Future of Sequent ? (13th May update: Sequent 1.3.11)

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking about buying Sequent but notice that there haven't been any updates in a year ... are you still developing it ?

Yes, it's still under development. Unfortunately, the newest currently-in-development Loomer product has taken vastly more time than originally anticipated, which has unfortunately left us with little time to focus on feature updates to the existing product line.

So yes, I can categorically state there will be plenty more free Sequent updates in the future, you'll just need to wait a little while longer!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Sequent is perfect as'is! infact all Loomer products are.Just Resound and Manifold left for me to purchase.VAT is a killer though! :tantrum:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

I really like Sequent, but I would like to use it with my live setups and sync to other tools I have. Do you have any plans adding Jack Transport support? It'd be super-cool, if Sequent could take tempo over Jack Transport. (I'm talking about stand-alone Sequent, of course)

Yes - support for Jack Transport is already scheduled for development. I'll ensure this gets looked at during the first round of updates after the next product release: I'd imagine it's something I could get working with only a few hours development. Thanks for the reminder.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

teuvotohvelo, meanwhile you can try the VST version which syncs to the host, and certain hosts (like Renoise) have varying degrees of support for Jack transport.

Yeah, I think support for Jack Transport could be quite easy to add. I'm waiting impatiently!

I've tried Sequent as VST plugin in Renoise, but I'm not sure if that's good host: I have only a demo version. Other suggestions of Jack Transport -capable VST hosts on Linux?

I'm fairly confident that qtractor supports both native Linux VST plug-ins, and JACK transport: perhaps this'll be a decent interim solution?

But you'll be pleased to hear I've allocated a little time later this week to scope the development work involved in JACK transport support. No promises, but if it doesn't take too much time, I may be able to either get a beta, or indeed full release, of Sequent + JACK Transport support out sooner rather than later.

@teuvotohvelo - If I do get a Sequent beta build done soon, would you be happy to give it a test, and confirm it does what it's supposed to do!?

Progress report: I've done a quick bit of research into supporting JACK Transport, and have now got a test JACK client application which reads the playing/stopped status, beats per minute, and bars:beats:ticks position from a JACK Transport master. I think this is everything you'd need, right?

Next stage is to integrate this code into my framework, adding an option to the audio configuration dialog to enable JACK Transport support and tweaking Sequent to respond to said transport status. Time prevailing, and provided no higher priority tasks crop up, I should get this done over the weekend. Early next week at the latest.

JACK Transport support is now complete. Sequent will now follow the JACK master in respect to play/stop status, tempo, and transport position. Good to tick something off the feature request list which has been on there for so long!

Some further internal testing is still needed, and I have a few minor tweaks to make to Sequent in anticipation of the next major update. All goes well, expect a Sequent Linux beta upload over the next few days.

Last post was about half a year ago. Any news about future Sequent versions?

Wow, to my shame, I can't believe it's been so long. All hands have been on deck with the new plug-in, which has had the unfortunate effect on delaying feature updates to the existing product line. Still, the products are all still being worked on, the framework constantly updated, and bugs fixed as they are found: Sequent, did see an update release in December 2012, and then another in late January this year. It probably makes sense to actually release some further point builds, just to get the improved versions into everyone's hands: I'll see about getting them released this week.

As for 'feature' updates, I've got some new effects and MSEGs all coded up for Sequent, but am in two minds about how to best integrate them: in a 1.n release, or as a 2.0. I'm leaning towards the latter, simply because I suspect shoehorning new effects into Sequent 1.0s UI will be a bit messy. Again, this is something I'll revisit post new product release.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to your new additions.

colin@loomer wrote: As for 'feature' updates, I've got some new effects and MSEGs all coded up for Sequent, but am in two minds about how to best integrate them: in a 1.n release, or as a 2.0. I'm leaning towards the latter, simply because I suspect shoehorning new effects into Sequent 1.0s UI will be a bit messy. Again, this is something I'll revisit post new product release.
Sounds more like a 2.0 release here too... don't want that UI getting all messy! ;)

I've just uploaded the Sequent 1.3.9 beta. On the surface there aren't massive differences, but there are a lot of changes going on 'under the hood', so I'd appreciated it if anyone can either confirm or deny that this build works for them!

I've reworked the Mac installers again; hopefully, this time they'll work without fuss on anything from Mac OS X 10.5 onwards. They seem fine to me on Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, but a second opinion would be much appreciated.

Also in this release:
  • (fix: Mac OS X) Cables between effect modules can now be removed using a single button mouse.
  • (fix: Mac OS X) Fixed issue which could cause Sequent to be skipped by Kore or Maschine's plug-in scan.
  • (fix: Mac OS X Audio Unit) Space key-presses will now always be passed through to Logic, ensuring that Logic's transport can be started and stopped.
  • (fix: Mac OS X) Gatekeeper signed installers now install correctly on Mac OS X 10.5.
  • (improvement: Windows) The 32-bit and 64-bit VST plug-ins are now installed as separate components. You can choose which one(s) to install, as well as selecting different install folders for each architecture.
  • (fix: Mac OS X Audio Unit) Fixed issue which caused Reaper to host new instances of Sequent as a mono plug-in.
  • (fix: Mac OS X Audio Unit) Fixed minor memory leak in parameter names.
  • (improvement) Clearer UI fonts in various places.
Download the installers for Mac OS X, Windows, Linux (32-bit & 64-bit) here.

Return to “Loomer”