july contest ... REVIEWS Thread

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's my first batch of reviews. The score system I developed through the course of about three seconds, isn't meant to be taken all that seriously. It doesn't
even indicate how I'm going to vote. They're entirely random.

Ok, here goes:

Lady J, "Jump and Wind":
I think it's ok except for the sibilants when the vocals are introduced. Hope you're not thinking of using them for a trademark. The voice is quite likable apart from that. It's on the verge of being catchy, but I find it too fast paced for the harmonic content, and too formulaic, to give it a better mark. Work on production and slow down.
[<<<<<<====]

jamesb, "Moosho":
One of the best progressions. I really like the interplay between everything. Your lead lines are great. Production isn't all it could be, but musically, this has alot going for it. Found myself looking out the window. In a finely tuned setting, this would be perfectly fine as a dance tune, but I guess I'm not in that setting, and felt more encouraged to listen.
[<<<<<<<===]

Armadillo, "Panther":
This is more or less well made as far as tarnce goes, but I don't really like this type of music, I have to admit. The vocals are mediocre, with the beginning few phrases sounding very dissonant. I'm not hearing alot of sincerity in this, which is a rather good trait for dance music. :D Mixing however is good, and I guess composition for this type of thing is quite good, and danceability of course is good. Too much sideway lfo/envelope panning for me though.
[<<<<<<====]

AndreasE, "Dance of the Animals":
Mix a few dogs, good waltz time, children, chickens, accordion, banjo and distorted guitar and you have a good tune apparently. Could very well dance to this. As for the harmonic aspect and composition, I have to say that it does feel coherent, but in a very subreal type of way. I'm not sure what I mean by that, except that it's a jumble, a mess, that works. ;)
[<<<<<<<===]

liqih, "Tip Tap Stomp":
Has a cool shuffle march feel to it. Sounds aren't very interesting, but are masterfully chosen for the task. That muffled sounding rim/snare thing is neat. The tune itself finds me thinking of stuff like the Sam n'Max franchise. I could very well dance to this too. Extra points awarded for the fadeout. Knowing the many things that can go wrong with one of those, I have to say that your execution is strikingly good!
[<<<<<<<===]

knockman/wildchurch, "Harimogura":
This is one fantastic piece of music. I only don't like the brass samples all that much, but as musical devices go, they do fit the song nicely. Lovely vocals. Another thing that detracts slightly from it's chances is danceability. It does have a decisive rhytm that lends itself well to waiting anxiously for the next bar whilst moving body parts, but more for twitching than dancing.
[<<<<<<<<<=]

Gregjazz, "All I Want to Do is Dance":
As I mentioned before, this reminds me of Michael Jackson's "Baby Be Mine". The instrumentation and mixing is perfect, the voice is a little off in places but as a whole it works superbly well. Only thing I could detract from this grooving tune is danceability, as it isn't your average move to the groove. A bit like knockman's entry, it is very driven, but more for the ear than feet.
Some of the bass is very ON... I get sort of lightheaded when I think about it.
[<<<<<<<<<<]

ugo, "Bonfire":
Well ugo, I promised you a review and you needen't hold your breath anymore; here it is! This is the most danceable track of all I've heard so far. It does span over the same theme throughout, but I think for this type of contest, that's ok and even favourable to get people entarnced. :D You couldn't have done a much better job of arranging it. The harmonic content has been kept fairly simple, with very good sound choices.
Production is very good aswell. When the intensity is at it's highest, there's a fair bit of competing, but in this case it's very effective in pushing it forward, and I don't find the overall mix cluttered.
Great ending too.
[<<<<<<<<<=]

Barnadine, "A Man of Grace":
This is a very elegant tune. There was one point where I thought they sounded too contrived (phrase back down from the up tempo section), but overall the vocals are superb. Very good lyrics and form. It has a completeness to it, and I'm very much reminded of Suzanne Vega (don't ask me why that is). The overall mix, ambience, etc is very good. The rhytmic change which leads to the more upbeat part felt slightly too abrupt at first listen, but now that I know where it leads I'm liking it alot.
[<<<<<<<<<=]

i'm so shit at writing reviews that i needed some exterior help. i asked a lot of people but they were too busy posting in HPC, so i had that wonderful idea. Please let me introduce my guest reviewer, Mr. Rurik's Lyrics Generator. Don't you know him already? He's hard to understand, sometimes, but he's errr... deep. :shock:

Enjoy!

PS (thanks to respirator for the template which i shamelessly ripped off.)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

bitshift, Controversy: everyone's going to tell your eternity

bastien, Nacht: you're going to catch the smoke

Diek, Respect: it will play somebody's hollow pig

Markleford, rioazul: somebody might do it's common south

Softegg, passage: i'm going to stroke your contents

Thomekk, lalala: it won't throw a cut

Tuz, Eyenipplevoidoid: nobody won't escape his warmth

PepeLogu, Kvr: you could miss everyone's hollow melody

Kaze, Jinro and other spirits: it might devise your whole low eternity

Col.G., MC Loser: it might transmit everyone's shelf

Warbug, Doa: it should climb our better wet chest

Glooper, Disco Mission: anyone should warp my vibration

Scamme, It’s all synthetic: it's going to receive your event

Mystahr, Summersbreeze: i wouldn't watch his age

Techbot, Ballam de nana Heydum De: i shouldn't reveal our close kick

Nikp2000, the Bollywood Hillbillies: it's going to reveal the sound

Barnadine, Man Of Grace: nobody would sense your mother

Andy., Summer on The Sea: i could deceive your floor

Kovacs, What I Want To Do: it's going to smell everyone's food

You, Feedback and Oscillate: she might produce it's echo

Mchlwlsn, Seeker: you're going to break her thorn

Freeztar, So Danco Samba: he should pay somebody's last pattern

Ixox, Un Tout Dernier Tango: you're going to smell everyone's soil

Herodotus, Frog don’t dance: you could hit everyone's secret woman

Jaidy, Zisorzat: somebody might not cover your common fluid job

Beardedone, Spinner Fall: he's going to observe everyone's fool

Scarabaues, The return of Fonk’n’stein: you won't continue a head

Rsmus7, Poddies Dance: we're going to crush our wood

Ugo, Bonfire: they wouldn't decide our loose precious pleasure

Aieda_cin, Forrage: everyone couldn't try your octave

Vurt, Dance Or Die It’s your choice: light her dear filter

Respirator: it didn't teach their cloud

Khepira, Ikt Hut Eit: I like the attitude. you're going to cover your little plan

GregJazz, All I want to do is Dance: they couldn't pay the harmonic

Pheleep, Make Music For Fun: you're going to complete their hero

Wilkoryte, Slowdance: i should carry your maker

Astanine, Halothane: watch your weapon

Aldred, Twinkle Toes: you mix everyone's dear morning

AndreasE, Dance of the Animals: he might kick our natural first week

Knockman, Harimogura: it should disable somebody's part

Bitcrusher, My First Guru: anyone's going to stroke anyone's switch

Rockstar_not, Dance song Serial no. 1: it's going to kiss my precious bright spell

Ja.x, Toast Yourself: Strange: nobody should ignore your perfect gear

Patrick9, Konversation: Massive. you will trouble somebody's new next case

Katanaman, Dance: you might not resent anyone's echo

Shuhzen, Epic Shapes Elapse: he won't disable his number

Hovmod, Last Farewell Tango: it couldn't draw it's complete lady

Farlukar, Batium: we didn't love anyone's best sister

Scuzzphut, Screamer: it's going to place anyone's mother

Damstraversaz, Final Pépé au Bal:. he should generate somebody's synthesizer

TristezaOrange, BipolarBear: exploit a perfect fruit

Mully, U Belong 2 Me: you should enjoy my worst knowledge

Armadillo, Panther: it would stroke our careful sand

Liqih, Tip Tap Stomp: you should represent somebody's dark north

Richiebee, Dance To This: he would see the middle cloud

Wopelka, The Cave Hall Electro Menuet: somebody should try everyone's weapon

JamesB, MooShoo: you're going to study anyone's note

Lady J, Jump And Wind: se's going to roll somebody's conscience

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mr. Rurik's Lyrics Generator

It's about now that reviewer's fatigue sets in, and I start wondering what the hell I'm doing making all these sweeping comments about other people's music. It's a fine line between well-meaning criticism and patronising bullshit, and I'm crossing it all the time. I only do this reviewing lark because I appreciate it when people criticise my own stuff, not because I think I have anything really useful to say. I'd rather shut up and listen.

Enough of that. On with the blather...

tuz/eyenipplevoidoid - Yes! Now this is dance. I like that panned PM-sounding tinkly hammered thing, that'd be the Steampipe? Great momentum here. Old folk in a circle, toothless grins, clapping, willing the young maniacs in the middle to spontaneously combust. Or one of those vicious old fairy tales with the cursed shoes that make you dance till you die. Excellent. Opa!

thomekk/lalala - Sort of a compressed musical history, squeezing about 12 types of music into 2 minutes. There's a bit of everything here - a few bars of shoegaze, a few bars of funk, a few bars of Nine Inch Nails - but it all hangs together very well, with clever segues between moods. There's a natural flow to the song that probably took a bit of work, given the shifts of tone. Nice opening. The whine lead gets a little piercing, but doesn't overstay its welcome. There are some sections it'd be great to expand, but I can see what you're going for here. Exploring genres without being derivative. Nice.

softegg/Passage - This is an interesting area of dance music for me. Where techno starts to bleed into early idm. For people who like a bit of texture and mood along with their beats. Some excellent sounds here, little background noises suggesting a cavernous space. I like the low metallic throaty sounds that come in around the minute mark. Might be good to give a few elements a rest from time to time, tension and release, cut out the echoing hi-hats for a little while and develop the deeper sounds. But this is very well done.

Markleford/Rio Azul - Heh. Clever. Try waltzing to this, bastards. The drums have a bit of a cardboard flavour, a recorded-in-the-next-room vibe, which is most obvious when the electric guitar takes a rest at 0:34 - the mix suddenly sounds flat and exposed. Great brass, though. And the way you've swung the final phrase of the melody (at 0:14 et al.) is incredibly catchy, justifies price of admission by itself. Johann would approve.

Diek/Respect - It's a bit disorienting at first hearing an accent like yours in this genre, and the mostly a capella section at the start has a kind of charming clumsiness. The mix is odd and wavery, perhaps through overcompression, doesn't let the music breathe as much as it could. Very well-constructed song though, excellent guitar work, and obviously born out of love for this music. But... the song's too long by 2 minutes! Maybe it's a corrupt download, but I've tried twice, and both times I got a 4 minute song. Even stranger, the second half is just a repeat of the first, but with ugly glitches that sound like bad encoding. I'm guessing this is just some technical mix-up, so I'll be judging the song as if it ended at the two minute mark.

bastien/Nacht - Some great sounds here, but you seem a bit trapped by the 8 bar tyranny, which gives a formulaic feel to a lot of dance. 8 bars airy synth, then 8 bars synth + arp (same chord pattern), then then beats come in (same chord pattern). And after 16 bars of nice heavy beats, you don't quite seem to know where to go with it, so you switch to a synth break almost by default (same chord pattern), when the dancers really need the percussion, or at least the bass, to keep going. Maybe introducing some new chord changes at 0:51 would be a better way to keep things developing than the current stop/start structure. You do use the break for some nice synth filtering, though. No problem with your sound choices here, but a more imaginative structure would really lift this track, I reckon.

Art Gillespie/Controversy - Return of the artist formerly known as bitshift. Top class recreation. You've distilled all the best bits of the original, the expressive synth twirls, the tight beat. In fact, from memory, this is pretty close to an exact facsimile. Part of me is blown away by the skill involved, part of me wonders why the hell you'd bother. :nutter: Good to see you back in the comps.

Second batch of reviews

Deik Cool Dub track especially liked the panned background vocal effects

Respirator: An anti waltz. I haven't read any posts since my last but I'm gonna assume those bass noises are deliberate. And that this tune is meant to show that 3/4 timing is NOT in fact perfect timing. But that 3/4 can be as disorientating as any other meter. Reminds me of those old things before gramophones with the little spikes, not little music boxes now but bigger eh , things.

SoftEgg: Cool Tribal stuff.Loads of interesting sounds to keep the attention. Theres a gutteral vox way back in the mix I had to strain to hear it, if it was there at all, and I like that (though that could of course be my speakers) but it was the type of tune that encouraged that kind of pscho acoustic meanderings.

NikP2000: Another great take on the dance theme. Had a very Led Zeppelin undertone (but that could be just my odd .

Pepelogu: Superbly mixed, niced vocoder effects. Drums are perfect. One of the vocals samples stands out a bit andcould be lowere methinks.

Tuz: Big Sound Great fun Mashup with style. The sounds are great and its a very witty take on the dance theme. Top notch

Katanaman: Wow Really impressed with this. Love the keys and the wah wah. The mix of funk and cut beatz is odd but works really really well.

Col G. Welcome back I really notived your absence from the last comp. I loved it, great Vocals As I said before You're quite Mad. Now I must check out your site tonight.

Glooper Great use of vocal samples man! And a top tune. This has total Big Bad Major Label potential but has the added advantage of being really really good.

Yours etc
Rob

Possibly the last of 'em:

chooch/rough music - I'm very comfortable in this sound world. Murky synths groping around. Background chitters. Epileptic exploratory percussion. Not easy for the body to dance to without some sort of interesting prosthesis, but there is that term 'braindance'. (Fairly horrible word, yeah. Not as bad a label as 'idm' but still... Terrible genre names for great music.) Yeah, so I like it. Got a problem with that?

GuitarJeff/Catch the Buzz - Definite trend here. A hefty chunk of kvr seems to associate dancing with the 70s and 80s. Last time some of us willingly danced, maybe. :hihi: Again, one of those recreations of a past era I wouldn't necessarily have chosen to revisit, but well done nonetheless. A few nitpicks - the drum intro's a little stiff, the rhythm guitar sticks out of the mix a bit. I like how things go futuristic for a few seconds at 1:22, catapulting us forward into the cutting edge... eighties. Heh.

Le Peu/N Express - Opens with some nice percussive noises. And the sparse guitar-type sounds in the background are very pleasant. Seems to subscribe to that idea so common this month: dance = unvaried repetition of 4 bar chord sequence. Which may be a fair assessment of a lot of dance music, but usually leaves me wanting a little more harmonic substance. The strings in the latter half do alleviate that a bit with the occasional stray note. Tasteful.

knoob/Fall Apart - Once again, a straight-up dance tune that I don't have much to say about. Everything fits into place well. The guitars sound a bit thin and artificial; real ones might give even more 'rock energy'. :hyper: Songs like this don't leave much of an aftertaste with me. But it's solidly built, according to industry-standard design principles, and keeps up the tension well.

peppy197/Lief - Solid rhythm. Slight oddness to the mix, hard to pinpoint what, perhaps overuse of a stereo widener, excessive panning or something along those lines? Doesn't feel quite right. I didn't particularly warm to the piano line, the melody felt a bit undeveloped and lacking. The central groove gives a great solid base to the song, so I was a bit disappointed the other instruments didn't take the chance to play against this and set off in interesting melodic directions. Mostly they seemed tied into the groove, or just circled around a little aimlessly. But I like it when you get more dissonant towards the end. A great slow-burning rhythm, just needs some more inspired jamming to go with it.

rockstar_not wrote:

Next batch of reviews:

softegg - passage

some don't like panning delays, I myself am a fan and appreciate it in your track in several flavors. I would have liked a more distinct melody - but I'm a traditionalist that way. Danceable, yes. Oh, your track is coded 0606 in the title as well.

Markleford - Rio Azul

Ah yes, now here is the spirit of the competition!!! This is some great stuff. I hope you had as many smiles putting it together as I am having listening to it.

Bastien - Nacht

I like the track, but the quiet sections would make it a bit difficult to dance to.

bitcrusher/art gillespie - controversy

Yeah it's a re-make, but very well done. bitcrusher gets Purple Prince of KVR award for this entry.

chooch - rough music

I like it; can't dance to it, but saving it for my mp3 playlist regardless.

guitarjeff - Catch the buzz

Philip Bailey guest stars as vocalist in guitarjeff's entry. I better not let my wife hear your track. She loves EWF and she'll ask me "Why can't you make music like that?" It's all authentic EWF except for the bass, which needs more booty and movement/variation.

Diek - Respect

Some reggae w/dub delays, original in this competition. 'Respect' for finding an unused niche in this month's competition, minus points for the abrupt fade.

That's the end of reviews for me for now - doesn't this close soon?

YoYo!!!
Still kickin dem beatz out my speakas!!!
Mo words fo da peeps!!!
DJ Frozen Star comments
yo....yo....yo..yo..yoyoyoyo!!!

Aieda_cin - Groovin shit yo!!! Dark bass is bringing doz hardheadz out on da floor, fo realz!!! This be mixin great wit dat lite and fluufy shit fo real!! Endin iz a beeietch to mix in though!!!

Ugo - Bonfirez be blazin yo!!! Fo realz, this be bumpin and groovin!!! Little too hard fo da soft crowd t'night, but this shit be wreckin some heavy parties!!! Intense, and a booty mova fo realz!!!

rsmus7 - Great mix yo!!! This be mixin good wit dat trebly shit!!! A little strange, but dats how I be spinnin'!!! This be real easy on the fades too yo!!!

j_T - Funkin yo, but not full fo da club!!! Grates a lil bit on da cheddar, but some nice stuff going on overall yo!! Needs some BoomBoom and phat mix to stand out on da dancefloor yo!!

Beardedone - Cool groovz yo!!! This be dat late night stuuf dat be gettin people tranced out yo, fo realz!!! The dancefloor be empty, but peeps be enjoying it, fo real!!

Jaidy - Got dat flava yo, fo realz!!! Dancefloor is alive and I be spinnin this jive!!! Funkin groovez and phat beatz make the shit completez, Fo Realz!!! I be keepin this vinyl handy!!!

Herodotus - Awesome intro bro, fo realz!!! Da build be waning and comes late yo, but great fo a start set!!! Yo, it be endin before it be beginin, perfect fo da grabba!!!

Ixox - This be hype yo!!! Playing it at da house and itz not ready fo da club, but wit somez work yo...!!! Very cool riddems you be bangin!!! Luv ta hear da rest!!! :razz:

mchwlsln - Diggin it for realz!!! Da mix be a little off fo da club speakas, but shit be bangin no doubt!!! I be groovin all ova dis shit and peeps on da floor be bangin along!!! Props yo, fo realz!!!

YouTM - Groovin shit yo!!! Got me movin in da booth tonite, fo realz!!! Great zhit fo dem 80's gen dance peeps!! Got a few you records laying around, but dis shit be up dere in dancability, fo realz!!!

Kovacs - Can't use thiz one in da club, but good stuffz, if I filter out da vocals!!! Singin is fine yo, but too upfront in da club speakas!! Bangin mix no doubt tho yo!!!

Andy. - Yo, this shit be cool tunez fo me, but sometin lakin fo da club!!! Got me kinda movin, but peeps be lookin at me funny, gotta mix in the next song!!

Barnadine - Yo, I be spinnin this shit on tango night!! Lyrics be bangin along wit da tunez!!! Da club manager be lookin at me funny yo, but it iz disco night afterall!! Funk em, I take this beauty home and enjoy it witout da dancefloor peeps (until Tango night dat iz)!!!

MG505 - Needle be broken yo!!! (Dead Link)

Joenco - Same as above bro!!!

Nikp2000 - Love da guita shitz yo!!! Not ripe fo da flo yo, but it be bangin da wallz o my den, fo sho!!! Luv da ethnic vibe yo!!

Techbot - Phat beatz yo, fo realz!!! Cool weird shitz dat be bringin dem bitches out no doubt yo!!! This be a lil too much to mix wit, but it be standin on its own!!!

Mystahr - Groovin fo realz yo!!! This be that ambient fix that be bringin all da chill girlz out yo!!! Late nite shiz definit, but pumpin on da downlow!!!

scamme - Yeah Bro!!! This shit be bangin off da hook fo realz!!! Peeps be migratin from dem wallflowers to dancin powers!!! Keep bouncin, fo realz!!!

Glooper - Sweet yo!!! Da vocals be makin this shit as tight as a club wristband!!! Movin da peeps fo sho!!!!

Warbug - Long time no see bro!!! This shiz be dat same callibre I mem, but better even yo!!! Peeps be floodin da dancefloor fo this shiz, fo realz!!!! I EQ that bass and all be good in da club!!

Col. G - PCP!!! Good laff yo, but not fo da club!!! Funky cool groove, but not movin here yo!!! I be savin this fo da homeplay!!!

kaze - Whoah, cool vibes yo!! Not da club stuff, but this be spinnin at home fo realz!!! Crazy chillout ambient jive goin on yo!!!

pepelogu - Bumpin yo!! Awesome bass work dat be blastin da club wooferz!!! Needz sometin elz, maybe a hook melody yo!!! Still be bumpin fo realz!!!

tuz - Cool diggy!!! A little bit upfront fo da speakas, but da music be bangin!!! Da instruments be hittin dat shit tight and be soundin boomin, but peeps on da flooor be movin out..!!!
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

as downloaded from kvr radio

votes and comments IMHO,

Make me dance: very subjective, but since the theme you have this
New sounds: sounds and use of them, for my ear anyway
Composition/production: as far as I can reach, also how much I liked the song

0..10 range

disclaimer: techno and trance are usually not my cup of tea.

04.07 - damstraversaz-Pépé va au bal.mp3

lovely playing, udu may be loud but I like it

make me dance: 7
new sounds: 7
composition/production: 9

05-07-Freeztar-SoDancoSamba(FrozenStarMix).mp3

this is very cool to me, some Stereolab sound in it,
mix could be smoother

make me dance: 6
new sounds: 10
composition/production: 8

0506_respirator_waltz.mp3

the mood is perfect, great guitar,
it may not win this dance contest but
this track could be on a CD which I'd buy

make me dance: 4
new sounds: 8
composition/production: 10

0507-aieda_cin-forrage.mp3

well done synth song, but I don't dance this, sorry

make me dance: 3
new sounds: 4

0507-Farlukar_-_Batium.mp3

nice riff, but the mix is not crisp enough IMHO

new sounds: 6

0507-gregjazz---all I want to do is dance.mp3

it may remind that Michael Jackson song,
but the sound is more to Michael Franks,

do you play bass like that?, beautiful!

0507-herodotus-frogs don't dance.mp3

some game or movie track, nice arrangement, a tad repetitive but good

0507-Jaidy---Zisorzat.mp3

fun poingy-poingy, nice overfilled drums

composition/production: 7

0507-Khepira-Ikt_Hut_Eit.mp3

cool voice on funky dance, great atmosphere,
longer version?

make me dance: 8

0507-Lady-J--Jump-And-Wind.mp3

cool, but sounds incomplete

0507-mchlwlsn-seeker.mp3

liked the oriental distorted riff,
and sweeped percussions, but it doesnt's go much further
to justify 2 minutes

composition/production: 6

0507-Pheeleep-Make Music For Fun.mp3

catchy tune, I sing it sometime

0507-ugo-bonfire.mp3

powerfull groove, but not the kind I dance,
the theme is a bit boring, sound is good

0507-utm-feedbackandoscillate_rmx.mp3

liked the use of sounds in pop song,
the rapping is a bit flat, chorus is better,

new sounds: 9

0507_Ixox_UnToutDernierTango.mp3

amazing use of sample, are those samples?
beautiful classy acoustic song,
the theme is not very original, but the piano part is very nice

0507_kovacs_What_I_Want_To_Do.mp3

this is great, but the voice is so over!
as techno rock song I'd really prefer the voice to be into the mix,

05_07_Andy._Summer_on_the_Sea..MP3

nice latin country feel, just mix could be more balanced
among instruments to sound less MIDI

07_05_Beardedone_SpinnerFall.mp3

cool jazzy harmonies, more to listen to than dancing to though

07_05_rsmus7_Poddies_dance.mp3

strange dance track, techno creative approach,
harmony is sick somtimes

dance or die its your choice.mp3

since you kindly ask, I'd prefer to dance,

really liked the tribal groove anyway,
just the "feedback" sound stays up too long

0507-Barnadine-ManOfGrace.mp3

another interpretation of the theme,
a ballad dedicated to a classic dance is nice too,
voice is the best

new sounds: 6

0507-Joenco---Go_Jeanne.mp3

some classic electronics, not very danceable though

0507-nikp2000-the_bollywood_hillbillies.mp3

liked this style a lot, nice melody,
need a remix to dance though

0507-Techbot-Ballam_de_nana_Haydum_De.mp3

really dancing, liked the "ethno" break much

Possibly the last of 'em (again)...

griels/Transmogrified - Great intro and nice quick-fingered bass. Nothing really wrong with the vocalist, but doesn't quite seem to fit the feel of the tune, for me anyway. Would have enjoyed this more as an instrumental, so I could dwell on the sounds. The mid-section covers some smooth territory, but is given a bit of a comic edge by what seem to be the sounds of your vocalist, erm... pleasuring himself. A little too excited by his own company, anyway. :scared: Good stuff, and most imaginative use of car horns this month.

jens/nightclubbing - 'Dance music and poetry'. Together at last. Your poetry tends towards the Dionysian, rather than the Apollonian, which is just right for a song like this. There's an unhurried feel to the groove which works well, though the simple, clean-cut, eighties-influenced sounds undercut the more sensual sentiments of the lyrics. The clav at the end, for instance, feels a bit too cute and innocent for a tune about asses and the shaking thereof, maybe switch it to something a bit smokier?

reviews pt 4...

scamme - It's_All_Synthetic
cool groove, good production, nice attention to details. the guitar feels like a bit of an add-on though. i dont know that the track really needed it.

glooper - DiscoMission
slick production, good groove, and arrangement. i like the addition of the crowd samples.

warbug - DOA
very cool track! i really like this. great groove and great arrangement. i really like the mix of feels and textures.

col.g - mc loser
lots of fun. i dig the slippery dissonance.

kaze -Jinro and Other Spirits (Dance of)
love the drunken and mysterious feel. seems like it would be a good section of a larger piece, possibly for a stage production, but on its own it feels a bit wandering and directionless. i like it though.

pepelogu - PepeLogu-IFellForKVR
im always a sucker for a good vocoder. i like the smooth feel of the track...its a really nice contrast to the drums. however the kick is a bit too heavy, imho. it kind of overpowers.

tuz - eye nipple voidoid
cool spinning, whirling vibe and great feel.

thomekk - heyheyhey(lalala)
i dig the mix of textures and the variety. great feel. strange funk-bastard? a bit strange, perhaps a bit of a bastard, but not particularly funky, imho. ;)

softegg - passage
cool minimal vibe with a good drive. its got a mysterious feel lurking and moving through it that makes you want to look deeper into it. the ending feels like there's room for improvement though. it just kind of falls out.

Markleford - Rio Azul
fun! nice work with the horns and the bass. the mix feels a bit unballenced to me though.

Diek - Respect
i like that this feels like a full and complete song. good effort on the vocals, but i think your delivery could you a bit more work. still feels a bit rough.

bastien - nacht
nice intro and i really dig this groove. great play between the speed and feel of the rhythms and the slow smooth pad. i would have liked to have heard one other part somewhere.

bitshift - controversy
wow...fantastic job on this prince cover! the production, groove and delivery are excellent. well done!

edit: stopped back in again just to say...damm! you really nailed it. im quite impressed.

choochcat - rough music
cool slippery vibe. the feel really pulls me in. i would have like to have heard it developed further.

guitarjeff - catch the buzz
great production, great instrumentation, and of course great guitar playing.

The Peu - N Express
nice arrangement and good groove. i like the little delayed riff and i dig the vibe the strings bring to the track.

knoob - fall apart
good production, but a bit muffled in places. good feel...the song makes you move whether you want to or not. this track would really benefit from vocals. its just begging for them.

peppy197 - lief
low mids are booming too much over here. very interesting feel on this one. its kind of cinematic...i dig it.

griels - Transmogrified
very cool! i love bass line, though its a bit loud compared to the rest of the track. great arrangement. unique and infectious vibe.

jens - nightclubbing
fun track and i like the open feel. i think the guitar might be a bit too far back in the background. not a lot of gray area as to what this song is about. :hihi:

i'm no pro by any means. i just have fun making music and can't really judge at a professional level. just my personal opinions, that's all.

here's some other reviews:

damstraversaz-pepe va au bal-still not able to open this file.. am i doing something wrong here? pm me if you see this.

patrick9-konversation-ok i'm bobbing. foot tapping. not bad, not bad at all. but the ending is too sudden. (look who's talking-i'm the king of fade away :P ) i like it.

kaos axiom-dude.. i still can't see the link!!! can you pm me?

astanine-halothane-very happy and uplifting tunage. i can't dance to this myself. an excellent representation of its genre. not necessarily the type of sound i would listen to but i admire your skills. :)

wilkoryte-slowdance-lots of feeling. i'm the type of guy that would take advantage of this song and grab my girl's ass. very nicely done. i should name myself assman or something. hehe. sounds excellent and very suitable for my plans.

pheeleep-make music for fun-yes!!! thank you. i think this would definitely be great for a s&m club or something. no offense man!!! on the contrary it's a compliment. great-twisted-slow but deadly. :D

gregjazz-all i want to do is dance-hmmm. i don't know about this man. you're obviously very talented, the mix is there, the melody is there, the voice is there. but i can't dance to this man. it's just the type of music that i wouldn't listen to. just personal opinion.

khepira-dance for oil-it's building up!!! it's coming!!! it's coming!!! you faked it. kinda anticlimactic. i wanted it to explode man!! overall excellent sounding to my ears. but i definitely wanted a bit more action in this.

respirator-waltz-odd notes here and there. i like it. :D makes me wanna get high. hehe. depressed. i can see a long dark haired girl about to lose it dancing with her head down and hiding her face. i can't dance to it but i certainly appreciate the sound of it. i would definitely recommend building on this with vocals. of course a bit longer too. maybe radioheadish vocals?

vurt-my man :D holy shit man!!! richard james is gonna cry "mommy!!!".. rubber johnny is gonna morph into a giant squirrel and do the greek dance with the handkerchief. then he's gonna approach me. i'm gonna think he wants me to join him. but he's just gonna bite my head off. i fuckin love this man!!! you're bound to be a classic. i love you man!! this piece just goes to show me how much i need to practice to create my own genre like you. hehe. listened to this like three times in a row already. 2 minutes doesn't cut it.

aieda cin-forrage-excellent mix, great sounds. this needs to be played before things get hot and the club is packed. not quite dance in my opinion. maybe up the bpm a little?

ugo-bonfire-good mix of harsh and soft sounds. definitely danceable. beautiful...

rsmus7-poddies dance-hmmm. not my cup of tea but obviously you're a pro. it's nothing against you, it's just the type of sounds used. i just can't dance to this. but to tell you the truth i would pay you to learn how to produce. :D

j_t-the return of fonk'n'stein-definite funk. bobbing my head. the brass is kind of a turn of but i like the headbutting of the brass and the guitar. the guitar definitely wins. :D yes i will put on my pimp shirt and dance. :P i like the vocal bits a lot; although very short.

beardedone-spinner fall-another twisted mofo in the house. hehe. i like this. holy shit!!! i'm not very technical in terms of music and all but you got me when the brasilian (?) beat came in. i'm seriously considering quitting music even as a hobby. this is very discouraging. :( i wanna be able to do stuff like this. heavy creativity.

jaidy-zisorzat-excellent composition/arrangement. not necessarily my cup of tea but i think i might dance to this. i just have to figure out how to first.

herodotus-frogs don't dance-hey i lived in canada and i saw them dance. :P i like the sounds and the melody a lot. i'm not canadian so i shall dance. yes!! ballet.

ixox-un tout dernier tango-i love this man. what is this sam trumpet and kirk hunter violin. i want those. sounds very realistic. i heard your gypsy competition entry that you composed a while ago. i'm a gypsy freak (being turkish and all) i absolutely love this. maybe you could do a music cafe version of this (longer :D) with accordion and stuff as well. lots of feeling. passion for music screaming through the softness of the tune.

freeztar-so danco samba-i don't see the samba in this except the name and where you actually say samba. but like i said i'm no pro. maybe it is and i don't know. this definitely ain't gonna make me sweat. but i like the song in general.

mchlwlsn-seeker-i feel at home :D .. i love the beats but maybe you could build on the melody a little. it's too much of the same. can i make something better? no... dancing to this depends on my mood.

you™-feedback and oscillate-i feel alive!!! my personality doesn't allow me to dance to this but this is definitely top class. vocals are red hot chili peppers/beck hybrid imo. great stuff but no dance. my wife will like this a lot though. so i'll save this and force it down her ears :D

kovacs-what i want to do-the vocals are too much in front. maybe it's my headphones. maybe lower the vocals and add some effects to it. sounds to dry and it contrasts too much with the tune. i'm no expert in any of this either. just telling what i hear. good tune but minus points for the vocal situation. maybe put it up in music cafe after fixing it. this being your first vocal song i think you were a bit cautious. i think you have great potential but you have to let go and be a little crazy. ;)

andy-summer on the sea-this makes me very happy! a little latin american influence i'm smelling. it's in disquise though. i don't know if i would dance to this but it definitely cheers me right up.

barnadine-a man of honor-one word... beautiful. you totally stabbed me right in the heart with the accordion. hard to describe feeling. you definitely are a man of grace.

mg505-can't listen. no download. :( will try again later.

i'm taking a break. more to come. will also post this to the reviews thread. i'm not sure if people follow it here or there. i'll save wopelka some time. :)

here's some other reviews:

damstraversaz-pepe va au bal-ok... am i doing something wrong here? i can't d/l this...

kaos axiom-dance xt-finally i can listen to this. :D. hmmm. i don't know.. sounds very professional and stuff but not my cup of tea. i just don't like the melody. that's all. i wouldn't dance to this. just personal opinion though. no offense. ;)

mg505-still can't listen. we're running out of time. :(

joenco-go jeanne-not able to listen here. i'll give it another shot later.

nikp2000-the bollywood hillbillies-hehe. i feel at home. with the saz and all. :D very interesting. i'm not so sure about dancing though.

techbot-ballam de nana haydum de-crazy!!! :D. i love this. excellent sounding this. definitely would dance.

mystahr-summer's breeze-hehe. mad dutchman at work. i love the choice of sounds. dance yes. twisted yes. happy yes.

it seems kvr doesn't like me today. having some issues surfing the site and stuff. i'll get back later. :)

Bangin that shit still yo!!!
Last minute be creepin on me!!
Respect fo da peeps at da club!!!

Thomekk - Yo! This be dat shit dat got dat tite flow!! Fo real this be bangin until shit gets to hard!!! Da vox is breaking up da flow (may be my mixing skills at this hour bro). Good stuff for the home, but needs the tweakz fo da club.

Softegg - BommBoom!!! I'm fo real not throwin this vinyl out!!! I love testin da club speakas wit shit like this!!! Firin' up another record and this place be explodin!!!! Smmoooooootttthhhhh shit fo realz yo!!!!

Markleford - HaHaHa!!!! This shit be cheesy gordita cool, but ain't got a booty shakin up in here!!!! I'll be spinnin dis vinyl on one turntable at home all da time, but dare not take this out to da club!!!! I dig it tho bro, props fo realz!!!

Diek - Naw dat be grrrroooooovvvviinnn irie!!! This be dat shit dat be ripe fo da nights of dub conquerers!!! Got me movin yo, so itz on fo da club!!!!

Bastien - Buildup is breakin in good yo!! And then it kicks dat shit in!!!! Smoooooootttthhh yo!! Dis be dat mixin primer fo realz yo!!! Bitches be all up on this shitz!!!!

Bitshift - Nice groovin eighties vibe fo dat 80's night yo!!! I don't spin eighties shit too much, but I'd spin this fo real in da rite atmo!!! Fo real this be tite and it got da whol club explodin wit da dnb I be spittin along!!!!

Choochcat - Diggin on this shit fo realz yo!!!! Great breakaway fo da mix in!!! Sux dat peeps be leavin da club now, just about to blow dere asses up!!!!

Guitarjeff - Nice one bro, fo realz!!!! BeeGees be an underated vinyl these dayz, so da ressurection is ripe yo, fo realz!!!! Let's catch dat buzz yo, gits and all!!!!

The Peu - Wow yo, this be spinnin delite!!! Great atmos and flo, great late night shit fo real!!!

Knoob - This got dat boomboom, but it be hollow these days at da club!!! Well done shit yo, but this iznt dat houz shit fo da clubs I be spinnin!!! Ain't got dat booty movin factor yo, but it could be!!!

Peppy197 - Groove be kikin yo, but it iznt movin!!! Soundz be lethargic on the tables, but no probs wit dat niftay slider!! Now it be kikin but still no boom boom!!!!

Griels - Movin groove dat be...movin yo!!!! Fade out sounds abrupt yo!!! Fo realz it be groovin and all, but no boomboom and no clubsound!!!!

Jens - Yeah man, fo realz!!!! This be dat vinyl whos cover is white on de edges from use yo!!! Spinning it asap at da club, THIS BE BANGIN!!!

{Pheewwww!! Freeztar sighs a relief from slang and arrogant MC's and moves on to the last minute voting warm up...ahhhhhhh}
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

Return to “Music Cafe”