(formerly DJMessy) [ambient/saxamaphone] liquid jazz

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After much deliberation, I decided to change my musical moniker from DJMessy to "General Fuzz" cause I'm not a DJ. And I don't like being a poser. So, as I am wrapping up production of my third album, I would like to share the 9th finished track with y'all. It's my 3rd colabortive song I've finished. I could never do this kind of thing with Reason - Live 4 simply opened up a lot of amazing opportunities.

Anykind of feedback/criticism is more then welcome - especially feedback on the mix.

http://www.generalfuzz.com/mp3/extra/liquid%20jazz.mp3

Done in Live 4
MrRay73
Sonic Synth 2
Z3ta+
CamelSpace amd CamelPhat
and most importantly,
My man Tony Juardo on sax.
find your flow, eight albums of mellow beats: www.generalfuzz.net

* bump for feedback *

I updated the mix - giving the Sax a little more headroom. I would love feedback on the mix though . . .

One last mix update. . .

I liked this, the mixing is done very well too. The bass really stands out and sounds clean and well "bassy"! Arranged nicely.
"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live."

I like everything in this, nice lush dance mix up to your usual standard, but I don't like the saxophone at all. Apologies to your man Tony, but it's all easy listening sheen to my ears. Not a technical criticism, just a taste conflict, so take with a grain of salt.

Thats cool - I'm all about feedback and hearing what people feel. Thanks for your comments (and No name's) . . .

I liked this a lot! And I _liked_ the sax - I hear some Desmond, Sanborn, and maybe some Brecker influences in this. The harmonies were nice. Grabbed a copy into my mp3 directory.

Excellent song! First, I like the name change to General Fuzz as it fits the style of music much better than the DJ moniker.

When the song first started, I was thinking to myself that I really like the song, but the sax is too closely miked - wouldn't it be cool if you had the sax sound more like it was ambient miked in a dark alley. Then, amazingly, that's exactly what you did starting at around 1:40 - a tasty transition. Very cool sax orchestration at around 5:45 too.

The overall orchestration sounded excellent and integraged - the instruments all belonged together. The drumming fit the song extremely well. The chord progressions had lots of life and kept me drawn into the song throughout.

Again, excellent song! Make more :)

Brian

Keep the piano drier. The reverb really smears it. The track was really great until it entered. Then the coherency disappeared. The instrument placement is very well done. The piano should have stayed confined to the bass side. I felt I was listening to a recording of a live band until (again) the piano entered. The playing was fine. Just the overload of effect killed it.

On the second time through listening, some sort of percussion (hat click maybe) would help some on the intro. It seems like it goes for a couple of measures before the beat is firmly established.

Return to “Music Cafe”