A score for modern dance w/ Anne Sexton. feat. xoxos Pling!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

this is a poem set to music for the dance troupe i work with. the poem is Anne Sexton's disturbing take on the Rapunzel fairy-tale. In her version, rapunel's old aunt put her in the tower to keep her from men... and to continue their incestuous lesbian affair.

[edited- googlebots...]
thought i'd post a few songs to get some input. positive, constructive, snarky, i'm game for it all. i had some crying badgers and some other small mammal that sounded like a baby being beaten, but it was a little too much. heheh.
how's it sounding?

http://www.freneticore.com/NEW%20KARPLUS%2030.mp3

gpo
atmosphere
battery 2
absynth 3
invader
xoxos Pling! - second to last version. [i didn't like the distortion mod on the recent version]
Last edited by bobbyblank on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

errm.
:)

here's the frog prince fable. some PMI harpsichord and the Rain Piano. Some Spirit Canyon convo, too. [edit]- crazy DMIflute solo, too.
any suggestions?

http://www.freneticore.com/frog%20prince%20FULL%203.mp3
Last edited by bobbyblank on Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Quite like the Rapunzel track. Love the warped sound in background once the vox kicks in. Feels like Philip Glass does the Princess Bride.

thanks for listening, shamann. pretty much ripped Glass's patented chord progressions verbatim, but it felt good.
I pulled card #2 out of the Oblique Strategies deck: 'Don't be frightened of cliches' :lol:

try it. i like it.
http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/bria ... lique.html

love the music box sound

nice modulated detuned pad as well.

cool beats and sounds.

i could personally do without the fairytale

:hihi:

great tunes though, clean and clear and lovely melodies and chord progressions, a lot like mum (who i love)

top quality,

steve.

ps. can i have a copy without the story ?

I love the Oblique Strategies cards. i have a set (downloaded the list and printed my own back in the day)

They really help me when I am stuck trying to figure out an approach.

I'm d/l ing your tracks now and will give them a listen :)

glad you liked it, blaster. I love mum, too.
I'll keep posting them on this thread. (not sure how to change the thread name, though.)
the music box sound is Pling!, the only velocity sensitive string model I've found. it's the best.
I'll PM you with links to the instrumental mixes if you like Blaster. that is, as soon as I'm finished with mixing, and the video projections for the show.

one last bump before I shoot this thread in the face. I've never posted music on forum,
and wanted some criticism. if you're feeling up for it, check out both tracks.
It'd make my day.

there's also kid icarus->
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

I love these tracks. Good. I got a bit busy and wasn downloading them earlier but didn't listen till now.

thanks for the kind words, brad.

another cool one. I listened to the first song posted. Really nice sounds and theme melody. I'd still like it if you didn't build on it more.

What's this non-profit organi you're involved with?

These are very interesting - I like the chord progressions too and this must be rewarding to dance to. I work quite a lot with dance and music (in my capacity as a therapist) and have recently been approached by a choreographer to collaborate on a dance project myself so this is an interesting area for me.

Charming stuff, bobby.

I'm a sucker for this kind of glitchy warmth. Creepy and cosy. mum popped into my head too. (Also the soundtrack to an old 1980s BBC documentary I once saw on the Celts - probably not as cool a reference point.)

Is that detuned PM-ish harp entering at 4:24 the Pling? Nice. Will have to investigate.

Only thing I can muster any vague criticism for is the brass at 3:20. A little bit mushy with reverb - my ears seem to want it to be rawer and sharper, or else pushed out into the unreal via digital muckery.

If you're looking to creep up the ending a little, you already have some excellent and ominous background sounds that could be coaxed gradually out into the foreground. (Though I'm kind of keen to hear the baby-beating badgers, now that you mention them. :))

Best of luck with this.

(My modem is now wheezing its way through the Frog Prince. Will drop back in once I've had a listen.)

Frog prince also cool. Perhaps not as compelling as Rapunzel, but I think that might be a result of the arch, theatrical tone adopted by the narrator here. Prefer the more casual, less affected vocal approach of the first piece, which doesn't force a particular reading on you, leaves the poem some ambiguity. Interesting minimalist backing though. Since I've already slipped into the useless comparisons: Boards of Canada came to mind this time. Searching for cons: the cheerful eighth-stabbing synth maybe goes on a bit too long without variation, I started imagining sleighbells. But excellent sounds here. Nice woozy detuning to the lead, and once again, cool glitch percussion.

Let us know how the dance goes. 8)

Return to “Music Cafe”