(the product formerly known as) Epoch

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well as the original thread starter (exactly ONE YEAR and one day ago) ...if I may I be so bold, I really think the time is now :)

Oh wow, a year has gone by already: I can scarcely believe it!

Epoch is both getting closer - and more importantly, getting better - all the time. I've spent the past few days reworking how routings are stored. Whilst not hugely exciting, it was needed: huge patches of modules and wires, combined with Epoch's unlimited undo, could consume memory at rate which made me anxious. With the new version: a trifling handful of bytes per module.

But in terms of what work needs to be done before beta, I'm only tackling improvements on things that would prove difficult to fix in a later build: no more feature creep! I'm trying to avoid a situation where I can't improve something because to do so would wreck backwards compatibility. It's more pain now, but we'll all be grateful in the future!

(And, lots of the Epoch tech will be flowing back into the other Loomer products too, I hasten to add.)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

This is one of the few sites I check daily. Epoch is the most exciting piece of software on my list right now, and I don't even really have a clue as to what I'll do with it.

colin@loomer wrote:Oh wow, a year has gone by already: I can scarcely believe it!
I know me neither- I've never measured the passage of time with a thread before and it's really strange...it so does not feel like a year!

Will Epoch have support for chords input as MIDI data? Will it be able to handle those in an intelligent way? Or is this really optimized for monophonic note streams?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Yes, polyphonic MIDI data is supported; you can easily both process and generate chords.

On saying that, I would agree that it's (currently) easier to manipulate monophonic streams. At any point, you can combine multiple mono streams into a poly one just by connecting them to the same input; I tend to do most of my processing with mono MIDI streams, and then only sum to poly after all processing has been done.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

I guess I have two cases in mind: plugins like Catanya which let you trigger and transpose chords in relation to a polyphonic step sequencer, and conventional arpeggiator which generate a monophonic sequence from a chord.

Yes, both of those cases are do-able with Epoch.

...Actually, you've given me a great idea for a module which would hugely simplify creating arpeggiators: a 'note iterator'. This would 'hold' a note from its polyphonic input until it receives a certain event (a 1/16th clock, say.) It would then change the held note, according to some predefined pattern: up, down, up then down, random, etc. I'll knock up a little prototype over the weekend, see what I can come up with...

Thanks for the idea, and hope everyone has a great weekend!

Sounds great! I can't wait to get my hands on this thing. :)

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned, but another module I'd like to see is a multi-point spline curve editor, with controls over scanning direction, speed, loop points, and of course manual control of the current point along the curve. The obvious use would be to control rate of change to a clock source in a nonlinear way. It could also be useful when converting to audio as a control source for Expert Sleepers Silent Way and Eurorack modules.

colin@loomer wrote:To both releasing before Live 9, and tempting you to spend some money: I hope so! ;)
March 5th is looming upon Loomer :wink:

deastman wrote:... a multi-point spline curve editor, with controls over scanning direction, speed, loop points, and of course manual control of the current point along the curve.
That's the plan. I've got an awesome, albeit incomplete, MSEG generator and UI partially coded up. It does all you've asked, and more. It's tentatively penciled into the roadmap for Epoch 1.1, but priorities are likely to change when people get Epoch into their studios and start making feature requests.
March 5th is looming upon Loomer
Well I'd better get coding, then! :wink:

colin@loomer wrote:
deastman wrote:... a multi-point spline curve editor, with controls over scanning direction, speed, loop points, and of course manual control of the current point along the curve.
That's the plan. I've got an awesome, albeit incomplete, MSEG generator and UI partially coded up. It does all you've asked, and more. It's tentatively penciled into the roadmap for Epoch 1.1, but priorities are likely to change when people get Epoch into their studios and start making feature requests.
Sounds perfect! I'll look forward to your MSEG implementation in whichever version it arrives.

The op should really change the thread-title ;-)

I never clicked it and only now realized what awesomeness I missed.

Sounds like finally somebody does it right!

Cooooooooooooooooooooool

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Fair point, Thomas, although I did enjoy the top secret Epoch discussion club we've been having!

So I've (ab)used my mod powers to rename the thread; hope that's fine with you, pinki.

Return to “Loomer”