Waking Dream - guitar/synth breakbeats

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just finished this one... While drifting to sleep the other night, I suddenly realized I had a nearly complete song in my head. When I rushed to the computer to start writing it, somehow I lost that track and instead the first 8 bars of this one was running through my brain. :?: Weird, I know... Anyway I'm pretty happy with how it turned out - I love the bass! (thanks Manystation!)

What did I use again.. Hmm.
-Manystation
-String Theory
-Stylus
-G-Town Church cymbals
-Synth1
-plenty of Filterscapes ;)

Any comments whatsoever welcome :D

http://www.finalfloyd.com/waking%20dream.mp3

Hey guys. Based on some recommendations from another forum I redid the mix abit.. The bass is toned down some and the panning is more balanced. The link is the same.

Still would like some feedback if you have a moment :)

This almost works as one of those interlude pieces used in CSI. You know the ones where the little CSI guys/gals are making DNA extraction look exciting, and swabbing the inside of a smashed car look sexy???

Anyways, this is nice piece and I like how the piano and strings compliment each other. On the more critical side of things; the drums sometimes sound too programmed, almost "Boom Boom Satellites" but not in a good way. Perhaps consider removing the programmed 16th/32nd kick drums notes to alleviate this. Just my opinion.

That guitar sounds at the beginning is it String Theory? Otherwise I really like the tune, maybe a little bit to "standart" but well mixed, easy to listen to & a crystal clear sound.

Samplescience: The very first chorus guitar sound at the beginning is manystation. You didn't like it? String Theory is the more reverbed 'ethnic' sounding instrument that comes in later, as well as the buzzy stringish arpegiatted sound.

Thanks for the words re: mix as well - the first mix was pretty bad so I'm glad I was able to salvage it with the second ;)

Syndrone: CSI eh? I really like some of those interlude tracks (though I'm lukewarm on the show itself) so thats a good compliment to me, thanks :)

Thanks for the critique too. I'm new at using chopped up beats and certainly isn't my strong point. Perhaps for my next track I'll go back to nskit7 and we'll see if you think that sounds programmed :)

didn't hear the first mix , but the one you have linked now is quite good ...

musically , this is not something i would choose to listen to , but i can still appreciate the construction of the track , and the work you have put into it ...

i think this shows manystation to good advantage ... the content is most expressive , and you use it well ...

Ooh this is quite cool... The drum programming isn't quite right as mentioned and maybe it could use some drier elements to anchor the groove a little. The drums should be crisper and more upfront IMO.

Anyway, the structure and progressions are good and I like the general sound design angle of it all.. :cool:
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

normal wrote:didn't hear the first mix , but the one you have linked now is quite good ...

musically , this is not something i would choose to listen to , but i can still appreciate the construction of the track , and the work you have put into it ...

i think this shows manystation to good advantage ... the content is most expressive , and you use it well ...
normal, thanks for listening and commenting on my track even though its not really to your personal taste. I know, thats hard to do. Cheers! :D

griels wrote:Ooh this is quite cool... The drum programming isn't quite right as mentioned and maybe it could use some drier elements to anchor the groove a little. The drums should be crisper and more upfront IMO.

Anyway, the structure and progressions are good and I like the general sound design angle of it all.. :cool:
Thanks for the ideas griels. What exactly do you mean by 'drier' elements? My usual understanding of wet/dry in relation to music is fx levels.. I did try a few tambourine grooves in the bridge section, but it sounded sort of busy and I liked the G-town Anvil stuff better :D

Cool you liked the structure 8) The song wrote itself really - I didn't have to think at all as to what should come next. When I have to rearrange a track, and spend alot of time on arranging the result is usually much worse ;)

Return to “Music Cafe”