Attempting to program rock drums in 9/8

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's my attempt at a hard rock/prog/Tool-ish track in 9/8: http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=771

Used Sonic Implants Blue Jay drums, Les Paul Studio through a Boss GT-6. The bass is Natural Studio's J-Bass but I really need to work on the crappy midi programming.

Phil

You know, the drum programming is pretty good, I don't like the ride in the choruses, it's way too loud and prominent; either you have to decide if you want the "drummer" to be hitting the ride or doing the tom parts, having both playing at the same time just sounds fake.

I can't hear the bass at all. You need to turn it up or add some low end, or use a bassier sample-set. I don't think the guitar is stealing the low-end, doesn't sound like you have much bass on the guitar.
I don't know what you're using there, if you just like to keep it all in Soundfonts, or if you can apply FX or not; some compression would help to match the low and high levels all around.

It's a great start, though!

Thanks! good comments there.

I'll look into the ride. Some of it is unrealistic, I agree. I tried deleting some of the extra hits and it started to sound too thin.

The bass is turned down more than I'd like becuase it sounds pretty crappy. More to do with my poor programming ability than a bad sample set. I need to do some work on that.

I high-passed the rhythm guitars. They were recorded through a miced cab and had way too much bottom end, but probably I've overdone the cutoff. I'll look into that.

Thanks again,
Phil

philipc68 wrote:Thanks! good comments there.

I'll look into the ride. Some of it is unrealistic, I agree. I tried deleting some of the extra hits and it started to sound too thin.

The bass is turned down more than I'd like becuase it sounds pretty crappy. More to do with my poor programming ability than a bad sample set. I need to do some work on that.

I high-passed the rhythm guitars. They were recorded through a miced cab and had way too much bottom end, but probably I've overdone the cutoff. I'll look into that.

Thanks again,
Phil
I think the guitars sound fine; check out that bass. You just need a bigger low-end.

Return to “Music Cafe”