(the product formerly known as) Epoch

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

colin@loomer wrote:Still progressing nicely, but I do have to concede that, unless by some miracle the elves from "The Elves and the Shoemaker" have some great C++ skills, Bigwig do get to release first!
Can you beat Sampletank 3? :clown:

colin@loomer wrote:Still progressing nicely, but I do have to concede that, unless by some miracle the elves from "The Elves and the Shoemaker" have some great C++ skills, Bigwig do get to release first!
Hey maybe some screenshots and a feature list would get some attention here as a possible alternative.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

any chance to have at least the name revealed before the bitwig release?
I'm kinda sure there is not a single line of C++ code necessary for doing this, especially since - according to you - a decision has already been made.
so, colin, come on... give us... something, at least ;)

HunterKiller wrote:
Hey maybe some screenshots and a feature list would get some attention here as a possible alternative.
When you speak about development too early like this, attention is the last thing you want ;)
Duh

bungle wrote:
HunterKiller wrote:
When you speak about development too early like this, attention is the last thing you want ;)
Yes that is common knowledge :tu: , however: early?? ;)
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

please take your time, even if its an epoch and do not come up with a 1.0 like Bugwig! :uhuhuh:

I'm pretty sure this is all about a good beta test team... (Less secrets, more testing).
CU
VK

Are we there yet ?

Beta, Release... I'll take anything :hyper:

I don't know why everyone is yelling!

my birthday is fairly soon - just putting it out there :)

We're closer, but still the same old story I'm afraid: things needed reworking because I wasn't 100% happy, and this time it was a rather fundamental piece.

Essentially, beforehand I was doing some clever mapping, whereby it would assign parameters on the fly from a fixed pool (and to clarify, by 'parameter', I mean an assignable value visible for automation in your host.) Which worked well on some hosts, but unfortunately, not so good on others. The problem was, that as patches changed, the parameters would re-map, and certain hosts simply wouldn't respect the fact that parameter 100 used be an LFO frequency, but it's now a Logic gate operator enumeration. (Then again, most plug-in in specs are vague on this case anyway, so I have a feeling it worked by luck more than judgement.)

So, I went back to the drawing board on this - a pain because parameters are rather fundamental - and have went with a new system whereby, whilst we still have a small fixed set of parameters which map to macros, all other controls are now mappable via MIDI only, rather than via VST (etc) parameters. Which may seem a downer, but is actually better in a lot of respects because:

a) MIDI automation tends to be sample accurate, whilst parameter automation is in many cases only accurate to the nearest audio buffer - not ideal for accurate sequencing - and

b) Anything can be mapped and MIDI controlled now. I have a system where any object can theoretically be MIDI controllable, which works better than the previous method of, some things could be MIDI mapped. It's now a cinch to, for example, map steps of a mono note sequencer to MIDI rotaries, and use your little MIDI controller as an analog-style step sequencer.

Nothing's even easy I guess, but I'm hoping there are no more such massive changes in the future!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Just for the record, nothing in MIDI is sample accurate, and MIDI automation from any host is governed by the particular way that they have decided to implement said system (Especially when it comes to external interfacing using timestamps and so on), not to say that the system you have gone for is bad (Far from it and not the intention here) just pointing out the reality, Cockos removed 'Sample Accurate MIDI' from their site when i pointed this out, there really is no such thing as sample accurate MIDI, the MIDI standard itself defines a MIDI note as 1ms if i remember correctly ;)

Having said that, I think going the MIDI is huge workflow boost in the sort of system you are building considering how many cheap controllers are available now, there are hundreds of unused MIDI dials and buttons in every studio i work in and in this sort of system you could create some outrageous set ups for on the fly composing.
Duh

Hey Colin, thanks for the update!
I encountered that problem with Reaktor several times so yes, it's nothing that VST reallly lends itself to...

I am not sure if that is how it works already, but I could imagine it would be good to have a certain range of VST parameters that can be mapped inside of non-Epoch freely.
While Midi is fine and dandy, I love the non-stepped modulation mapping in Bitwig Studio and wouldn't want to downconvert that to midi first and then back to floating point.

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

bungle wrote:Just for the record, nothing in MIDI is sample accurate, and MIDI automation from any host is governed by the particular way that they have decided to implement said system.
That's a sensible point actually, and one I shouldn't have glossed over: it is host dependent, but generally MIDI events generated internally in the host - notes or automation - and passed directly to the plug-in, will be. Once you start dealing with external MIDI devices - and internal MIDI routing drivers too: I'm looking at you, Mac IAC driver - sample accuracy is unobtainable. The IAC driver is barely second accurate, let alone sample accurate! :P
ThomasHelzle wrote:I am not sure if that is how it works already, but I could imagine it would be good to have a certain range of VST parameters that can be mapped inside of non-Epoch freely.
Yes: you'll have a fixed number of rotary and button macros that have fixed VST parameter ids.
ThomasHelzle wrote:I love the non-stepped modulation mapping in Bitwig Studio
I'll check that out; thanks for the tip!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Good stuff!
Can't wait to give it a try :-)

Thanks Colin!

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Return to “Loomer”