Untitled remix for Hastur [psychedelic trance metal]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://kim.apinavuori.net/avp/gootti2.ogg

Ok, comments? Should I put in more silly parts, this is awfully serious IMHO :/ I love the ending... The pitched toasting is there really just to have some vocals there, I think I'll replce them with some cut-up electro shiit. hmm they do sound great through the vocoder...

guitars by a friend of mine, the rest is samples & synths. (Hastur is the name of their band...Can't remember the name of this track, it's just that they recorded on my comp and the riffs were laying around<g>)

Good mix. Could imagine that as a secret hit for late night hours in some obscure club somewhere.

Sounds good on my speakers. I'm not sure I really get the transition around 0:33, but that might be just me :wink:

What do you mean eith "silly parts"? To me it sounds neither silly nor serious. It just sounds danceable :)

Regards,

Tommy
Some music here

Mm yes the transition is a bit awkward, it's supposed to be surprising, but now the 1 beat guitar part before the tune kicks of is a bit off :/

Mm I mean like the weird calypso-reggae-breaks-whatever trickery at around 3-4min or so. And all kinds of mindtwist tweaks and twiggles...

Does the bass kick? I don't have a proper sub or even monitors at home, and my room acoustics are really bad. I think the kick sounds a bit weak, but often I've found that when I make them loud enough at home, they tend to be TOO bass heavy on a big PA in a party...

Oh btw I just listened to robotic2.mp3 on your site, great! Is there a full-length version somewhere?
The melodies were just wonderful... The percussions could be a bit different, now they just sounded like some drum machine's preset kit played dry instead of sounds you specificially selected for this tune, if you get what I'm trying to express... Anyway, reminded me both of Jarre and old SID music, which must be a good thing :)

guitar is a bit too straight imo. Acid lines kicks arse as usual. Would like a harder snare. Kick could be a bit harder. The ragga style mc'ing is a nice touch. I'm not too keen on the trickery stuff but that's just me. The violin is also a great addition.
Nice tune.

I burned it on CD and had a listen on my stereo. Mix seems ok, a bit low level, though. As I had the WAV I applied a bit of multiband compressing which definitely made a difference. But after all, it depends a lot on taste. :) A bit of Spectralive took it further, might be slightly ovedone, though :hihi: It's really a matter af taste ...
Taika-Kim wrote:Oh btw I just listened to robotic2.mp3 on your site, great! Is there a full-length version somewhere?
The melodies were just wonderful... The percussions could be a bit different, now they just sounded like some drum machine's preset kit played dry instead of sounds you specificially selected for this tune, if you get what I'm trying to express... Anyway, reminded me both of Jarre and old SID music, which must be a good thing :)
Glad you liked it. But no, it was done for a KVR contest (May) and there is only the two minute version :)

The percussion is Drumatic and for a tune called "Robotic" I deliberately chose those machine sounds and beats. Maybe some day I'll get back to it, though I tend to be bored by my tunes and forget about them once they are done :wink:

Regards,

Tommy
Some music here

I deliberately didn't compress the sound very much.

That's what the volume knob on your amp is for.

I don't praticularily like the way music is (de!)produced these days... Kiling dynamins doesn't really serve any other purpose than poor audio systems and instant appeal to amateurs.

Not that I'm a pro, and I have overcompressed my music to death in the past, but lately I've started to grow increasingly tired of the way new psychedelic trance mostly sounds like, for example. And I won't even go to the topic of chart hits that are so roughly limited that actually there is serious distortion in the music.... Just take a look at the waveforms of some recent electronic music pieces and before long you'll start to see some really ugly passages...

Can't argue with that :wink:

Regards,

Tommy
Some music here

But the problem is that when people listen to music on their system, the tracks which are more silent tend to sound "badly produced" to many. You wouldn't believe how easily people have given me "wow that's a really pro sound" when actually the tune has been squashed to death. Well not here, but on some other forums...

AND there's the matter of incompetent people setting up soundsystems in small parties. It's always possible that the compressor in the PA is set to all hell, so it's better to have some space to play with rather than send a very closely limited track AGAIN through some bad ass compression.

I have sometimes noticed how my very old tracks that tend to PEAK at around -3db sound better than the new ones in some situations and spaces :/

Well, usually I try to find a compromise. Increasing loudness without squashing the sound. As you say, if it's too quiet it's perceived as unprofessional. Not, that my mixes sound professional when they are louder :? Oh well, modern times ... :wink:

Regards,

Tommy
Some music here

Return to “Music Cafe”