Ambient long play project

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For those of you in the Organbient Radio chat room last night this is my follow up post regarding the long play ambient compilation project. To those who were not present this should explain it all.

Release details to follow, but the preliminary info is that there will be a limited MP3 CDr release and there will be download options as well.

Depending on how many people get involved and the length of the tracks submitted the release could be anywhere from four to 12 hours in length. I have not though a whole lot about the price or promotional aspects of the release but my initial thoughts are that it be affordable while still covering costs. I think that word of mouth promotion and our collective ‘normal’ channels would be effective for a small-scale limited release.

For artwork, I would like to have anyone submit art for covers who wants to and then to have all of the people submitting tracks vote on the final selection(s) to be used.

My intent is to promote creativity rather than stunt it, so the ‘guidelines’ are few.

- Tracks ideally should be new works for this project
- Tracks must be ambient
- Tracks should be in excess of 30 minutes in length but not more than 120 minutes
- Tracks should be exclusive to this release (at least initially)

If you would like to be involved or want more info let me know here and I will try to address any concerns ASAP.

I am posting about this on kvraudio.com, ambientcollective.com, and ambientlive.com

If you know of anyone that might be interested please point them here of have them contact me at scott at stillstream dot com.

hmmmmm...

vurt wrote:hmmmmm...
going to need at least 3 CDs for the muppet ...

n.y.a.h. wrote: Tracks should be in excess of 30 minutes in length but not more than 120 minutes
dunno if i can cut mine down that much :hihi:

30 mins minimum :-o

so it basically a cd of train wrecks :hyper:

incidentally...

http://www.vurt.audioshot.net/myweb10/m ... hestra.mp3
this happened :o

not long enough but you guys may appreciate it :)

it should be fun. i don't know of any long form compilations... so we'll see.

i personally would love to have an mp3 CD of nothing but long form ambient.

if we get 11-12 people submitting songs then we are looking at getting a pretty long fricken release out the door.

nothing would thrill me more than a two disc 16 hour compilation.... except a 3 disc 24 hour compilation.

what about 4 disc 32 hour
thats a full day in vurt time :)

i have rolled 10 rather fat joints
1 of these contains a pinch of "the green goddess" ;)
after i have been shopping and picked up some bottles of coke i will be settling in for a bit of recordng on the fly me thinks :hihi:

I´d just timestretch one of my tunes to 12 hours ;-)

to be true I´d like to get involved,

not sure yet what I have to come up with, 30 min or 120 min, but I will do it as needed

contact me at: smuesch [at] web [dot] de

Hi Scott,

I will try to come up with something for this, see what I get. I normally stop at 20 minutes, might be fun to extend it.

Could you maybe elaborate on your preferences to meet the concept of "ambient"? I've been attached previously with compilations that went in a direction far from my conception of the term. Either a simple list (eg beats/no beats, noise/no noise, etc) or some easily identified ambient (Enya ~= ambient, Dead can Dance = ambient; Merzbow ~= ambient, Daniel Menche = ambient). Not trying to be a genre fascist, just want to know what hat to put on. Some of my stuff (www.sighup.ca) gets played on Stillstream, but I don't think everything I do fits the category.

Thanks,
Steve

hey there Steve,

Non abrasive
soothing could be dark or light.
beat-wise i would say beatless would be my preference. if someone isn't comfortable writing in the beatless realm then i would recommend sparse percussion.

that is pretty much it... the bonus with this compilation is that the listeners will have plenty of time to become absorbed in the songs as opposed to intermittently different styles every 3-7 minutes.

n.y.a.h. wrote:hey there Steve,

Non abrasive
soothing could be dark or light.
So much for me, then..

:hihi:

Sicklecell666 wrote:
n.y.a.h. wrote:Non abrasive...soothing
So much for me, then..
Mmm, it is going to be hard.

I might be able to squeak in with something. I've been on a distortion and dirty pitchshifting kick lately (well, for a while now really), going to have to come up with some kind of soothing distortion. I recently described my stuff to somebody as "trying to be unpleasant, at least a little at any given moment," so you can see where I might get in to trouble.

Thanks for the clarification, Scott.

Hmmmm, hmmmm, hmmmm. I like a good challenge, but I procrastinate. But that could be a good thing, the longer I take to work on a project like this the longer the piece of music. Hmmmm I guess I could work on something, maybe a collab. Hmmmm :)

Hmmm...

Return to “Music Cafe”