Will you listen to my Debuet song?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there,

You probably know me from my plugins but (suprise) I sometimes also make music.

Until now I never felt the urge to make it public. Now I try my luck and you can tell me if its worth the download.

Here is the song. Its could be a film score but its also downtempo lounge music, I guess. So its quiet relaxed (to me).

Serve Chilled

enjoy

BTW, I am interested in reviews in all aspects (song itself, mastering etc.)

Gear Info:
I used only some synth1 the rest are samples of classic electromechanical and acoustic instruments (Rhodes, Hammond, Strings, etc. ) and also some drum samples. I used Phrasemaster for arranging the parts (besides drums) and some combination of gating and filtering effects (indigo gater and my filters)
Host is a FLStudio which came with my Soundcard.
FlStudio and FL Effects also were used for the mastering.

So its a allmost cost free production.

Yes maybe I could put this into the monthly contest, but I think I have no chance agains the heavy competition.

//edit: spelling

Hi Galleoneer.

Smooth stuff. Very pleasant mix with a good pulse. I think the only thing really missing is a strong melody or lead line. It's a very pleasant backing, it just needs something in the foreground to give it a more complete feel, in my opinion. Do you sing?

And don't be put off entering the contests. Even if a tune doesn't click with the voters, you tend to get a lot of useful feedback anyway.

Thanks for sharing the tune. :)

Barnadine wrote:Hi Galleoneer.

Smooth stuff. Very pleasant mix with a good pulse. I think the only thing really missing is a strong melody or lead line. It's a very pleasant backing, it just needs something in the foreground to give it a more complete feel, in my opinion. Do you sing?

And don't be put off entering the contests. Even if a tune doesn't click with the voters, you tend to get a lot of useful feedback anyway.

Thanks for sharing the tune. :)
I'm with Barnadine's entire post - I enter the comps to get at least 50 or so sets of ears on it. Usually in the comps I'm trying something I haven't done before, to see if I've nailed what it is I'm trying to do.

-Scott

Barnadine wrote:....
Thnx Barnadine & rockstar_not your positive feedback made me feel better. Because you guys are really talented.

One question about entering the competition:

Can it still be done? I mean, now thet the song is somehoe public.

BTW, this was the first time where the forum ate my posts. I just posted this one twice. The first one is lost
Last edited by Galleoneer on Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galleoneer wrote:
Barnadine wrote:....

One question about entering the competition:

Can it still be done? I mean, now thet the song is somehoe public.
The July contest is over. The rules state that your tracks SHOULD be made for the contests, but that spirit has been violated each and every month that I've entered by other participants. There really is no way to police this so I just voice my opinion by not voting for people that have entered faded in/out tracks that obviously were done for something else.

I did notice that your track was 2:00 exactly, so it seems that you did have the contest in mind. Save the track, add in a melody of some kind (or send me some chord charts and I can try to add one for you - I started to do this last night but it got too late and I could only figure out a couple of the chords), and enter it into a contest later when it seems to line up with the theme. If you send me the chords for the song, I can knock out a skeleton midi track that I can slow down and add a lead to if you like, or if you have the chords for the backing pad in MIDI form, I can try importing it into Tracktion and going from there.

-Scott

Cool relaxing track.
I would lower the kick drum`s volume and/or maybe have a softer sounding kick to add to the general ethereal feeling.
Add a soft lead type instrument playing a melody and you`ll have a more melodic ditty in your hands.
Cool ideas and quite decent mix :wink:

rockstar_not wrote:Save the track, add in a melody of some kind (or send me some chord charts and I can try to add one for you - I started to do this last night but it got too late and I could only figure out a couple of the chords), and enter it into a contest later when it seems to line up with the theme. If you send me the chords for the song, I can knock out a skeleton midi track that I can slow down and add a lead to if you like, or if you have the chords for the backing pad in MIDI form, I can try importing it into Tracktion and going from there.
-Scott
This could be nice, because I had some trouble finding a adequate melody. The cordal structure of the song is quiete simple: three cord in a row
G-C-E
G-B-D
F-A-C
This is because I am very new to music theory.

If its looks like more it is caused by gating->filtering and remixing with the dry technique.

I could indeed send you the midi scores. anyway there are always these 3 chords. :)

Kaos Axiom wrote:Cool relaxing track.
I would lower the kick drum`s volume and/or maybe have a softer sounding kick to add to the general ethereal feeling.
Add a soft lead type instrument playing a melody and you`ll have a more melodic ditty in your hands.
Cool ideas and quite decent mix :wink:
thank you, your so kind :)

As i tried to explain rockstar I had some problems to fit in a melody. Because I am a coplete zero when it comes to music theory.

And I also feared that driving back the puch of the kicks witout adding a melody would make it boring.

:)

BTW, everyone is free to remix or rework it.

Indeed, this piece lacks a strong melody, a lead. And in my opinion, the bass drum and the hihats stand out a little too much. Try lowering the high freqs a little and adding a reverb, because they dont fit as much into the airy mood you've created with strings and synths.

AC1Dman wrote:Indeed, this piece lacks a strong melody, a lead. And in my opinion, the bass drum and the hihats stand out a little too much. Try lowering the high freqs a little and adding a reverb, because they dont fit as much into the airy mood you've created with strings and synths.
Yo thanks for the tips AC1Dman I`ll keep them in mind.

BTW, does anybody know good documentation on music theory.

Fields of interest:

1.How to write chord progressions
2.How to make melody lines of the chord progressions
3.How to do bass lines

As I am a strickt computer musician I prefer the ones without scores. But if not the ones with classical scores will do either. :)

you could have a look at the ravenspiral guide to music. http://www.kwookyworld.com/

another good one is the practical guide to musical composition, but the webpage is currently unavailable.

vam

Galleoneer wrote:
This could be nice, because I had some trouble finding a adequate melody. The cordal structure of the song is quiete simple: three cord in a row
G-C-E
G-B-D
F-A-C
Are you sure about these chords? It sure seems like something else to me.

For example, what notes are making up the G chord? I think you might be using a synth that has a 5th enabled on one of the voices. One of the chords matches up with a Bflat major chord. Midi file would be nice.

-Scott

I love the synth and pad work I just wish the drum samples were better

Return to “Music Cafe”