Dark Abstraction -- Gamma Melt 3 **UPDATED**

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

8)

valid points raised by shane ...

i really enjoy the depth of field in this production ...

I really hate it when you all gang up on the side of composition rather than concept :wink: :hihi: I think I'll doctor up the intro to this song tonight and post a new version. Probably won't make much change to the body of the beast, though. We'll see.

Thanks for the 8) normal!

well i liked it :)
look forward to a rehash too as it means i get to listen again :D

ps nice to see the vurtbox in use :D

vurt wrote:ps nice to see the vurtbox in use :D
I was wondering if/when the whoshot.com poster boy would show up :hihi:

I've got all the free Krakli synths and I almost never seem to be able to fit them in my projects . . . yet everytime I try one I think to myself, "well, when I get back to some abstraction this'll come in handy!"

So, of course the VurtBox had to come out of the Cubase closet for this one. I'm sure it'll be featured much more often as I do more of this type of composition.

I tried out a lot of the vurt presets in EffEm but they all were a bit grungy for this piece. :(

Speaking of which . . . I don't see EffEm in the KVR instrument database :-o

emdot_ambient wrote:I really hate it when you all gang up on the side of composition rather than concept :wink: :hihi: I think I'll doctor up the intro to this song tonight and post a new version. Probably won't make much change to the body of the beast, though. We'll see.

lol. Well art-by-committee can certainly be a bad idea, but in this case I think the principles are really good and I'm glad to hear you'll be re-visiting your materials. By that I mean that when we are making music that is outside of a tonal system then it brings other "poles" into prominence: high sounds versus low sounds, density versus non-density, activity versus stasis, rhythm versus a-rhythm, overtone convergence versus silence. All these things now become your "system" when you don't have the push-pull of traditional Western harmonic cadence helping you set up the tensions (and their release). But the one thing that seems to remain in both types of systems is the power of a good formal structure wherein those poles are set in motion along your timeline with a climax in mind and lots of little excitations leading up to that. It's like sex, like the tides, like the phases of the moon, etc.

Also meant to comment earlier on your success a taming peaks in the piece. There is a nice depth and also a good balance between the elements in terms of their peakedness. I often fail at this, being very attacted to resonant convergences. I'm working on letting go of this.

Shane Sanders wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:I really hate it when you all gang up on the side of composition rather than concept :wink: :hihi: I think I'll doctor up the intro to this song tonight and post a new version. Probably won't make much change to the body of the beast, though. We'll see.

lol. Well art-by-committee can certainly be a bad idea, but in this case I think the principles are really good and I'm glad to hear you'll be re-visiting your materials. By that I mean that when we are making music that is outside of a tonal system then it brings other "poles" into prominence: high sounds versus low sounds, density versus non-density, activity versus stasis, rhythm versus a-rhythm, overtone convergence versus silence. All these things now become your "system" when you don't have the push-pull of traditional Western harmonic cadence helping you set up the tensions (and their release). But the one thing that seems to remain in both types of systems is the power of a good formal structure wherein those poles are set in motion along your timeline with a climax in mind and lots of little excitations leading up to that. It's like sex, like the tides, like the phases of the moon, etc.
Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement, though I always do hold a fond place in my heart for static modal works, and a piece this short can easily fit in that place as well--insert the listener into a steady listening mode and then once the statement has been made, back out. Eno was good at that kind of thing. It takes more discipline and self-editing than I usually exercise, though, and I can see where this piece may be just a little too long to be successful at it.
Shane Sanders wrote:Also meant to comment earlier on your success a taming peaks in the piece. There is a nice depth and also a good balance between the elements in terms of their peakedness. I often fail at this, being very attacted to resonant convergences. I'm working on letting go of this.
Thanks! I did indeed have problems with untamed peaks in earlier versions of this work. I've noticed that a lot of instruments excelling in abstraction also have a tendancy to peak excessively: a lot of Reaktor ensembles, Absynth, VurtBox and others. I suppose the randomness implicit in some of these causes the issue. I'm impressed and gratified you noticed my efforts :oops:

Hey, your music is an emoticon....
however, not this one.... :bang:
maybe this one... :troll:
nah... THIS ONE!! 8)

kwac once
kwac kwac

kwac twice wrote:Hey, your music is an emoticon....
however, not this one.... :bang:
maybe this one... :troll:
nah... THIS ONE!! 8)
kwac once
:hyper: Sweeeeeet!

I appologize for not listening you your song today. I downloaded it at work but . . . forgot me headphones! Didn't really thing the tiny built-in PC speaker would do it justice. :D

Heck, THATS WHAT I MIX ON.... :dog:

kwac once
kwac kwac

And, if you never listen to my muzac...thats OK...most of what I post is crap, or represents a joke of sorts...like when someone sez they kust HATE (big hair guitar, fender piano...whatever) I immediately turn out some piece of trash incorporating that very sound.

Then I sit back and try to figure out what 'famous' tune it reminds me of, Which then inspires my song title.

I only started using my home computer (as opposed to a 'workstation' to compose late last year.

"I am NOT an Amateur, but you should note that the ONLY difference between an amateur and a professional is that SOMETIMES I get paid"...vitolobotomy

kwac once
kwac kwac

kwac twice wrote:And, if you never listen to my muzac...thats OK...most of what I post is crap, or represents a joke of sorts...like when someone sez they kust HATE (big hair guitar, fender piano...whatever) I immediately turn out some piece of trash incorporating that very sound.
He he he! That alone makes it worth me checking out! :hihi:

M'kay, this song's been updated. I'm interested to see if anyone who heard it before thinks this helps. :wink: Okay, so it's a shameless bumb...well almost shameless.

shameless bump you say :o
im all for shameless :hihi:
indeed still nice,altho to be honest id have to dig out the other mix to a-b em to find the differences,either way its still a cool tune :D

Enough people seem to use Audioshots to warrant that I sign up, so I will, but how exactly do you sign up? Their main page lets you log in, but not register. Strange...

Brian

Return to “Music Cafe”