Aspect 2 angst

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm hoping v2 will be a whole lot simpler.
That's the plan. The way routing is presented and configured is completely re-done, making everything much clearer.
So we might find he does include oversampling as standard (not optional), and that it won't be too tough on the old CPU!
I do have some impressively efficient oversampling code done - Sequent actually uses it for its distortion. Intelligent (that is, enabled on a per component basis) oversampling in Aspect is, however, a bit trickier due to the potential of anything modulating anything else. I think it will be optional though: I imagine I'd infuriate people if their presets from Aspect 1 use twice the CPU in Aspect 2!
BTW, the pulse osc on Aspect is just great. Love it! Very grunty
Grunty: that is the perfect description of Aspect's pulse oscillator!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

gimme, gimme,gimme pretty please. :love:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

colin@loomer wrote:I imagine I'd infuriate people if their presets from Aspect 1 use twice the CPU in Aspect 2!
Colin, you have so much 'infuriation headroom' with Aspect due to it's current extremely low CPU usage, so i wouldn't worry about that too much. If the oversampling is optional we could compose in v1 mode and render in v2 mode, or if your CPU can handle it just go v2 OS all the way.
colin@loomer wrote:Grunty: that is the perfect description of Aspect's pulse oscillator!
Cool! hehe! I heard the New Oxford Dictionary For Musos has a picture of Aspect next to 'grunty'. :D

Can I mention the new nasty filters you're working on?....oops, too late. My bad! 8)

Grunt + filthy filters + oversampling = :love: :love: :love: :D

Quick feature request:
One thing i've always liked about Aspect is that it doesn't have any onboard effects, and it's raw sound is so robust no effects are required to beef it up.

So, just a FR for Aspect 2: if it does indeed include onboard effects, please include a master effect bypass switch, ie, one button that switches them all off at once.
Also, unused modules, whether effects or oscillators, should not chow CPU cycles in any way. In guitar-pedal speak, true bypass. I'm sure this is already part of Aspect's DNA anyway.

Thanks Colin!

Long sea no time!
How goes it Colin?

It goes well, thanks! Nothing major to report on Aspect 2, I'm afraid, other than that writing test scripts to ensure preset compatibility isn't broken by the upgrade is even less fun than it sounds.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

I'm really looking forward to Aspect 2 as well. That synth is just one of a kind - incredible sound quality with loads of routing flexibility without sacrificing ease-of-use. Just amazing work!

:band2:
:wheee:

Any plans of officially supporting the Cubase preset browser / MediaBay?
It almost already works, just needs some attention: saving in Cubase already saved (in Aspect) presets and browsing them through the Cubase preset browser links them to the integrated preset browser (but not the other way around)
The MediaBay is really neat as I could browse fast through presets with my midi controller (and listen to them) without even having to launch Aspect / create an Instrument Track

fceramic wrote:I'm really looking forward to Aspect 2 as well. That synth is just one of a kind - incredible sound quality with loads of routing flexibility without sacrificing ease-of-use. Just amazing work!
And low on cpu :)

I'll take a look at what is involved at supporting MediaBay.

(As an aside, improving MIDI preset browsing using hardware controllers is on the agenda, so even if for some quirk MediaBay support isn't possible, I suspect this feature'll substitute it nicely.)

Great, thanks for your reply Colin!
Looking forward to Aspect2

So I've pretty much fallen for this synth as wonky unusual sounds seem to fall from it effortlessly. I would like to buy it but noticed that Aspect 2 is on the cards. Will there be an upgrade path or should I hold off until the new one is out? Aspect 2 won't dilute the awesome "no BS" vibe that this beauty has I hope!

Thanks! There will be an upgrade path, but it's an upgrade path of the most pleasing variety: all updates and upgrades are free to current owners, no matter when they purchased v1.

Upgrade path as in say, version 2 of String, would be free for version 1 owners? Or are you talking about version 1.2 etc?

Return to “Loomer”