amazing sinewave music

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sheffield based Audiobulb Records has set a seemingly impossible task to contemporary music artists. Artists have been asked to write a complete track of music using sounds exclusively derived from a 1 second 440 hz sine wave. A sine wave (often refered to as a test tone) is mathematically the simpliest and purist tone available.

The project has been seized upon by artists keen to demoinstrate their versatility and sound design skills. Audiobulb Records now hosts two volumes (with a third volume well under way) of free to download music derived from this project.

The music can be found at the project page of http://www.audiobulb.com

In the tracker circuits this has been done a few times. One of my favorite musicians from the past (Jeroen Tel) has done an amazing track that I simply love, based on a single sample of a sine wave. (Which afair won one of these competitions...)

This sounds worth checking out, though from what I've just read on Audiobulb's page, this sounds more like "do anything possible as long as the source sound is the supplied sample of a sine wave", which with current tools and no limits set to processing might lead into a mess of sounds...

But that's just my assumption, will comment once I've checked out what the artists have come up with.

Regards,

JMH
Now available with added Inherently Suspect Justification!

Yes have a listen - there are some interesting results given the parity of the sound source - but as your state with todays tools there is the opportunity to create rich sounds..... that was the point I guess - that from a tiny moment in sound - diversity could occur and spread - like the big bang!

indeed some interesting pieces thanks for the link :)

room wrote:Yes have a listen - there are some interesting results given the parity of the sound source - but as your state with todays tools there is the opportunity to create rich sounds..... that was the point I guess - that from a tiny moment in sound - diversity could occur and spread - like the big bang!
There's an excellent album on Sonore (a Japanese label) by Satoru Wono called Sonata For Sine Wave And White Noise where the titular sources remain largely untouched in terms of processing. Pitch bends on the sine and filtering on the noise with a bit of reverb in places. Excellent stuff on there which I think most of the artists on your page will be interested in (not only because the label exec writes "thank you!" all over the receipts when you order :lol:) since it's an excellent demonstration of how you can make all sorts of music from such simple material, from odd drone things, to hands in the air dance music, all without fancy processing.

Not that I'm saying excessive processing is a bad thing. Certainly not here :). There are some excellent tracks both in the main and microsound compilations. Thanks for the heads up.

Nice project. I love the texture of these tracks.
http://www.rz-1.com Mobile Music Software

New Conventions of Behavior http://www.ncob.net
Experimental Audio + Free Sample Library

Return to “Music Cafe”