!Epoch, for the next 4 years

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bungle wrote:So you make a rude comment, apologise and then condescend, just well done on that right there !!
it's a marketing and consumer playground. I didn't mean to hurt any feelings. Once I wrote philips sonicare a nice long rant about how I thought they could improve their toothbrushes. I suggested that the motor slowly warm up to avoid the shock of sudden vibration contact on the teeth. This is the same thing to me. If sonicare had announced that feature a few years ago I would be sending more ranty emails. If you see somthing, say something. Even if you may be wrong. If you believe in what you're saying its probably going to come off a bit condescending. In my first comment I said this could be some sort of viral marketing to keep eyes on loomer and it wouldn't be hard for someone to mock up a fake project. This happens on kickstarter all the time. If a 100 page thread of bitching and moaning wasn't somehow in the developers best interest I think they would have deleted it. Kim Kardashian is world famouse because everyone loathes her and now the advertising world is more manipulative than ever. KVR is an old moldy grumpy place a lot of the time (there I go again!) so I felt a bit over-comfortable saying how I really feel. I haven't been here since the whole safe space thing happened so I'm not quite sure how thin skinned I should have been here. But Loomer seems to deal with my and our bullshit with grace.

Thanks grinzler (and you too, bungle); all feedback and input is absolutely appreciated, be it glowing or critical.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

It's been a week of fixing some of the remaining obscure issues. One was a particularly nasty crash that occurred incredibly rarely when deleting certain plug-ins. It's all too easy to blame the plug-ins when these type of errors crop up, but when it happened with the ever reliable Pro-53 - as solid as a plug-in'll get - I decided to bite the bullet and get this one fixed. Which meant tackling some very difficult multi-threading code. Good news though: bug squashed. With a test machine running a script that randomly adds and removes plug-ins, literally tens every second, I left it running for 24 hours - an extreme stress test - and I'm pleased to report: rock solid.

I've also been improving the plug-in / host integration when it itself is ran as a plug-in. You have various pools of working files - a MIDI pool, an audio pool, etc - into which you can record directly. In most cases, when running as a plug-in, you'll probably just use the direct MIDI or audio outputs, but there are some cases - such as when you're recording multiple channel audio and the host doesn't allow so many channels at once - when you need to use an intermediary pool. The goal here was to make things as seamless as possible: ideally one can drag directly from the pool into the host. To do this, I piggy-back the file drag and drop system, creating temporary files and then telling the host that these files are what is being dragged. Works well in most cases, although there are, as usual, some hosts that don't support file drag and drop, and for those troublesome environments you will need to fall back to the slower method of saving in the plug-in and then importing the file into the host. Not as nice, but unfortunately there isn't much else I can think to do when the host lacks such facility.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

fantastic work Colin.
colin@loomer wrote:IWith a test machine running a script that randomly adds and removes plug-ins, literally tens every second, I left it running for 24 hours - an extreme stress test - and I'm pleased to report: rock solid.
Can we get an audio output from that :)

grinzler wrote:
bungle wrote:So you make a rude comment, apologise and then condescend, just well done on that right there !!
it's a marketing and consumer playground. I didn't mean to hurt any feelings. Once I wrote philips sonicare a nice long rant about how I thought they could improve their toothbrushes. I suggested that the motor slowly warm up to avoid the shock of sudden vibration contact on the teeth. This is the same thing to me. If sonicare had announced that feature a few years ago I would be sending more ranty emails. If you see somthing, say something. Even if you may be wrong. If you believe in what you're saying its probably going to come off a bit condescending. In my first comment I said this could be some sort of viral marketing to keep eyes on loomer and it wouldn't be hard for someone to mock up a fake project. This happens on kickstarter all the time. If a 100 page thread of bitching and moaning wasn't somehow in the developers best interest I think they would have deleted it. Kim Kardashian is world famouse because everyone loathes her and now the advertising world is more manipulative than ever. KVR is an old moldy grumpy place a lot of the time (there I go again!) so I felt a bit over-comfortable saying how I really feel. I haven't been here since the whole safe space thing happened so I'm not quite sure how thin skinned I should have been here. But Loomer seems to deal with my and our bullshit with grace.
You're hilarious :hihi:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

colin@loomer wrote:Works well in most cases, although there are, as usual, some hosts that don't support file drag and drop, and for those troublesome environments you will need to fall back to the slower method of saving in the plug-in and then importing the file into the host. Not as nice, but unfortunately there isn't much else I can think to do when the host lacks such facility.
Just out of curiosity, which hosts are you finding that lack this functionality?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

It's actually very unusual: I recall it was just a few Linux hosts that manifest this, but obviously my testing wasn't exhaustive enough to cover all situations. The big-uns - your Ableton Lives and Logics and Cubases - all allow drag and drop just fine. As a general rule, I'd say you're fine if your host allows drag and drop of files directly from the desktop. If you need to import first into an audio pool, then you're gonna have to accept life in the slow lane.

Are there any Linux users who'd shortly be up for testing a few things? I have a small selection of Linux flavours installed that I use for general testing - and so far have found no distribution specific bugs - but considering the width of possibilities I'd like to cover a few more bases before it gets released into the wild.

Thanks in advance.

(Also, a quick update report: I've been bug fixing. It's about as thrilling as it sounds.)

I can help if needed, though I'd caveat to say I don't primarily use Linux as my main DAW, I have been using Linux intermittently for servers, laptops and fun for more than ten years.

I guess you wont be supporting Rasbian and the Raspberry Pi (which is my current Linux flavour de'jour (Amsynth works amazingly well on a Pi3)), but I am happy to test drive on most distros, apart from Arch - just not a fan of that distro - seems deliberately high maintenance!

prupert wrote:
I guess you wont be supporting Rasbian and the Raspberry Pi (which is my current Linux flavour de'jour (Amsynth works amazingly well on a Pi3)), but I am happy to test drive on most distros, apart from Arch - just not a fan of that distro - seems deliberately high maintenance!
Now you're making me see this on a board small enough to build a controller around and having a nice Modular sequencer that runs 'standalone'. Raspberry Pi or some other cheap platform would be ace.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

That's exactly my plan for the Raspi and Amsynth or equivalent. Bung the Raspi in a MIDI controller, turning it in to standalone, modular synth in its own right.

Now, if we could shoehorn Epoch onto the Raspi, that would be totally awesome, allowing you to build super awesome synths, effects or midi-generating algotools which you can than control in realtime within a hacked midi controller. That's been my goal for ages...

I love the Pi, so don't rule out a port - or maybe just a little open-source mini-Epoch - somewhere down the line.

prupert wrote:That's exactly my plan for the Raspi and Amsynth or equivalent. Bung the Raspi in a MIDI controller, turning it in to standalone, modular synth in its own right.

Now, if we could shoehorn Epoch onto the Raspi, that would be totally awesome, allowing you to build super awesome synths, effects or midi-generating algotools which you can than control in realtime within a hacked midi controller. That's been my goal for ages...
You can already do it, There is a Pi build of Reaper.
Duh

colin@loomer wrote:Are there any Linux users who'd shortly be up for testing a few things?
Yes, I can test on openSUSE TW.

Kott wrote:
colin@loomer wrote:Are there any Linux users who'd shortly be up for testing a few things?
Yes, I can test on openSUSE TW.
Can test on Suse Leap

Return to “Loomer”