Brand new PALANCAR album available

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's been quite awhile (over 2 years) since the release of my last full studio album, so please suffer me to toot my own horn a bit here:

http://www.bluewaterrecords.com/catalog.php?albumid=14

Like the description says, this is all pure ambient, no percussion, and most of it is quite dark. You can listen to excerpts of the album at the site, as well as purchase the high-res downloadable version (this is a digital-only release). Hopefully it will be available on iTunes and the other major digital retailers reasonably soon too.

Also, just for KvRians, here are direct links to a couple of tracks off the album. I'll be removing these files in a week or so, so go ahead and grab em while you can. Note that these are lower resolution than the full product.

http://palancar.net/tmp/01-Palancar-Dim ... gAgain.mp3

http://palancar.net/tmp/02-Palancar-Dim ... tFeels.mp3

Hope you enjoy the music! Comments, good/bad/indifferent, are welcome ...

8)

That second track is hands down the best dark/black ambient track I've heard here, unquestionably, and easily on a par with almost anything I've heard recently in the genre. Exactly as it should be - a vast, brooding, impenetrable, rumbling monolith - reminds me of Inade, but even moreso, if such a thing can be imagined. The title you gave it doesn't do it justice - if you're going to name it something it should really be as impenetrable as the music itself.

First track is well done but not my cuppa - hard to believe these tracks come from the same disc. If it was all like the second track I'd be impulse buying right now - as it is I'll check out the other samples first.

Thanks Dystonia - actually the title of that track is quite dark to me, although admittedly it's a totally personal thing that nobody else would get. It was a quote from a rather intense months-long argument with someone I love who I have to watch suffer from a serious illness. Anyway, it's a dark-as-night topic for me, hence the subject matter of the track. :hihi:

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. That's probably the darkest track on the album, although tracks like Entheogenic and Pale Afterbirth have their moments ...

OK just for fun, here's one more track off the album:

http://palancar.net/tmp/07-Palancar-Dim ... rbirth.mp3

:hihi:

oh... new PALANCAR. I needed some new PALANCAR to play on my show. thanks PALANCAR for the new PALANCAR tracks. see you on friday, PALANCAR.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

Cool this will be on my next to buy list. :) 8)

intel wrote:oh... new PALANCAR. I needed some new PALANCAR to play on my show. thanks PALANCAR for the new PALANCAR tracks. see you on friday, PALANCAR.

Cool tracks.... 8) Perfect background music for the lightning storm outside :)
an autumn leaf
on the open lotus ~
pond turns brighter ~

They've impounded my credit card, dammit...
...preview tracks are real sweet too.

hopefully I'll hear a few at stillstream :D

suburban grilla wrote:hopefully I'll hear a few at stillstream :D
Check the posts above ... there are three full songs available for download (direct links for KvR folks) ...

I liked "crayons and pillowcases" very much (on the blue water records website). On a budget now, but this should be a very good CD and I'll definitely get the music in the future. "Ambient" has grown into a nonsense-word, a cliché without any meaning other than "it's not heavy metal and not many drums in this" or "definitely no acid house" or something, but music is nearly always better than people who put anything in a casebox.This is really good music, thanks for the 3 KVR-free-songs :) .

Klemperer wrote:"Ambient" has grown into a nonsense-word, a cliché without any meaning other than "it's not heavy metal and not many drums in this" or "definitely no acid house" or something ...
This is an interesting perspective - how do you mean that it is a cliché? That people are slapping the word 'ambient' on things that aren't ... ? Very curious since I pretty much live in ambient-land these days, plus I run an all-ambient radio station (www.stillstream.com), so I'm interested to know what folks are thinking about ambient.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words!

dburgan wrote:
This is an interesting perspective - how do you mean that it is a cliché? That people are slapping the word 'ambient' on things that aren't ... ? Very curious since I pretty much live in ambient-land these days, plus I run an all-ambient radio station (www.stillstream.com), so I'm interested to know what folks are thinking about ambient.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words!
I think many (I know) take the word for ANY music without drums or that they cannot put in some other box (techno, house, new prog and so on and on). So it has nothing to do with the quality of music you for yourself call "ambient" :oops: . I simply think the way at least some people I know use the word it rather says not much any more. But well...just my twopence, and I have a certain dislike of putting music into kinds of "boxes". I think it comes all from a german writer who's a musician too and always rambles "oh techno is the only great music whereas rock music is for wankers" (he uses the phrase "abspritzen" in german).
Maybe I wrote nonsense, and vurt's and your music is ambient.
A reason why I like the KVR-music-café is that people simply go ahead and post, no matter what they call the music. It's just about what I meant.
Some people DO like that way, come to listen to new songs this way; others say "hell I have to go through all of those pages to find my drum 'n bass"...

Err, a bit off topic here :D. Will listen to your songs this evening, as they are in a way you have to listen and listen again. Really good music.

Klemperer wrote:I simply think the way at least some people I know use the word it rather says not much any more. But well...just my twopence, and I have a certain dislike of putting music into kinds of "boxes".
Indeed, ambient doesn't necessarily say much about what the music really is, in my view. A good way to start an argument on an ambient BB is to ask the question "what is ambient?" It inevitably degrades into a debate about whether things with time signatures are ambient, whether things with percussion are ambient, etc. To me that's all wasted energy, because at the heart of ambient is a paradox.

My perspective is that ambient is really more of a mindset than anything else. It's a way of approaching music that:

1. Has almost no rules; and

2. Integrates all aspects of the music, including the production and the recording, into the composition holistically; and

3. Doesn't have any rock drums in it. :hihi:

Ironically it's (1) that causes ambient to be a paradoxical term, because it means that almost anything falls into the category. So calling music 'ambient' is almost as ambiguous as calling it 'music'. So I agree with you that the word 'ambient' can't be used to box things in, because that is diametrically opposed to what ambient music is supposed to be. Therein lies the paradox.

So ... what is ambient?? LOL :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”