Live performance of "4:33" (John Cage)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tconrardy wrote:On another note :-) I wonder if the purpose of this piece was for the audience to actually listen to each other and the ambient sounds of the room, so the actual recording should be the sound the audience makes and any real world sounds going around at the time( trains and cars going by, police sirens,people caughing, dogs yelping, ect) Just another thought on this piece :-)
Yes. That's the idea, at least according to several *hem hem* "scholarly analyses" I've read. ISTR Cage himself referring to such things too. It's very much his way of listening to the world, one I share.

Oh, and don't forget the sounds of lifting and lowering the keyboard cover on the piano.

tconrardy wrote:On another note :-) I wonder if the purpose of this piece was for the audience to actually listen to each other and the ambient sounds of the room, so the actual recording should be the sound the audience makes and any real world sounds going around at the time( trains and cars going by, police sirens,people caughing, dogs yelping, ect) Just another thought on this piece :-)
I think that this has actually been pretty well acknowledged by Cage himself.

tconrardy wrote:On another note :-) I wonder if the purpose of this piece was for the audience to actually listen to each other and the ambient sounds of the room, so the actual recording should be the sound the audience makes and any real world sounds going around at the time( trains and cars going by, police sirens,people caughing, dogs yelping, ect)
...skunks talking about litigations and mastering...

Ever wonder what radio astronomers hear when they listen to the echoes of the Big Bang?
cptgone wrote:...skunks talking about litigations and mastering...
*nodnod* Yup. [JimmyStewart] It IS a wonderful life! [/JimmyStewart]

funkynuts wrote:I,m sorry to say that this is avery poor cover version.You have completely ruined it by using your cheap modern digital equipment.Its definately lacking in terms of warmth compared to the original which used valve equipment and analogue tape to perfectly capture every nuance of the empty stage
:x
Sorry, I took the liberty of using an imaginary piano on a imaginary stage. I didn't use any digital equipment though, you got that wrong.

Hush now - did you hear that? :shock:

cptgone wrote:I didn't use any digital equipment though, you got that wrong.
Ha, caught ya -- how can you play a piano composition without using your fingers? *smug* Even if you don't actually touch the keys.

Q: Dear etiquette authority, should french fries and ketchup be eaten with the fingers?

A: No. The fingers should be eaten separately.

Meffy wrote:Ha, caught ya -- how can you play a piano composition without using your fingers? *smug* Even if you don't actually touch the keys.
Never said I hadn't. I enjoy fingering you know.

(Note to self: DO NOT ASK who "you know" is!!!)

But your fingers (and toes) are digits. But hey -- at least you didn't say "I played using my nose." :-D

You know, dead Popes smell funny. Dig-it?

What? They can't smell at all.

As funny as it is, this thread would probably get you all sued! :lol:
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

:scared:
The above "words" are the ramblings of a depraved megalomaniac.Any similarity to normal communication is a hallucination on the part of the reader.Replying to this post will result in your family and posessions becoming the property of funkynuts.

My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

That's the article I saw that cued me in to how un-Cage-ian the Cage estate have become.
[...] "the final amount could be tens of thousands of pounds, or more. It turns out it was worth fighting for."
What's "worth fighting for?"

a) artistic freedom?
b) creative expression?
c) the ALMIGHTY DOLLAR (or pound, as the case may be)

If this were an issue of composed music I'd feel a lot different about it. But silence? Oh, really now. Wish I'd had the foresight to copyright the radio hiss heard when no station is tuned in; I'd be a millionaire from suing all broadcasters who don't transmit 24 hours a day!

I wish I had the foresight to copyright a f**king FART noise! Imagine that... I'd be set for life!!

Return to “Music Cafe”