Will you listen to my Debuet song?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rockstar_not wrote:
Galleoneer wrote:
This could be nice, because I had some trouble finding a adequate melody. The cordal structure of the song is quiete simple: three cord in a row
G-C-E
G-B-D
F-A-C
Are you sure about these chords? It sure seems like something else to me.

For example, what notes are making up the G chord? I think you might be using a synth that has a 5th enabled on one of the voices. One of the chords matches up with a Bflat major chord. Midi file would be nice.

-Scott
Ok, no problem. I`ll send them when I am home again. BTW, believe me these are the chords and there were no 5ths and 7ths enabled (AFAIK). I really guess its the heavy modulation, gating, filtering stuff that does this. Because there are many stages where the signal and the processed one are mixed together and the reprocessed etc. That could add other notes to the original. :wink:

HeatWAVS wrote:I love the synth and pad work I just wish the drum samples were better
Yes, the rythm critics came very often. So its obviously true that I messed up the rytm part. BTW, thanks for loving it :)

Here we go:

MIDI file:
http://www.galleoneer.com/files/riff.mid

unprocessed sample playing this midi file:
http://www.galleoneer.com/files/riff.mp3

the file above after colliding with my effects:
http://www.galleoneer.com/files/riffprocessed.mp3

Galleoneer wrote:
rockstar_not wrote:
Galleoneer wrote:
This could be nice, because I had some trouble finding a adequate melody. The cordal structure of the song is quiete simple: three cord in a row
G-C-E
G-B-D
F-A-C
Are you sure about these chords? It sure seems like something else to me.

For example, what notes are making up the G chord? I think you might be using a synth that has a 5th enabled on one of the voices. One of the chords matches up with a Bflat major chord. Midi file would be nice.

-Scott
Ok, no problem. I`ll send them when I am home again. BTW, believe me these are the chords and there were no 5ths and 7ths enabled (AFAIK). I really guess its the heavy modulation, gating, filtering stuff that does this. Because there are many stages where the signal and the processed one are mixed together and the reprocessed etc. That could add other notes to the original. :wink:
Galleoneer - I have imported your MIDI file and the chords are indeed different than the notes you typed in your e-mail. I will PM you with a screenshot of the chords displayed in Tracktion.

The first chord, you got right, includes G-C-E, and this would be a C major chord, inverted from the typical C-E-G first position.

The second chord includes the following notes:
G - Bflat (or A sharp) - D. This is a G minor chord in the first position.

The last chord includes the following notes:
F - Bflat (or A sharp) - D. This is a Bflat chord, inverted from the typical Bflat-D-F first position.

There are other chords that will fit with these notes, but now knowing truly what notes are present (you missed identifying what are called the 'accidentals'; the sharps/flats) some melodies may be added with ease.

You have some nice production talent, and a good ear for arranging; at least based upon what I hear in this first track. I would strongly suggest finding a piano teacher in your area that will take the time to listen to your production skills like in this song. Ask them to teach you music theory along side the keyboard lessons. You will go far entertaining yourself and others with your music.

If you cannot find a teacher, then I highly recommend the videos by a guy named Scott Houston. You can find his materials at: www.scottthepianoguy.com

He does not teach in the classical sense, but teaches people that want to sit down and enjoy playing their favorite songs, improvising over chords, etc. I think this fits your style better than learning how to play 'Für Elise' by Beethoven; although there is a certain definite pleasure associated with that as well.

I'll try to get you a melody cranked out on your song soon.

-Scott

rockstar_not wrote: Galleoneer - I have imported your MIDI file and the chords are indeed different than the notes you typed in your e-mail. I will PM you with a screenshot of the chords displayed in Tracktion.
You are right of course. It was stupid insisting on these chords without looking into the midi score :oops: As it was my intention to make the chords like I previously posted it must be a editing error. But this gives me a fatal error quota of doing 4 mistake on 9 notes. :oops: :oops: :cry:

I beg your pardon
rockstar_not wrote:You have some nice production talent, and a good ear for arranging; at least based upon what I hear in this first track. I would strongly suggest finding a piano teacher in your area that will take the time to listen to your production skills like in this song. Ask them to teach you music theory along side the keyboard lessons. You will go far entertaining yourself and others with your music.
thanks for the flowers :love:
rockstar_not wrote:If you cannot find a teacher, then I highly recommend the videos by a guy named Scott Houston. You can find his materials at: www.scottthepianoguy.com
I am some kind of autoditact. I should first try the videos. thnx
rockstar_not wrote: I'll try to get you a melody cranked out on your song soon.
-Scott
You must have a brilliant ear. I could never hear out the notes and chords in the songs. But you can also do it in a very complex soundscape. Respect 8)

I cant wait foir the melody :)

Galleoneer,

I've tried, but the melody I've come up with only works on the first 2 instances of the chord progression. I don't know what happens after that, but the melody doesn't fit with the chords. If you swear that the notes are the same in your pad sound all through the song, then it must be the processing hanging on to notes from the previous chords. I'm just not getting it.

-Scott

rockstar_not wrote:Galleoneer,

I've tried, but the melody I've come up with only works on the first 2 instances of the chord progression. I don't know what happens after that, but the melody doesn't fit with the chords. If you swear that the notes are the same in your pad sound all through the song, then it must be the processing hanging on to notes from the previous chords. I'm just not getting it.

-Scott
No problem rockstar_not. As I mentioned before there is lot of spectral modulation on the raw samples. I guess that this results in some pitch-changes that will result in other notes.

I am very thankfull that you pointed me into the right direction and also for your helpfull tips aswell. I guess there is a deterministic way to write a melody from some chord progressions. And I try to unveil the mistery by reading some music theory.

What really impressed me (shocked aswell) is that you are able to recognize chords in an complex sound enviroment. That only shows me that I got to train my ears.

peace

:)

>>What really impressed me (shocked aswell) is that you are able to recognize chords in an complex sound enviroment. That only shows me that I got to train my ears. <<

I attribute this to my piano teacher when I was in 9th/10th grades. She turned me on to music theory and quizzed us to identify chords that she would play on the piano - not the notes, but the type of chord played. I used to be much better at it, but it's still fairly easy to pick out major, minor, major 7th, dominant 7th, minor 7th, augmented and diminished chords for me if there is simple instrumentation. It all starts from listening for 'happy' sounds with major chords, and more melancholy sounds with minor chords. At least that's what works for me.

Look up some ear training sites on the net. They can help.

-Scott

I finally found a very good site about music theory.
There are lessons and interactive tutorials and trivias.
You can use it online or download the offline version.

Very good stuff, check it out!

http://www.musictheory.net/

Return to “Music Cafe”