Portishead style Broadway + LoFi + Sleek

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This for all of you who were going:"I wonder when sleek is going to get off his ass and find some obscure Anthony Newley/Leslie Bricuse song from a 40+ year-old musical and record a new lo-fi version of it???"

Never one to keep that group waiting, I went and did it.

The Joker

...keep in mind that Leslie Bricuse went on to do some James Bond themes later on...

Comments etc. very useful.

-S.
Last edited by Sleek Month on Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Is this all you slick? Doesnt sound like i remember you to. Nice tune tho, very cool.

Excellent... Reminds me of the sort of stuff the All Seeing I do/did :cool:
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

I haven't heard this song since I was 10 years old.

This is way better than the original.

Rock on dude!

krim wrote:Is this all you slick? Doesnt sound like i remember you to. Nice tune tho, very cool.
Yeah, all me. I couldn't even find a midi file to build on, bastard obscure song! Figuring out that horn part with the minor second in the arrangement seriously hurt my brain...
Excellent... Reminds me of the sort of stuff the All Seeing I do/did
Wow. Excellent. I loved that record...practically wore out the grooves on the CD! I thought I was the only one who remembered them. Sheffield. Woot.
I haven't heard this song since I was 10 years old.

This is way better than the original.

Rock on dude!
Cool...same here.(Warning:Long story coming)

When I was a kid, one of my best friends dads was the head of the local theatre. When I was 8 (or so) they gave me free tickets to a play for my birthday.

...the play was "The roar of the greasepaint the smell of the crowd", which featured this song. (Very odd play. I totally didn't get it when I was a kid, I mean, come on, it's a musical about the struggle between the classes!)

...and that was the last (and only) time I ever heard this song.

But somehow, it stuck in my head for, oh, 30 years, (Which is funny, because as we all know, I'm only 29), until I finally figured out which song from which musical it was and downloaded it.

...however, as cool as Anthony Newley is, his version was way more over the top than I remembered, so I recorded my own that's more like I remember.

So there,

-Ssssssss.

excellent. i don't know the original, so i'm not really sure what part is yours (singing apart, i mean)

a bit too lo-fi for my taste, tho.

Good stuff Sleek! I think I've heard the original, but I can't think of where or when that possibly happened. Truly a testament to it being timeless. I'm with Wopelka, this would sound better in full glory (16bit), but the effect is very...er....effective.
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE.... I don't know the original... I wasn't alive yet. But I love this... especially how you took it and made it sound so vintage. I got a mental picture of a hippie performing it on the ed sullivan show. don't worry, thats a good thing for me.

er...is that actually you singing?!

:) 8) really great! i haven't heard this forever, as others mention above sounds better than recall, and the sound totally authentic! wish i could do that.

regards

cool tune
2 thumbs up

It brought to mind that James Bond theme you did a while back... :hihi:

Way stylistic mate! Did you 'vinylize' it? ;)

very cool tune!

awesome production.

I don't remember the original,
but this is a great performance and a very authentic production. Nice one Sleek. 8)

Return to “Music Cafe”