Dark Hip Hop (featuring Black Thought)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a dark hip hop tune. Odly enough I was watching colors the movie and sampled the hell outta it...as I started to apply the parts to a tune that I made previously...then I heard "Black Thought" (the poet on HBO) and it fit in mix like magic! :-o

So now we have the brutally real tune Black Thought

I'd love to work with this guy in the future!!! :hail:
Last edited by mr.me on Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hi mr.me.
Hip hop...I just can`t relate to it personally...living in northeast philly the scene is maybe too close to home.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Pretty crazy shit tho' isn't it?

When you say too close to home...I've lived crazy shit like that, but I've also come a long ways since then. But I never forget what it was like.

Hell, I even sold drugs and was homeless for a period of time....I'm a way different man now. Crazy the way things can change.

So what about the mixing and mastering then?

...and thanks for the reply.:D

cool track mate. The beats feel a little clean for the style (if that makes any sense) but a really cool atmosphere you have built here sir. Really enjoyed listening :)

CypherOne wrote:cool track mate. The beats feel a little clean for the style (if that makes any sense) but a really cool atmosphere you have built here sir. Really enjoyed listening :)
So you mean fuzz beat up a bit? Maybe a bit of baxpander on it?

Lets get this puppy ace!!!! :hihi:

One of my friends was homeless for a few yrs.This was well before we each met.
I can`t even imagine being in such a situation.
For certain reasons,my future is uncertain to a degree,and the thoughts of homelessness is a pervasive worry of mine.

As for the mix and so forth...it sounds fine to me here ...but i`ve only listened so far on phones.
One thing I do know about hip hop sound is that it`s extremely high quality mastering!
Don`t have a clue how that`s all done...but i`d guess it has much to do with high quality hardware processing...unless high "Q" samples are used...i`d be supprized to hear anything approach that quality with our home systems.

"Too close to home" for me means not only that i`m in philly,and that all the trance clubs I used to go to and love,are now hip hop clubs,and some have been closed by the city for gang violence and shootings,but also what I see in the depth of such thinking.
I have much background in the psychology of mind and sociology....so hearing what i hear in the lyrics about the mindsets of that genre is very disturbing to me.
To go into more detail about it would be lengthy and way to boring to discuss here.

Hah,country and hip hop are two styles of music i`ll never warm up to.

Later mr.me
Barry.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Fair enough.:wink:

Intro sounds wicked. nice pad. Good FX. Beats sound quite "rocky". Nice hi hat pattern though interesting bass sound. really nice FX builds a good atmosphere. Intro goes on too long for me... Black thought is out of time with your track.

Good track onverall but the vocal don't sit.
"Don't fear your mistakes, there are none" - Miles Davis

http://www.thehungersite.com/

Bout most mastering, you'll find Waves tools in alot of pro gear lists. :hihi:

Equilibrium wrote:Intro sounds wicked. nice pad. Good FX. Beats sound quite "rocky". Nice hi hat pattern though interesting bass sound. really nice FX builds a good atmosphere. Intro goes on too long for me... Black thought is out of time with your track.

Good track onverall but the vocal don't sit.
The main vocals I recorded from HBO's Russell Simmons def Poetry...and I think it sits loosely, but in a fab way! :hihi:

As said in the other thread, the vox are cool. As for the rest of the track, I'd clean it up a bit. I'd like to hear sections with less of that stringpad going on, probably using another (sparse) chord instrument.
The beat could probably vary a bit as well (I don't really like the snare too).
But the main thing for me would be to have things a bit more clear, that'd make the (great) vox stand out better.
Also, I think you overcompressed the master a bit, but I'm far from being an expert regarding that.

Of course, all that might only be my personal taste.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

I think the vocals sit perfectly. Yes, they're kinda loose and partially laid back, but that's just what I like about it.

Sascha Franck wrote:I think the vocals sit perfectly. Yes, they're kinda loose and partially laid back, but that's just what I like about it.
I'm glad you like it. :D

...and also I hope you don't think I'm trying to bark up your tree. The way I see it is we're both teachers...and students. :hug:

We're here to learn. :)

Sascha Franck wrote:As said in the other thread, the vox are cool. As for the rest of the track, I'd clean it up a bit. I'd like to hear sections with less of that stringpad going on, probably using another (sparse) chord instrument.
The beat could probably vary a bit as well (I don't really like the snare too).
But the main thing for me would be to have things a bit more clear, that'd make the (great) vox stand out better.
Also, I think you overcompressed the master a bit, but I'm far from being an expert regarding that.

Of course, all that might only be my personal taste.
Ok, the way I'd go about trying to do this would be to start lightly compressing the things that aren't compressed...strings, police clips n FX...maybe the pad. What about the bass tho'?

If I slapped the right light compressions on that it'd clear it up...if done right, that can be dangerous biz. :hihi:

mr.me wrote: What about the bass tho'?
No idea - for my taste it could be deeper, but I'm not sure as my Tannoys aren't all that great in the bass department (actually, they're not that great in any department).

Return to “Music Cafe”