Hear my old song, new - backwards!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Came across this old recording of a club performance ('96 or 97 I think). Good ol song, thought I'd try recomposing it backwards. Check out the rough beginnings...just added bass n drums at this point. Will add vocals, Pad, and Guitar. I called it backstabber edit because at one point you can clearly hear the singer (not me) say Back Stabber, least I can ;)

ReSeT - Geode (backstabber edit)

No one has a comment?

!sdrawkcab doog ytterp sdnuoS

.htgnel rof gnithgif eb ot mees uoY

(: .tuo denword era slacoV

. .
_ . _
( \_/ )
\___/
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I liked it, but the vocals are drowned and the pad sounds really cheap.

The backwards drums are a little groovy with the reverse tails.

Is that guitar? Sounds cool.

Work with it some more! Do some slicing!

pannewb

Thanks for the comment.
Fighting for length? What does that mean?

Ya - the original recording wasn't the best quality (off an old cassete tape) and I had to EQ a bit to subdue the harsh backward snare, which probably cut some nice frequencies other instruments were occupying. The vocals and all are just a scratchpad placeholder anyway, to be replaced with real vocals, new pad sound, and guitar.

pannewb wrote: htgnel rof gnithgif eb ot mees uoY
:lol:

Still don't know what the "fighting for length" comment means?.....oh well :shrug:

Not really after critiques, per se, as much as sharing and discussing a cool composition tool. This trick has some appeal since I'm often prone to recommit the same musical phrasings. Hearing my stuff backwards forces me to think in different rythyms and melodic phrasings. It also comes up with some weird ass lyrics that, when copied as per vocal performance, somewhat repeats the original lyrics when reversed again - I think that's cool as hell!

I recently did this before on another song which turned out well (IMO). If you reverse this version, it sounds suprisingly like the original, lyrics and all. :D Maybe you think me :nutter: , but lostsa fun! :lol:

I'll repost an update once I get further along on it. :wink:

1-2-Many wrote:Still don't know what the "fighting for length" comment means?.....oh well :shrug:

Not really after critiques, per se, as much as sharing and discussing a cool composition tool. This trick has some appeal since I'm often prone to recommit the same musical phrasings. Hearing my stuff backwards forces me to think in different rythyms and melodic phrasings. It also comes up with some weird ass lyrics that, when copied as per vocal performance, somewhat repeats the original lyrics when reversed again - I think that's cool as hell!

I recently did this before on another song which turned out well (IMO). If you reverse this version, it sounds suprisingly like the original, lyrics and all. :D Maybe you think me :nutter: , but lostsa fun! :lol:

I'll repost an update once I get further along on it. :wink:
no one is going to tell you about the length. You will just have to pick up on it as you post more at KVR.

I've used backward music for new compositions. I remixed robert miles' "Children" trance tune, and I just recorded the beginning reversed it. The beginning of that track backwards is fuckin' badass.

@Chase, I'd like to hear that...can you post it?

meh i would but i did it like 3 years ago with fruityloops 2 and it's quite embarrasing. I'll do it again sometime.

Return to “Music Cafe”