Cover: Against All Odds

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently picked a MIDI file of "Against All Odds" and worked with it... I can't sing, so I asked a friend of mine to do some vocals...

This is, waht she came up with...: Against All Odds

She works with a simple soundblaster card, a cheap Sure micro and Magix Music Maker and her talent. All the vocal bits were her idea...

What do you think? I love her voice!

no comments? I guess, some feedback on her beautiful voice would do her justice... ;-)

She's got potential for sure.
But there's quite some intonation problems, which gets pretty much noticeable during the doublings and the two part voicings.
Also, I think you should really do a better backing in case you wanted this to be anything more but a demo for "Tanzmucke" stuff.
And of course you should get her recorded through a decent mic setting.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

To my ears, it sounds like she's singing slightly flat most of the time. Some pitch correction may help.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Hmm, t'lass is trying, but I still prefer my version

:love:

Sascha's right - there's definitely some potential there, you can hear some very good qualities to her voice, which could certainly come out with more practice.

IMHO the "squeezed" start to every line (emotion?) gets really old really quickly. Don't take that as too negative, it's just my opinion.
Trying to change the world by posting on a forum is like crying on the Sun to put it out.

donkey tugger wrote:Hmm, t'lass is trying, but I still prefer my version
Me too :D
How comes I missed that before?
Pure class!
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

donkey tugger wrote:Hmm, t'lass is trying, but I still prefer my version

:love:
Quality!
Trying to change the world by posting on a forum is like crying on the Sun to put it out.

:hihi: @ donkey

WoJ

I understand the criticisms above, but I liked her voice quite a bit. I thought the pitch was fine when she wasn't doubling. I have great pitch, but have, on rare occasions, had problems doubling and / or harmonizing with myself. In my case, it's a monitoring problem... When you are hearing 2 or more of yourself in headphones (as opposed to hearing your voice resonating in your own head and chest) it can be challenging to sort out what you're hearing and where it's coming from.

If you were producing a song with a harmony guitar lead, you wouldn't want the guitar sound to be exactly the same on both tracks, because it would make it harder for the listener to distinguish the parts. You might use a different pickup setting, different effects, or maybe even a different instrument to make sure the parts were distinct. Vocals need the same distinction, and when multiple tracks are being generated by the same singer, obviously varying the pickup setting and instrument itself are not options.

If she was tracking with the levels near where they were in this mix, there's a chance she would've had trouble hearing both the harmonic content of the song (provided by the piano) and the harmony she was trying to lay down.

Things to try:
1) Have her record with one headphone on and one off.
2) Have her record with the piano and harmony vocal levels turned up, lead vocal turned down.
3) Temporarily EQ and effect the lead vocal so that she can follow the phrasing but not get thrown off by the identical timbre of two of the same instrument playing at once.

Steady On!

EDIT - I almost forgot, she can try panning the lead and harmony vocals. Any vocals already recorded should go to one side and the track currently being laid down to the other side. Keep the instrumentation closer to the middle.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Return to “Music Cafe”