july contest ... GOSSIP

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry - too late with the vote :(
But anyway, so I post it here: :)

1. Glooper - Disco Mission
2. tuz - eyenipplevoivoid
3. Nikp2000 - the bollywood hillbillies
4. Barnadine - Man of Grace
5. Art Gillespie - Controversy
6. Diek - Respekt
7. Col G - MC Loser
8. Wopelka - Cave Hall Electro Menuet
9. Lady J - Jump and wind
10. Ixox - Un tout dernier tango

More I liked:
Respirator, Jens, Markleford Friedman, Andreas Ehrhardt, Herodotus, Pheeleep,
& respect to all the other contributants!
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

hi kaos, thx for your comment! :)
Symphony Nr.1

Hi Barbadine,
lots of thx for your extended review! :)
Yeah, it was a sort of segment it to 2min. thing,
though I'm critical enough to understand why this song wasn't voted nr.1 :hihi:
Symphony Nr.1

Hey Wopelka, like your music a lot :)
Thx for da commentwork,
if I only understood "Won't throw a cut",
guess/translate it you weren't that impressed :lol:
Symphony Nr.1

Respirator, thx for taking the time to comment my little one 8)
Symphony Nr.1

rockstar_not;
thx for da comment :)
Symphony Nr.1

thomekk wrote:Hey Wopelka, like your music a lot :)
thomekk wrote:Thx for da commentwork,
if I only understood "Won't throw a cut",
guess/translate it you weren't that impressed :lol:
mmmmhh.. i couldn't say... it was the work of Xoxos' random lyrics generator... :-o :shock: :wink:

:-o :lol:
So you did listen and typed "random"?
(not knowing the lyrics-generators masterwork-power)
Symphony Nr.1

thomekk wrote::-o :lol:
So you did listen and typed "random"?
(not knowing the lyrics-generators masterwork-power)
get it at xoxos' place

timfarman wrote:I was particularly tickled (trying saying that after .5 bottle of absynth) by Barnadine's entry, very Jacques Brel to these ears...
Many thanks for the kind words, Tim. I too have found that absinthe numbs the pain of listening to my music. :)

And thanks for the post-vote, thomekk. 8)

griels wrote:
freeztar wrote: Griels - Movin groove dat be...movin yo!!!! Fade out sounds abrupt yo!!! Fo realz it be groovin and all, but no boomboom and no clubsound!!!!
Interesting.. Cheers for the review Freeztar... Funny, last months entry was criticised for being too loud... By boomboom do you mean the drums? It's funny because I initially used a breaksier beat but it didn't seem to groove so well with the bass as the rather monotonous house beat I replaced it with. Perhaps I could have thickened the whole sound up a bit with some filtering etc? Or maybe the actual bass content was lacking? I'm curious because listening to the entries this month I thought mine maybe sounded a little washed out somehow, but in what way I'm not sure... Educate me :)
I'll try...
Now that DJ Frozen Star has taken off I can elaborate in a much better way. ;) It was tough sometimes trying to keep the arrogant DJ approach to the reviews. I felt like saying more about the tracks, but had to keep the club mentality. ;)

Boomboom is the thump and overall bass frequency content. For example, listen to my entry, it has way too much boomboom. :lol:
Let me put it this way. If you were in the club listening to your tune, the vocals would be the loudest element. The bass drum is really downplayed, it sounds good and has a good thump, but needs some more volume imo. The bass guitar is also not so bassy, it sounds like it has a lot of mid and treble, but not a lot of strength in the bass frequencies. Perhaps that was a problematic mixing situation, in which case I understand. Perhaps some multiband compression on the bass freqs of the bass guitar and bass drum would help.

Also, for such a "clubby" sounding song, I think the vocals were overused. I like how you used them in the part that goes "come on baby", that works REALLY well. The rest of the vocals make it sound more 'song-like', if that makes sense. Depeche Mode were very good at making 'songs' that were actually playable at the club, perhaps they would be a good listen to find a good synthesis.

All that being said, I liked your tune a lot! I love the breathy, delayed, vocal hits after the "come on baby..." part.
I hope this helps clarify, if not then let me know and I'll try to explain it better. :)
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

freeztar wrote: Boomboom is the thump and overall bass frequency content. For example, listen to my entry, it has way too much boomboom. :lol:
All that being said, I liked your tune a lot! I love the breathy, delayed, vocal hits after the "come on baby..." part.
I hope this helps clarify, if not then let me know and I'll try to explain it better. :)
Excellent, thanks so much for that elaboration :D

Some of it confirms what I already suspected, but was underplaying in trying not to offend those who dislike clubbier elements. In fact I had two sends going from the bass, one going through a wah-wah effect and phaser, the other going to a sidechaining compressor (ducked by the kick). I guess I overplayed the middy stuff and underplayed the bassy stuff, mainly for fear of getting a muddy sounding mix on headphones or multimedia speakers. I think maybe I need a sub so I can get a clearer picture of what's going on (my KRK V6s only go down to 58hz).

In the end I guess you can't make music by committee though, and I pretty much agree with what you say. Feedback like this is always so valuable.. I'll try and review some stuff this week (including yours of course).
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

wrong thread :x
Andreas (I presume my forefathers were apes)

Image Listen to some Monkey-Music

freeztar wrote: Jens - Yeah man, fo realz!!!! This be dat vinyl whos cover is white on de edges from use yo!!! Spinning it asap at da club, THIS BE BANGIN!!!

:oops: :-D

thanks, Freeztar...I'm glad if I managed to achieve what I was aiming at - a banging club-track... (well acually it was meant to be a bit of a parody... :hihi:)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Music Cafe”