enjoy it!

AlanB

I did enjoy it
someday if I ever learn how to properly master I might give suggestions, but for now I suck at it, just try to make it sound good to you

Im not good at mastering like vtx either, so don't expect highly useful comments about it.

I :love: the guitar work and the organ playing, but I think the organ moves a bit too much in the stereo image.

The bass sounds a bit too lifeless for this genre in the first part where it is more prominent. My suggestion; add vocals and then lower the bass volume a bit.

A nice track! My comments are minor quibbles. Make it longer!

peace

Thanks guys! I appreciate your comments.

I think I'll try re-recording the bass to try to get a bit more life into it.

AlanB

Your balances are wrong. You need to bring the rest of the band up in level to get closer to the guitar. It sounds like a bad demo mix now. The band is supposed to be playing together.

Also, with all the ambience you have on it overall, you might mix in some crowd noise and make it sound like a live bar band cut. Go for a smoky bar feel. :lol:

The guitar is a bit loud, but not too much. The only problem I have with this track is that the drums are a great bit mechanical sounding. Also, way too much ambience (come to think of it, egarrard was being sarcastic, but keeping the ambience and adding a low-level track of maybe a recorde bar ambience wouldnt sound bad at all).

Chase Altertone wrote:egarrard was being sarcastic
Not entirely. The playing is okay, but not great. I was reminded of what you might hear at the local bar on an average night and just thought the track ought to play to its strengths.

Wrong thread. I'm a tit.
http://chrisamusic.bandcamp.com/
"It's square to be hip"

Thanks guys. I'll try lowering the level of the guitar.

I know what you mean about the drums sounding mechanical. I tried using a groove template, but it ended up sounding even worse.

AlanB

you can't go wrong with a blues :)

however, I 'd rather use loops than programmed beats in this case.

Liked the guitar, esp. at around 1:35...back in 1968 (like I was there in the first place, heh) - meant in a good way.

k

Thanks soulata. :)

I was quite pleased with the guitar, bearing in mind I don't play much these days. It was done in one take, and could be improved quite a bit. It's sounds slightly out of tune in places, but I was pleased with the tone. It's just my old Antoria 345 copy plugged into a ToneWorks AX1G pedal, straight into an Audigy.

As for the drums, Jamstix is far more realistic than programming drums, Perhaps I should try that. Or maybe I'll see what loops I can find.......

AlanB

btw, I'm checking your tunes on the wusik site now. slow dl.

space station - sounds great to me

in the beginning - sax sucks, drum programming could be better, i like the guitar sound and playing, i'd use a different bass sample, this one has a bit too much attack (click) IMO

view from a bridge - a sequel to space station, i liked it very much (there's something that bothers me about rhodes sound but that's a minor complaint as I'm not really sure what it is that bothers me)

k

soulata

Thank you very much for your reviews. My webpage pretty much contains all the computer music I've done, so it might be time to clear it down, and try to improve the standard.

I'm very pleased with the useful comments I've had. It tells me that the guitar sound is OK, which I'm pleased to know. Now all I need to do is improve my playing, and fix everything else :D Seriously, it encourages me to carry on.

soulata - I remember now.... I've visited your site before. It's fantastic! I love Etna, and I'm working my way through the other tracks.

AlanB

I think it sounds great Alan
The live guitar in there makes it all sound so real. Your playing is nice too!

Drums sound Fine to me as does the ManyStation Bass! I think all the sounds suit the style and are sitting pretty decent.

Nice work again.
Paul

edit : doublepost
Last edited by soulata on Tue May 31, 2005 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”