Aspect 2 angst

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The first option: Shift 2 was, for example, a totally free upgrade for Shift 1 owners.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

beta?
alpha?

That's very generous Colin. Looking forward to aspect 2.

*checks forum every single day*

Hi Colin

Will Aspect 2 have the ability to manually enter parameter values and make adjustments with the mouse 1 unit at a time when holding shift (or with CAPS LOCK enabled)? These have been my only real issues with Aspects UI.

It's STILL the best Linux synth plugin so I can't wait for v2!

Thanks!

PS Have you tried Tracktion 5 and/or Bitwig under Linux yet?

Yes to both of these requests. In fact, I've got a few fixes due for release for Aspect 1 that will also include keyboard entry for parameters.

I've not had a chance to try Bitwig under Linux yet; how does it stack up against Tracktion and Renoise?
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Hi Colin

That's great to hear re parameter control!

I expected that would be it for Aspect v1 now - obviously not. Do you plan to release this updated Aspect v1 before v2 or whatever your current main project is called? Will this be the final update to Aspect v1 or do you plan to maintain it alongside v2?

I've not tried Bitwig myself yet. I'm happy enough with Tracktion and there's no way I could justify paying £300+ for Bitwig.

I asked one of the Linuxmusicians forum members who is familiar with Tracktion and who was a Live user for years before he switched to Linux what his thoughts are on Bitwig and he gave this quite comprehensive response:

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=60

(see the third post on that page)

@colin & @danboid

I've been doing a bit of work with Bitwig under linux now. So far, it's been a mixed bag- but it's been largely positive. I am by no means an experienced audio engineer or recording engineer, but I'll put in my two cents.

First, what I was using: I'm honestly not using Renoise for much of anything at the moment, and Renoise3 is pretty well the tits when it comes to trackers. I have all sorts of love for Renoise- so that says a lot. I'm also still using Ardour 3 for a few things regularly still, like editing rehearsal/performance recordings. Other than that, I'm in Bitwig all the time now. I haven't gotten too much in to Tracktion. I tried it a bit, and it just didn't click with me. I was toying with giving it a try again, but have been too occupied with stuff that makes me $$ in music to do so.

So, I've been using Bitwig as my daily driver for audio stuff. Composing and recording in it is very easy, and pretty intuitive right out of the gate. I love having multiple projects open at once. I've been able to make some gig-saving edits on the fly very much so at the last minute using it already- stuff I would have had a more difficult time doing in Ardour, for instance.

The audio engine sounds great on everything. I'm getting about 5.8 ms latency without pulseaudio- I have to disable wi-fi to do so, though. I don't mind because turning off the webbernets makes me more productive. The built in devices have been nothing but great thus far. I was originally bummed at no LV2 support, but I haven't found myself missing having them either. I have a project going now that has about 20 tracks of a combination of midi synth stuff, audio, and hybrid tracks alike. It's making my Core i5 laptop with 8GB ram peak at a DSP load of about 16% when I work on it. Being able to go back and forth from the clip launcher to the arranger is amazing. Multi monitor support is great.

The things that I don't like are as follows. I can't figure out how to launch clips or scenes with a Generic MIDI device. I might just be missing something easy, but that sucks not being able to map a device to do so. I don't code, so the open API isn't a big help, but I appreciate it's existence. I really don't like that I can't change meter in the middle of a project. That is a big limitation on my work. I also am unhappy at the lack of OSC support, but I understand that is planned for a later release. I have tried @moss's OSC script, but I can't get it to work with touchOSC yet- so I'm kind of frustrated there.

All of my musician friends are really impressed with Bitwig when they see what I can do with it- including my friend that was an Apple Genius (now an audioengineer) who's solution to any of my audio problems is usually, "spend $2-3 K on a Mac, LogicPro and Mainstage and your life will be complete". He's actually really interested in seeing the live networked performance features they're talking about for version 2. Seriously, he wasn't just drinking the Kool-aid, he was making it and he digs what I can do in Bitwig. Being able to pull anybody's head out of the Apple Reality Distortion Field® for even a moment is quite a feat for software on it's first release.

Tech support has been great, frequent, and timely when needed.

I have been using Aspect a lot within Bitwig. The two play very, very nicely together for me. I have been using it a lot, and recommending it to others a lot as well. Thanks for a good quality VST product that works well natively for linux, Colin! If either of you have any other questions about my experience with Bitwig thus far, I'd be happy to get back to you.
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

Thanks for the detailed write-up tomsa; much appreciated. You've convinced me that I need to take a weekend to really dive into Bitwig!

Just uhh...

Posting because I use aspect every day and love it...

Hoping to see aspect2 soon..

Thanks daed, that's exactly what I needed to hear! I hope you'll love Aspect 2 even more.

I second that sentiment. Can't wait to see what you've been cooking up! :tu:

Hi Colin,
Just wondering if you're planning on including an EQ in the fx section? I think a 2 band high/low shelf w adjustable centre frequencies would be most useful. I've been appreciating the EQs in ACE and LuSH lately for final touches on presets, although they give no clue as to where it's actually boosting.
Anyway, I'll leave it all in your very capable hands :)
Very curious to see how Aspect has evolved in your lab!!

Also wondering if you could slap a filter cutoff separation/offset knob on there somewhere? I know you can easily assign this function to the modwheel or aftertouch, but I'd *really* like a dedicated knob.

Haha, I have mixed feelings about this...I really think Aspect deserves way more recognition and exposure, but at the same time I don't want to share my gem with everyone else! Kinda like the software equivalent of the guys who have AN1x's or AN200s and know just what a beaut of a synth resides within but don't advertise it. Anyhoo, I can't be selfish, and I really am waiting with eager anticipation to see what Colin's come up with and how it's all been put together. I feel like an Apple fanboi waiting for the next iPhone to land, queued around 5 blocks, sleeping on the street the night before. Angst and anticipation indeed.

Lastly let me just say that Aspect is a synth that makes me want to play... you get lost in a sound and time just flies by. Other synths are cool to load up, do some sound design, check the CPU meter go thru the roof, then pack it up again. I know that's a very broad statement and not accurate to paint all others with the same brush, but the consistently outstanding characteristic of Aspect is its huge sweet spot, and when you start to tweak the sounds they just pull you in. Delay and reverb do help too :)

Beta tester on standby :D

Any update on this? Curious to see what v2 has in store :tu:

Return to “Loomer”