[mully vox done?] Let it happen

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry Mully, I didn't mean to sound offensive. The first thing that hit me when I listened, was your breathing. A crescendo is where a note starts quiet and gets louder. As you profess to be self-taught, I'd say you're doing very well. Keep at it. :)

no it didn't sound offensive at all.... I just liked to know.... cuz I honestly rather keep learning than having to use Melodyne.. ;) though it's a fun tool... but I'd rather have it as a fun tool instead of a nescessity

and :oops: thanks

The bad news first... I prefer the 3-4 year old vocals..

The good news... I think it's just down to your breathing.. You're taking big gulps of air inbetween phrases which means you can deliver the phrases with maximum intensity.

But then, I'm no voice coach.. Hell, I can't sing for toffee. You clearly are a fine singer and songwriter :)
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

KvR server problems again?
Struggling to refresh one page here.......

i'm dl the old one...
for what i've listened so far, it's even better
i can clearly understand the lyrics in this one, compared the one u recorded today.......
The "S" are just a bit too sssibilant...some de-essing will sort that out

Cheers
Madness wrote:Quit stuffing around posting dumb questions ..... and get on with making music.

griels wrote:The bad news first... I prefer the 3-4 year old vocals..

The good news... I think it's just down to your breathing.. You're taking big gulps of air inbetween phrases which means you can deliver the phrases with maximum intensity.

But then, I'm no voice coach.. Hell, I can't sing for toffee. You clearly are a fine singer and songwriter :)
see I've gotten worse :cry:

now where can I learn how to breathe correctly... and no I don't have the money for a real vocal coach nor the social skills to go to a choir

multree wrote: see I've gotten worse :cry:
Well, not worse per se, you've learnt lots of production skills and mixwise the latest version sounds great.. And the vocals themselves are still a pleasure to listen to.
multree wrote: now where can I learn how to breathe correctly... and no I don't have the money for a real vocal coach nor the social skills to go to a choir
Social skills? You seemed plenty sociable at Micks ;)

Anyway, there must be books on vocal techniques around I guess? And Internet resources?

P.S. When you find some good ones, let me know about them :lol: I'd love to sing one tenth as well :)
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

tommo wrote:KvR server problems again?
Struggling to refresh one page here.......

i'm dl the old one...
for what i've listened so far, it's even better
i can clearly understand the lyrics in this one, compared the one u recorded today.......
The "S" are just a bit too sssibilant...some de-essing will sort that out

Cheers
well... I just found out why.... the old version was already compressed and rendered and I lost the original file back then....

and now took the same compressor setting as for the new one... so it's compressed twice... :shock: :oops:

griels wrote:Social skills? You seemed plenty sociable at Micks ;)
;) well... yeah... that was different... I'm pretty skilled when I feel secure... although I tend to talk too much when feeling this way

oh and the recording was from 3 or 4 years back, too... only the mix is new.....

Great little song, Mully. I picked the middle version at random, and apart from the left-panning on the vocals, a great arrangement. :)

multree wrote:
well... I just found out why.... the old version was already compressed and rendered and I lost the original file back then....

and now took the same compressor setting as for the new one... so it's compressed twice... :shock: :oops:
Ahhh...that's it.... ;)
Anyway....see if these are helpfull (cheap books)

http://www.spartiti.biz/Metodi/descri_met.asp?Ref=83805

http://musicbooksplus.com/bvocal-techni ... -5242.html

http://www.classical.net/music/books/vocal.html

http://musicbooksplus.com/basic-vocal-t ... p-628.html

:)

And not...you're not gettin' worst at singin' Alex :D
Madness wrote:Quit stuffing around posting dumb questions ..... and get on with making music.

cool... I just ordered a book at amazon... let's see if it helps ;)

Barnadine wrote:Great little song, Mully. I picked the middle version at random, and apart from the left-panning on the vocals, a great arrangement. :)
thanks ;)

Ok, obviously there ain't much coaching that can be done via a forum but the key elements are:

Think of how you're going to sing the line and inhale enough to cover the length of the line and to obtain the sound you want. Eventually, you can do this throughout the whole song with practice but to start with, try individual lines.

Secondly, relax your throat! Don't tense up, worrying about whether you'll be in tune or not, or having enough breath to deliver the line. You're a musician aren't you? The tuning will be much more accurate when you've accomplished the above.

Btw...which instruments are you playing or is it all of them?

Thirdly, don't worry about how long or how many attempts it takes to get the line/phrase right. Your talent hasn't got a time limit so just relax and enjoy it.

Sounds to me like you're already heading in the right direction. The rest will come naturally.

thanks.... well I play the guitars and the two basslines on this track... the drums were played by my former drummer...

yeah well ...it could be due to the fact that I'm singing this stuff sitting on my bed.... maybe I should change the position to be able to breathe better...

well will try that

and throat relaxing seems to be the most important part.... I know I can do it better - same with guitar playing.... the best takes never get recorded ;)

that's my best excuse so far

Hi Mully

The one with the Melodyne sounds fine.
Next time don't tell us, just say take A and take B.
I think you will get a less hostile reaction.

As far as the breathing (and I am no singer or have any knowledge in this) it seems that you take a very short, fast and deep breath right at the last split second before starting the new phrase.
This creates an unusual loud breath noise at the beginning of each phrase.
I think if you just let yourself a slightly larger "window" in between phrases it will sound much better.
You just need to finish the last phrase a little earlier.
It's hard to kick these habits, I do something similar when playing solo guitar, but try it and record it, you will like the difference.

Good music as always.
:love:

Return to “Music Cafe”