(the product formerly known as) Epoch

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can't always get what you waaaant...

Not to dip my little fly in your ointment, but it seems to me like it's a simplified version of Reaktor or Max. If it's NOT and I'm being very dense, could someone kindly explain the difference?

It's domain specific: Epoch focuses entirely on MIDI and sequencing, and doesn't generate audio signals at all (other than via hosted plug-ins.) The preview screenshot may only show one portion of the interface, but I can assure you there's a lot more to it than a Reaktor-wannabe.
Last edited by colin@loomer on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

ariston wrote:Not to dip my little fly in your ointment, but it seems to me like it's a simplified version of Reaktor or Max. If it's NOT and I'm being very dense, could someone kindly explain the difference?
I wouldn't say "simplified", it's more like "streamlined", at least when you want to build sequencers.

In Reaktor you sometimes have to do very complex routings to get simple stuff, especially when it comes to sequencers.
In Epoch the tables etc. already have inputs to increase a step by a positive value etc.
I could simply connect a note on to that for example.

In Reaktor I would have to route the note on to a couter, then to a modulo, then to a step filter.......

Epoch just seems to be a really cool way to experiment with sequencers and other MIDI manipulation stuff :)

Cheers
Dennis

I wish you would make a crazy step midi arp/stepseq/mangler/tool (made out of EPoch), as an entry for the KVR DC :love:
This way we could try a bit some features before it is released, and you'd get my vote for sure :)

CPB wrote:
justin3am wrote:Can Epoch deal with long sysex messages? For example, would it be possible to transmit text strings from Epoch via sysex? Perhaps with help from the LUA module?
At the moment, no, but I will add it the features request list. Its certainly an interesting idea, although, for various technical reasons, more likely to be in a future version than what we're aiming for with the first release.

Epoch currently has two data types, Note and CV, and adding a third, unbounded text strings, would take a significant redesign. Realtime modular patching systems and variable length strings do not make good bedfellows! On saying that, I can reassure you that the Lua module is completely realtime safe: it uses our own custom memory allocator so you can create objects without any fear of stalling or blocking the audio thread.
I can totally understand that. Most MIDI sequencers focus on the short messages (0xB0 0xXX 0xXX, 0x90 0xXX 0xXX, etc.) and for practical purposes within a DAW that is fine. It's cool that you are even considering this for a feature.

It would be nice to be able to send text strings and variable length messages to and from my MIDI controller (which can uses sysex to define custom display elements). I figure if Epoch could handle complex instructions via sysex and can format messages as hex data, I could build sequencers using my MIDI controller as a hardware interface with lots of feedback and such.

I figure if Epoch could handle complex instructions via sysex and can format messages as hex data, I could build sequencers using my MIDI controller as a hardware interface with lots of feedback and such.
I've had some thoughts on this, sketched out a few designs, and it's certainly a possible direction to take Epoch. It's not something I can really look at before the one-point-oh release though - feature creep has played enough havoc with the schedule as is - but by all means remind me post-launch, and I'll revisit this.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

CPB wrote:
I figure if Epoch could handle complex instructions via sysex and can format messages as hex data, I could build sequencers using my MIDI controller as a hardware interface with lots of feedback and such.
I've had some thoughts on this, sketched out a few designs, and it's certainly a possible direction to take Epoch. It's not something I can really look at before the one-point-oh release though - feature creep has played enough havoc with the schedule as is - but by all means remind me post-launch, and I'll revisit this.
Don't worry, I'm just grateful that you would take this kind of feature into consideration. I know all about feature creep and it's effect on schedules. There comes a point when you have to say "enough!" just so you can get it out the door. :)

Just from the little bit of info I've read here, I can't wait to try Epoch. I've been a long time user of Numerology and other modular environments, so I'm excited to see what kind of wackiness I can cook up with yours. :D

Glad to see Epoch is nearly here Colin... Sounds like another winner! :)

CPB wrote:Actually, I guess I could tease you with a few more details, and a (more or less) finished look at one of the parts.

The next product is called Epoch, and it's a modular sequencing environment. Think Thesys + Reaktor. At the most basic level, you have a massively powerful set of step sequencers, with all the nice features you'd expect (forward, reverse, pendulum playback modes; grooves; step repeat and skip, and a huge amount more). But you can also modulate each sequencer with every other sequencer; a pair of CV rows could be used to control the start and end loop markers of another sequencer, for example, or could slowly step through a numbers of keys and scales (which can be fully customised, fans of the Mela Sadvidhamargini scale will be pleased to hear).

But if that isn't enough, you can also dive in at a lower level and start creating your own sequencers, arpeggiators, generators, and processors. Presented below is the Routing Window (actually, it's a macro, within a macro, within the Routing window). Here, we're seeing the core logic for a little neural net influenced generative sequencer I'm playing with. This macro can be copied and re-used as required: in fact, this particular generator uses 8 of these. Also note the Lua module and script editor: sometimes, connecting components together to form complex functional blocks is a little cumbersome: for these occasions, you can code your own module logic directly using the built-in Lua scripting environment.

Audio Unit users will also be pleased to hear that it hosts plug-ins directly, so there are no pains with IAC's dodgy MIDI timing when used in Logic. Epoch will be available for Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows.

Next teaser will be the sequencer window itself, but that will, I'm afraid, have to wait until another day!

EDIT: Made screenshot clickable to see larger image.

:-o :D Like Reaktor? Super nice! whether privet or public beta testing, I'm looking forward to this :D

this looks fantastic.

quick question - sorry if you addressed this and I missed it - but will step lengths aside from multiples of 2 and 3 be possible? that is, 5s, 11s, etc.?

-m

mattmitch wrote:this looks fantastic.
Thanks!
will step lengths aside from multiples of 2 and 3 be possible? that is, 5s, 11s, etc.?
Yes. The standard sequencers have a Step-Length row that ranges from x1/4 (ie, quarter of the selected main sequencer division) to x16 (ie, sixteen times the selected division.) Much fun ensues when combined with the Count row, which allows each step to be repeated zero (ie, skipped) to any number of times.

Not flexible enough for you? Well, you can also modulate the division in real-time (perhaps using a CV sequencer?) so each step can have any length you want. So if experimenters want a sequence consisting of an alternating step of 1/64th notes, followed by a step of 128 bars length, it's do-able. Crazy, but do-able!

that is great to hear. very few sequencing environments seem to offer this sort of capability. Numerology does of course, and Synth Squad and Geist do also in their engines with their ratios, but its great to have options and of course I'm going to jump on this as soon as it is possible - it will be great to have another way of dealing with quintuplets, septuplets, etc...

thanks for the quick reply, also.

-m

No problem at all. And thanks for the question: it inspired me to look into expanding Epoch's approach to syncing and timing in a little more detail. I've brainstormed some easily implementable changes and improvements - simple enough that I expect they'll make it in for beta - that really expand the possibilites for fans of poly and/or irrational rhythms.

Return to “Loomer”