the wretch - new album teaser track part 2

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://northernair.thewretch.com

new microsite for the album, including both preview tracks - the previous "running", as well as a new preview - "lifetime"

and some nifty desktop backgrounds.

watch your speakers :D

At work, so I'll be checking this out later. :party:

I like the wallpaper, I might use one of 'em on my new PC.
"God...He's my favourite fictional character." Homer.

More great work Michael. As always my production skills are humbled at your display of aggressively glitched and heavily atmspheric music.

Aeryk has really added a new dimension to the tracks as well.

Keep it coming!

(and you could always stop by the Auditorium from time to time and say hi)
Last edited by [ xerocreep ] on Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanks guys :D

aeryk is a special boy indeed :nutter: - we determined after several attempts that rhythm guitar is not his forte, so I picked up the axe... he does however have an amazing knack at coaxing the most godawful noise out of any stringed instrument he touches. and he can shred on a melodica ;)

haha. Isn't he playing the riff on "running"?

does that mean its you laying the lead part on this track then?

Jeez, some peoples kids...

He did all the guitars on Running - all the keys are me, and the main bassline is an adaptation of a riff he laid down during tracking, so it's probably our most collaborative track on the album :D

as for the rest of the album - well, there'll be alot to take in ;)

oh, and lifetime is all me.

that's:

a roland SH-09 through the metasonix TM-1 for a good chunk of the leads, the main arpeggio lead is a roland juno-6 through the metasonix Agonizer and TM-1 in series, all drums are carefully processed through the sherman filterbank :hihi:, and all pads and such are from the crumar orchestrator string machine, processed heavily... bassline brought by the yamaha CS-15.

as for the guitar (what you can hear of it) -

that's my les paul through the agonizer, but tuned to DADAD (no high E, it broke) and played with a glass slide :hyper:

Aside from your skill, i also envy your gear, you gear slut. :x

I suppose with my 5 year old daughter wandering around my recording space, owning any metasonix gear is probably not a good idea for me. hahaha.

So then you write out your drum sequences in Logic then buss them out into the filter bank and back in then?

Just out of further curiosity then (since my bosses aren't paying attention to the fact that I'm spending my hole morning on KVR today...)

With so many layers of things and so much gear, what is you rgeneral approach to goign live. Running sequences of the drums via DAT or computer, and playing select synth and guitar parts / singing, etc?

xerocreep wrote:Aside from your skill, i also envy your gear, you gear slut. :x
the term gear whore is much more appropriate - goddamn dayjob :x

I suppose with my 5 year old daughter wandering around my recording space, owning any metasonix gear is probably not a good idea for me. hahaha.
not necessarily! it's yellow, kids like bright colors, right? :D

So then you write out your drum sequences in Logic then buss them out into the filter bank and back in then?
the process for this album has been a bit of that, a bit of direct recording of the machinedrum through the sherman, or through various other boxen, or lately, I've been dumping everything out to tape to further compress buss mixes.... every track so far has had a different approach to this aspect :D

Just out of further curiosity then (since my bosses aren't paying attention to the fact that I'm spending my hole morning on KVR today...)
what's that like :hihi: *looks over shoulder* :scared:

With so many layers of things and so much gear, what is you rgeneral approach to goign live. Running sequences of the drums via DAT or computer, and playing select synth and guitar parts / singing, etc?
Live is two options, depending on the material.

for the current live set, it's either the machinedrum or monomachine (monomachine is acting up at the moment) as master clock, sending transport and clock info to Ableton live. From ableton - that's album sequences/pads and ambience, as well as some more important melodic parts. The live element is in the mixing of the tracks as well as the live keyboard and guitar work from aeryk and I.

aeryk will be on stage with his guitar and a collection of pedals (as of right now I believe its going to be a schumann PLL and an effector 13 Soda Miser fuzz pedal) plus either his roland RS-09 or a Micromoog.

I'll be rockin on the SH-09 with Metasonix TM-1, plus possibly my guitar and god knows what. I want to take the sherman along too, but logistics and set time will dictate that :D

Once we start doing material from the new album, that'll be a different setup.... but not by too much. just a microphone here and there, and some more "static" backing tracks for particular songs.

either way it's going to be loud, aggressive, and full of happy smiling people dancing. :scared:

Thats pretty close to how FSF used to do shows, but after a while we gave up on sequencing stuff out of Live, and just threw all of our backing tracks and click tracks onto an Akai HD recorder since my laptop started bluescreening mid set.

Happy smiling people dancing eh? If only people were nearly that understanding here. We were usually greated by mild apathy (at the best) to the deer in the headlights look (my personal favorite) to unabashed hatred (and thats before the intro to the first track was even done). Did I mention that everyone around here is into Christian HxC and punk? and closer to detroit we are too noisey for the industrial kids and to structured for the harsh noise and free jazz elitists.

How long does it normally take you to get loaded onto the stage?

I figure on getting some blank stares and hopefully some apathy. Collect them all!

live, er, the wretch per se has not performed live yet. Ithaca will be the first officially billed set.

The live set I do under the moniker endmusik is somewhat similar and much leaner - just me, a laptop, the monomachine (when it's working :x ) and a bunch of effects pedals and a mixer. pretty basic :D The wretch live set will be basically that, plus mangling tools and live boards. It'll be a bit more out of control.

also - I'd imagine a setup time of 5-10 minutes once I get a case I have on order :D - it'll be the mixer/monomachine and machinedrum wired and set up, just connect the lappy and the keys to the mixer and oila! setup is done!

In theory my entire setup is a one handcart trip :D

as for aeryk - he's gonna be running an amp, and his micromoog is a bit heavier than either of my boards... so he'll have a hunchback in no time :hihi:

Wow, that's pretty sweet!

I am sorry that I hijacked your thread here. We should continue this conversation though. May I email you sometime about some of this stuff?

xerocreep wrote:Wow, that's pretty sweet!

I am sorry that I hijacked your thread here. We should continue this conversation though. May I email you sometime about some of this stuff?
no :x

:hihi:

of course dude - anytime :D

and I don't think this is hijacking, it's all about the project so it's all good :D

I have now played lifetime twice while inbetween putting running back on again. For some reason I feel the latest to not even come near the power running has. The metasonical feel I think needs to find a better spot especially in that ending part where the noise sorta suddenly ends (although the sounds that are there after that are amazing). And truthfully I feel the guitar to sound a tad too quantised (?) and unlively.

Still taken all this; the tracks are goooooooooooooooooooood.

And yeah; stop posting about your gear ffs :x
Everytime I think about that I start drooling and almost drown in heavy yearnings.

Return to “Music Cafe”