it's like taking lessons...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last week I've started a new project with a friend of mine who is a DJ - he merely sits beside me and comments what I'm doing. Sometimes he makes suggestions what to add but most of the time what to remove... :hihi:

During the three or four sessions we've had so far I've learnt so much about producing modern electronic music it's incredible... :shock: :-D

We worked on two tracks so far (started from scratch) and while both aren't finished yet I am more than satisfied with the result. :party:

You can listen to the second track we did here

:-D 8)

What do you think?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

There are good sounds, but there are too much sonic "holes". I mean that the instruments playing in a given moment feel alone in the back. You can check for combinations of the sounds you've got but playing at once or shorten the measures of every stage. Anyway I think there are good ideas and well pointed. Anyway also I'm nobody to say anybody what have to do. Just trying to help :wink:

I can see where a DJ might want a track like this because it leaves a lot of room open for them to add other stuff and muck around . . . but I don't think it's particularly a satisfying piece on its own. It's not bad but there seems to be very little meat to it, mainly just a sparsely varying rhythm track. It's pleasant but not overly compelling.

It reminds me of something I was thinking about doing back in the early 90's: putting out vinyl recordings for DJs only where each side of the disc would have different sparsely rhythmic tracks derived from one completed mix. Include the full blown mix as well. Basically one song per side with full mix and variations of sparser tracks coming from the full mix. That way DJ's would have a kind of tool kit to do whatever they liked with the overall track.

What I hear here is one of those sparser tracks. Now give us the full mix! :D
Last edited by emdot_ambient on Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

this reminds me of a TV show soundtrack. I could see it in a cop dramedy

thanks for the feedback! 8)

Please let me once agin state that it ain't finished yet! ;-)

Yes, his idea is that it should be a clubtrack which can be easily mixed...

but I indeed also want to make a shorter 'pop'-version of it...

I think musically there is a lot going on for a clubtrack though - there's the guitar, there's the synth melody and there's the piano (two variations) with an added solo in the end...

also there are two completely different basslines and the rythm has got several variations... ´

but still we need to add some stuff and need to change something here and there for not making it too boring... :-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Music Cafe”