What would you like to see from ValhallaDSP in the future?

Locked New Topic

What would you like to see from ValhallaDSP in the future?

Chorus
14%
Flanger
2%
More reverbs
8%
Pitch Shifting things
18%
Weird noisy texture things
28%
Dynamics Processors (compressor, limiter)
11%
Multitap delays
6%
Other delay plugins
2%
Distortion/waveshaping
5%
Granular
7%

Total votes: 222

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all:

In case anyone finds their way to this dusty corner of KVR, I am starting to think about what will come after ValhallaShimmer. My current priority is to resolve any issues with presets and state saving, and then release 64 bit versions of the code. Next, Windows RTAS. After that, I do have a plugin that is mostly done. From that point onwards, it is new stuff.

The poll features stuff I have done in the past, that I am pretty good at (although I don't know how my compressors and limiters stand up to the current state of the art). If you have other things you would want to hear from me, now is the time to speak up. ValhallaShimmer and FreqEcho should give you a pretty good idea of my personal aesthetic, but obviously I want to hear what potential customers would want.

Thanks,

Sean Costello
Last edited by valhallasound on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hey Sean,

I just threw a vote in for pitch shifting, but I guess my eyes are playing tricks on me because I missed the weird noise texture one. Anyway, I'd love for a pitch shifting weird noise texture plugin!

Any idea if there'll be a pay version of FreqEcho? I had a whole list of feature requests that I'd gladly pay for, but my mind is absolutely blank. It's been a long day and I need food. :wheee:

elxicano wrote:Hey Sean,

I just threw a vote in for pitch shifting, but I guess my eyes are playing tricks on me because I missed the weird noise texture one. Anyway, I'd love for a pitch shifting weird noise texture plugin!

Any idea if there'll be a pay version of FreqEcho? I had a whole list of feature requests that I'd gladly pay for, but my mind is absolutely blank. It's been a long day and I need food. :wheee:
No pay version of FreqEcho planned. I want to add more features at some point, but the "basic" single channel version of FreqEcho will be free of charge.

At some point in the future, if I create a version with multiple channels (for different frequency regions, or "plexed" together), then I would charge money for that.

I vote weird noisy texture things, mainly because it's the most likely to be something I don't have in spades already, depending on what weird noisy texture things might end up being.

valhallasound wrote:
elxicano wrote:Hey Sean,

No pay version of FreqEcho planned. I want to add more features at some point, but the "basic" single channel version of FreqEcho will be free of charge.

At some point in the future, if I create a version with multiple channels (for different frequency regions, or "plexed" together), then I would charge money for that.
I do believe I would find that to be incredibly useful!

Well, no pressure from my end... It's just that FreqEcho easily became a favorite of mine :D

A really good sounding (authentic!) tape delay akin to Roland Space Echo .. And I mean really good not just sounding something a little bit like that ;) Made with blood, sweat, tears and sacrificing furry kittens .. No matter what it takes .. Better than GSI etc ... I know it's not a small feat and maybe impossible ;)

I am a happy customer with the Shimmer btw! It's excellent! :love:
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

I'd like to see a Valhalla plate algo verb...a nice space echo would be good too, but a plate would be sweet!

JeffSanders wrote:I'd like to see a Valhalla plate algo verb...a nice space echo would be good too, but a plate would be sweet!
"Digital" plate? Or physical plate?

valhallasound wrote:
JeffSanders wrote:I'd like to see a Valhalla plate algo verb...a nice space echo would be good too, but a plate would be sweet!
"Digital" plate? Or physical plate?
An actual metal plate hanging from springs. With a free demo.

I'd like to see more convincing chorus or flanger effects on the market.

This is only my opinion, but most choruses I've heard on the native plugin are passable at best. They tend to take away from a sound, rather than enhance it.

Among the exceptions I can think of are Syntorus, which can add a nice, thick richness to the right kind of sounds. Tal-Chorus is rather nice. And Variety of Sound's embedded Chorus in NastlyDLA sounds promising. Although I haven't used it in that context yet.

Most Flangers aren't much better, also often sounding uninspriing, cold, cheesey, or thin. Fortunatly there is Time Modulator, Liquid, and VTape Flanger, which can be very nice on certain material.

I consider a Chorus and to some extent, a flanger, to be a rather basic effects. But unfortunately there isn't a much of a choice on the native plugin market in high quality effects of this kind.

I believe developing a a vivid, organic chorus or flanger that adds deepth, richness, color, and that perhaps emulates some of the finer subtleties found in some analog counter parts would be much appreciated on the market, if effectively communicated and marketed.

Again, these are just my opinions. Either way, if your next effects will be anywhere as near as good as ValhallaShimmer, you'll have a winner.

I place a lot of value in good reverbs. I've tried and used most on the plugin market. Lexicon PCM Native, Relabs' new LX480 (Densest software reverb I've heard so far), 2c-aether are my favorite I always resort to in a mix.

Valhallashimmer has become my goto verb for HUGE spaces. Very straight forward, and powerfully flexible. Beautiful really, and a type of sound I can't seem to get from any other plugin.

I would like to ask if the developer was inspired by any existing hardware models. I've only heard Eventide H8000 in demos, impulse files, or recordings (e.g. Shpongle).

And I haven't recently compared the sound to shimmer, but together with it's pitch shifting feature which is also part of the H8000, it wouldn't surprise me if it where inspired by it.

Eventide is known for its huge lush spacious reverbs, very different from lexicons. Either way, Valhallashimmer stands on its own rights amazingly well, delivers a very different but highly usable reverb sound in a market filled with lexicon (often wanna be) clones. It does huge spaces beautifully. The quality is up there with the big boys, at an impressively low price.

I'd suggest anyone give Valhallashimmer a spin.

I'd really like to see your take on a highly routable multi-effects system.

voted for a chorus because i think there is a big need for a good one with low cpu.
i know you're very good with reverb algos at low cpu but please keep it "simple".

think about live musicians that have to beat the hardware and want to go on stage,without using samples.

thanks,

I voted for pitch...I'd kill for a native Eventide Harmonizer.

t3toooo wrote:voted for a chorus because i think there is a big need for a good one with low cpu.
i know you're very good with reverb algos at low cpu but please keep it "simple".

think about live musicians that have to beat the hardware and want to go on stage,without using samples.

thanks,
By "simple" are your referring to a reverb plugin, the chorus, or both? And what does "simple" mean to you? Number of parameters, type of parameters, ...?

Sean

by "simple",i mean the plugin is going in one direction without to many options beside the part of the concept.

for example,

i don't own eos yet (...want to purchase it soon :D ) but i own valhalla shimmer and the purpose of shimmer is pretty obvious.

many all-around vst's have a specific strength but it is often confusing where it really is and when you found it,often you left out some unnecessary parameters which lead in senseless cpu consumption.

hence,while i still like the plugin i stop using it and use a simpler one to keep my cpu in balance.

maybe i should put a note.

i'm using buzz (new developed since 2008).
the main power of buzz ,beside of the modularity (and what not..) is paramater changing and also i'm not so much a fan of using many samples.

even it is mentioned on music forums that cpu consumption is no problem these days i think it is and it will stay so for the next years, if you want to use a daw with low asio buffer,for live music,changing and playing the synth's and effects and not only playing samples with effects,the world looks a lot different.

so,it's not only about consumption but very much about the degree of efficiency.

of course it is no way simple to create a good plugin concept.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”