The Whisper, my father's day song for my father

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a quote from the song description
This song is based on a poem my father wrote in 1941, when he was just 20 years old. Recently my mother discovered this and other poems and passed them on to me. My father now 84 and I have shared so much over the years, it's with great joy I share my greatest passion with him, my music.

So for Father's day 2005 I put this poem to music. Truly he has proved himself to be a man of exceptional character, and what a treasure this is. The thoughts of this great man as he began his journey through manhood. I'm truly proud to share this treasure with the world, enjoy.

This is just the first draft but I wanted to share it. Recently in another thread someone said something about the size of the audience and songs meriting larger audiences if you're truly proud. While this may be true this song had a target audience of one, and had 100% success....naturally I welcome all comments and I hope you all can appreciate what a treasure for me this is...I still got some polishing to do on it...but...

The Whisper

:D
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

bump....;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

so I guess this song must reall suck :shrug:

@Hink, check your PMs
Phil

"The fool who persists in his folly will become wise" - William Blake
*No more band for me* | **My Host**

I really liked this one. The bass line has a "sneaky" feel to it that I like, and the guitar sound is excellent. It really works with the bass.

I wasn't crazy about the drums. For one thing, they seem to mirror the bass too closely, and there's a gating effect (at least, it sounds like it) on the cymbal that I found a bit jarring.

ISTR you complaining about your voice. I don't think you have a "bad" voice, but it does sound like a difficult instrument to work with and get it to fit in. FWIW, I thought you did a better job of that on this track than on the other track of yours that I listened to (I forget the name, but I did post in the thread, I think). You voice reminds me of the vocalist in that band that did the song "Been Caught Stealin'" or something like that.

I also really like the gtr diddling at the end. With some percussion I imagined it devolving into some sort of Middle Eastern kind of jam, I don't know why.
P2 3.2GHz, XP Pro, M-Audio FW-1814, Cubase SX3

thanx sangha...funny you say that about the drums because I actually started with drums on this and wrote them to the cadence of the poem, then I added the bassline. At one point it had a piano part and another had hammond, but I settled on just guitar... ;)

I know the charts at soundclick are crap...but still a week after giving it to my father number two in folk rock (really not sure that was the right place) still warms my heart some
http://www.soundclick.com/genres/charts ... rentpage=1

Return to “Music Cafe”