(the product formerly known as) Epoch

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CPB wrote:No problem at all. And thanks for the question: it inspired me to look into expanding Epoch's approach to syncing and timing in a little more detail. I've brainstormed some easily implementable changes and improvements - simple enough that I expect they'll make it in for beta - that really expand the possibilites for fans of poly and/or irrational rhythms.
That is fantastic to hear, thanks so much. I can assure you I'll be taking advantage of such features!

best,

-m

I've had a query about more advanced sequencing options, specifically: can Epoch do Cirklon style Accumulators. To which the answer is yes ... and then some. With such a massively flexible routing engine behind the sequencers, Epoch excels at this type of thing.

Here's a simple example, in which a sequencer module (Accumulating Riff) not only produces the notes, it also generates the CV sequence to control a Counter module, which in turns feeds into into the sequencer's transpose and rate.* The CV sequence in question is empty aside from a single high-gate value at the end of the sequence. So every time the sequence finish, the high-gate increments the counter, which in turns transposes and accelerates the sequencer.

Note here that the wires which flow between the modules feature a few niceties to make them a little less intrusive when you're using your network: you can change the tautness of a wire, and make them partially transparent (in which case, you can click through them: very handy when you've finished routing and just want to tweak them controls!)

This sort of configuration only takes a few seconds to build, but for more complex examples, you can wrap things up in a re-usable macro: ideal as a starting point for new projects.

I aim to reveal the actually sequencer UI itself next, the flip-side to the routing, but until then, by all means don't hesitate to ask any questions.

* Square-shaped ports to the left of the labels signify Input; circles on the right of labels signify Outputs. Inputs can only go to Outputs, but besides that there are no limitations on how modules can be connected. The above example also illustrates that feedback is possible, with two modules both modulating each other.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Oh wow this looks awesome

Anyone remember Building Blocks?

aMUSEd wrote:Oh wow this looks awesome
Much appreciated!
aMUSEd wrote:Anyone remember Building Blocks?
Actually, I don't, but it certainly looks like something that would be worth my time investigating. Thanks!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Since many things seem modeled on hardware, will there be a manual for total dummies ?
You can't always get what you waaaant...

Indeed there will be, although perhaps not in time for the public beta: I'm sure you'd all rather get your hands on it, rather then waiting an additional unspecified period for the documentation to be finished. In the interim, I'll always be available on this forum to answer any questions.

Complex as Epoch may look, I've endeavoured to make the learning curve as gentle as possible. The default preset is as simple a configuration as you are likely to use, a single monophonic note sequencer connected directly to a single output, so you can immediately hear it working. Plus there are a few modules that help you analyse signal flows: oscilloscopes, real-time textual value displays, and logic-level displays. There will also be a big library of presets demonstrating individually each of the 80 or so built-in modules. If you don't understand a module, just load its corresponding preset and see it demonstrated.

Finally, there will also be a guide to Epoch's Lua model, which (if all goes according to plan), be available in some format for the beta. And can I emphasize the if all goes according to plan. ;)

I've just realised a much cleaner way of implementing Cirklon style accumulators if you only want to transpose a riff. Multiple connections to a single input are summed, even if they happen to be of different types (of which there are two basic Epoch types: Notes, and CV). When a Note and CV are combined, the Note pitch is transposed by the CV, so we can instead use this straight-forward implementation:

looks great
any idea of price?

dave

CPB wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Oh wow this looks awesome
Much appreciated!
aMUSEd wrote:Anyone remember Building Blocks?
Actually, I don't, but it certainly looks like something that would be worth my time investigating. Thanks!
That's interesting, I thought it looked like it might be inspired by BB

http://aureality.midiworld.org/products ... locks.html

This really is by far the most exciting music software announcement this year (at least for me) :)
I really can't wait to check it out!

Cheers
Dennis

I had BB and NI Generator running on an underpowered PC using
Windows 95 back in the day, so it never really worked to it's full
potential. Since I changed over to Macs a few years ago I have
loved having Numerology and this offering from Colin has me
very intrigued as well, I love all of Loomers software and have
always been impressed with all the work that goes into them as
well as the responsiveness to user requests and great all around
customer service. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

dave dove wrote:looks great
any idea of price?
At this point, it's still undecided. Expect pricing closer to, say, Thesys or Numerology, rather than Reaktor or MAX.

K..
thanks

dave

wohoo! I just came across this thread and it sound absolutely fantastic!

just a short question, will it be able to midi link the controls to some kind of hardware?

definitely count me in! :D

Yes; for the initial release, the hardware controller support will be more-or-less as is the other Loomer plug-ins: rotary controls and buttons can be easily mapped via MIDI CC, or using host parameter automation.

Epoch also has dedicated modules for reading MIDI input, be it MIDI notes, CCs, aftertouch, etc. I tend to use my Akai LPD8 for most controller duties, so have created a re-usable macro I can drop into any Epoch preset. This macro has outputs for the main pads and rotary controllers on the LPD8; you can (and should!) do the same for your hardware controller.

Support for more exotic hardware - your Launchpads and Monomes - is also on the roadmap for future development, but in all honesty I've not yet looked into this in any great detail.

Return to “Loomer”