(the product formerly known as) Epoch

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
This may be like a dumb quesiton regarding the huge amount of Epoch's forthcoming possibilities, but i have a Nanokontrol which i dream of being able to use it as a step sequencer : do you plan to have such templates ? (like "hey ! look, there is a preset/template of this little stepseq, and guess what ? it is already pre-configured to work from scratch with your Korg Nanokontrol").
Thanks, i am really looking forward to Epoch (my main concern being the features/intuitiveness ratio, but i think i can trust you :) ).

I need to revisit MIDI control at some point soon, likely early next week, and so I'll be sure to keep this suggestion in mind.

It's a great idea: I'd not actually thought of using a Nanokontrol (or similar) as a step sequencer controller, but it makes perfect sense. I've got some good ideas formulating. I'll update when I have something concrete to show, but rest assured: chances are good that you'll be getting your dream!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

omg, great - as i also own a nanokontrol! :D also, i'd love to create step sequencer for my launchpad! it's hard for me to wait until it is available... hehe

CPB wrote:It's a great idea: [...] it makes perfect sense. I've got some good ideas formulating. [...]chances are good that you'll be getting your dream!
:love:

is it for this or the next year?? :D

Aiming for a public beta this year; we're definitely on the home straight now. I'm working my way through the a short list of outstanding development; unfortunately, I'm also adding to it each time someone suggests a good idea! ;)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

So here's a good idea : stop adding features. So you can charge for V2 updates. :)

Joke apart, do you still plan to make an early buy offer ?
You can't always get what you waaaant...

But I have more than enough planned for a version 2 already (albeit an unpaid one!) And hopefully, stanlea, you won't have to wait until version 2 for Epoch to support that other plug-in format you LoVe 2 ask about. :P

Yes, early-bird discount is still on the cards, and I anticipate leaving it at this cheaper price throughout the entire length of public beta.

Message received

LV2, woo-hoo! Want! Want! Want! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Damn. I want this now. Not saying I want you to let it go into the public beta stage, just showing how much I long for this AND parting with my money. I know what I need and it's not the money, to give you a hint.

Hint taken! ;)

I'm currently reworking scene handling, one of the two larger components which needs souping up for release. On one level, scenes work similar to Live: you have a number of scenes per sequencer, which you will queue up for playing via MIDI control and/or mouse-clicks, or drag to arrange them on the timeline view.

More interesting though is the fact that the scenes can be controlled via modulation inputs in the routing window. This allows you to sequence dynamic, evolving music, completely away from the timeline. A basic set-up would be a CV sequencer routed directly to another sequencer's scene: the stream of numbers from the CV sequencer govern which scene the second sequencer will play. But you can do much more elaborate and interesting things: perhaps connect a toggle button to a counter to a scene controller. Now, you can stay on a particular scene ('intro') for a certain number of repetitions, than when you are ready to move on, hit the (likely MIDI mapped) toggle button to increase the counter, and move onto scene2 ('verse'), etc...

now please... ;)

dave

If only it wasn't so absolutely absorbing, perhaps I'd spend less time composing generative music with Epoch, and more time actually polishing it up for beta!

Whilst I should have been finishing the Timeline/Arrange view, I've been sidetracked into experiments with Markov Chain based sequencers. It's a simple premise in which we have multiple CV rows, where any of the CV values at a particular step correspond to where the sequencer may go next.

So, step 1 may have CV rows with values 1, 2, and 6. After step 1 has played, there is then a 1/3 chance of playing it again, 1/3 of going onto step 2, and 1/3 of going onto step 6. Set up similar CV indexes on all steps (perhaps using one of the many generative functions which can populate a sequencer randomly for you), and we have a nice little algorithmic compositional tool going.

The routing behind this is incredibly simple: set the sequencer to 'indexed' mode* (in which the step to play is read from an input modulation port, as opposed to governed by an internal playhead). Route then the three CV values to a S&H held switch which picks from the possible CV outputs randomly each time a step is played, and then feed this choice back into the sequencer's step index. This one is sure to find itself in the factory presets.

* Very handy if you want to write you own playhead. Even without this, Epoch's sequencers have most play directions covered: forwards, backwards, random, pendulum, alternative, brownian, etc, but it's nice to have this additional flexibility if you want to write your own. Also useful to chain multiple sequencers together in sync: the step output from one becomes the step input of another.

Return to “Loomer”