2 Versions of the Same DnB Track (Feat REGULA VST by XOXOs)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Regular 2
Regular 1

These tracks were inspired by the new movement of drum n' bass that has been made popular by (though not nearly invented by) Pendulum, consisting of more surprising and unorthodox structures (like quiet breakdowns followed by sudden loud, hard music, etc.). Also long, more random melodies with the bass. More live-style than headphone music.

The bass in the first one was made by Regula, my new favorite synth. It is perfect for DnB (though the synth takes a while to learn). Bass synth in both cases was: Fruity chorus >Ephonic LOFI >CamelPhatFree > Kjaerhus Flanger >Auto filter.

Effects were made with fruity granulator. Pads were made with morpheus. Percussion is firefight break layered with programed drum hits.

Advice appriciated! enjoy.

-EDIT- oh yea, and that's multiple samples of airplane crash scenes from random movies :hihi:
Last edited by The Chase on Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Chase, I always marvel at the pro-quality sound of your tracks. I'm not as into tech-step style d'n'b as I am into breakcore and drill and bass, but I like the solidness of your tracks.

Are these full length tracks, or just samples? they seem pretty short.

anyhow, keep it up!

Would you consider trading some remixing later this summer?

later
Xero

xerocreep wrote:Chase, I always marvel at the pro-quality sound of your tracks. I'm not as into tech-step style d'n'b as I am into breakcore and drill and bass, but I like the solidness of your tracks.

Are these full length tracks, or just samples? they seem pretty short.

anyhow, keep it up!

Would you consider trading some remixing later this summer?

later
Xero
Thanks, mate! Hell yes i would be up for some remixing.

These are pretty much just the middle part of my tracks as I wouldn't post a full length track meant to be mixed.

NIce Chase, at work on my dinky speakers, I preferred #1 (bottom link).
Do you eq stuff much, or do you tweak the individual sounds so that you don't need to eq/compress/worry about dynamics?
..what goes around comes around..

ouroboros wrote:Do you eq stuff much, or do you tweak the individual sounds so that you don't need to eq/compress/worry about dynamics?
I always compress as needed (and I consider myself fairly well at it), but I'm not the best at any EQ job above the basics so i tend to tweak the indivisual sounds to fit eachother.

Probably the biggest thing Im working on, but it's kinda hard as you cant practice EQ'ing so much.

Why do you ask?

I find I am not so good with compression so I tend to find sounds that fit and eq if necessary; I guess I'm wondering if I need to learn how to unlock the potential of compressors to ever have a great sound. Your mixes sound well defined despite a lot of sound going around, and you retain a good bass despite compressing, so I wondered if eq or compression was your main tool.
..what goes around comes around..

ouroboros wrote:I find I am not so good with compression so I tend to find sounds that fit and eq if necessary; I guess I'm wondering if I need to learn how to unlock the potential of compressors to ever have a great sound. Your mixes sound well defined despite a lot of sound going around, and you retain a good bass despite compressing, so I wondered if eq or compression was your main tool.
Compression is a nessesity to sounding professional. I didn't believe it when people said this but after reading a few tutorials in CM I played with it for a while and reflected on my music - I could tell I had grown a lot by learning how to compress. There is a great tutorial (I forget by who. If I can't find it on the net I'll host the txt file) explaining a technique of compression called "Like Cracking A Safe". You dont absolutely have to though. A number of great producers say the never use them.

On this track I didnt want the bass to take away form the kick's punch, so I used the FLStudio 'Peak Controller' to bring down the low frequencies of the bass when the kick was triggered (FLStudio's equivelant of side-chaining compression). This way, the volume of the kick isn't effected at all - It only brings down the bass of the bass. The result of doing this is an untouched kick that fits in with the bass while not having any phasing problems. After that though, I do compress the rest of the drums with the bass.

Chase wrote: -EDIT- oh yea, and that's multiple samples of airplane crash scenes from random movies :hihi:
im sure we will have to eat each others essays to survive, sir!

"its all about the aliasing" :p
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Here's the tutorial I was looking for. I could only find it in a forum post:

http://www.totalrecallrecordings.co.uk/ ... c.php?t=13

Number 2 kinda reminds me of the way I feel when I ain't so Regula...

Number 1 is more to my liking.

Return to “Music Cafe”