What would you like to see from ValhallaDSP in the future?

Locked New Topic

What would you like to see from ValhallaDSP in the future?

Chorus
14%
Flanger
2%
More reverbs
8%
Pitch Shifting things
18%
Weird noisy texture things
28%
Dynamics Processors (compressor, limiter)
11%
Multitap delays
6%
Other delay plugins
2%
Distortion/waveshaping
5%
Granular
7%

Total votes: 222

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Comparing EQ's with a dynamics processor is like comparing eyes and hands.

About EQ's: There barely some "magic" besides curves and some nonlinearities/saturation, covered by hundreds of plugins already. Read this: http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=361

Compressors are far more complex and most of them bring a very unique tone/color/behaviour/function with them. Absolutely NO comparison to EQ's...

great EQ's for around 50$:

http://www.meldaproduction.com/mdynamiceq/

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/equ ... sp_nobleq/

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-equalizer/

Adios..

miro pajic wrote:Comparing EQ's with a dynamics processor is like comparing eyes and hands
Nobody is comparing, compressors and pitch shifters are even more worlds apart, but they are still mentioned in the same poll.

Interesting that you mention MeldaProduction, because they have all kinds of effects, including Eq's, Compressors, Harmonizers, Freq shifters, etc, etc, etc. :wink:

whyterabbyt wrote:
Nielzie wrote:Ridiculous? What the hell is the option "Dynamics Processors (compressor, limiter" doing in this poll then :shock:
Ha! Good point. What the hell is the option "Dynamics Processors (compressor, limiter" doing in this poll? :hihi:
a brand new conception of moderation, i presume ?

:P

Something like Crystallizer with granular and pitch processing! :)
And what about ValhallaFreqEcho 64bit? :wink:

MaxFell wrote:Something like Crystallizer with granular and pitch processing! :)
And what about ValhallaFreqEcho 64bit? :wink:
+1

Yay for weird noisy texture things!

i know delay has been covered, in a couple of different ways, but i'd love to see an echoboy, timeless 2, rp-delay, ohmboyz - beater...the delay to end all delays :D

MaxFell wrote:Something like Crystallizer with granular and pitch processing! :) [...]
When looking at the SoundToys bundle for inspiration, I'm more interested in stuff like Decapitator. Wouldn't know how to classify that in the poll above though, but still, more of that saturation/overdrive/distortion/whatever stuff please.

Nielzie wrote:Ridiculous? What the hell is the option "Dynamics Processors (compressor, limiter" doing in this poll then :shock: I saw that options and though about an EQ, silly me :hihi:
I've actually done dynamics processing at many points in my career, so that's why this was up there. Not everything I have done is based on delay lines.
I looked at the poll and thought, hey that's something different then the Reverbs, Delays, chorus, flanger, etc stuff that Valhalla has already done. :dog:
I'm always up for new suggestions!

That being said...I really DON'T have any exciting new ideas when it comes to EQs. I think that the ones on the market now either implement bog-standard cookbook versions of filters (i.e. many DAWs), use clever math to make the slope more like analog filters but still be clean, or are emulating the EQ sections of high-end consoles. I don't have any high end consoles, and am not the most clever at math, so I doubt I will be doing any EQs anytime soon.

As far as filters, I may try my hand someday at a VCF model, as I do have ideas in this space. However, the standards for plugin emulations of VCFs are about to get MUCH higher, with the upcoming releases of U-he's Diva and Cytomic's The Drop. I have seen the math discussions for both, and these guys are definitely taking things to the next level.

Sean Costello

I would like to see a perfect pitch shifter that can preserve the formants of the human voice. Optional it should be possible to play the shifted voices polyphonic with a keyboard to realize a choir.
Please do it. I am waiting for such a plugin. :-)

valhallasound wrote:
Nielzie wrote:Ridiculous? What the hell is the option "Dynamics Processors (compressor, limiter" doing in this poll then :shock: I saw that options and though about an EQ, silly me :hihi:
I've actually done dynamics processing at many points in my career, so that's why this was up there. Not everything I have done is based on delay lines.
I looked at the poll and thought, hey that's something different then the Reverbs, Delays, chorus, flanger, etc stuff that Valhalla has already done. :dog:
I'm always up for new suggestions!

That being said...I really DON'T have any exciting new ideas when it comes to EQs. I think that the ones on the market now either implement bog-standard cookbook versions of filters (i.e. many DAWs), use clever math to make the slope more like analog filters but still be clean, or are emulating the EQ sections of high-end consoles. I don't have any high end consoles, and am not the most clever at math, so I doubt I will be doing any EQs anytime soon.

As far as filters, I may try my hand someday at a VCF model, as I do have ideas in this space. However, the standards for plugin emulations of VCFs are about to get MUCH higher, with the upcoming releases of U-he's Diva and Cytomic's The Drop. I have seen the math discussions for both, and these guys are definitely taking things to the next level.

Sean Costello
Sean, what would YOU like to do? Whatever you come up with will sell like hot cakes, that's a given. A lot is about interfaces and stuff, i think. The maths can be next level shit but if the interfaces make stuff hard to use, it won't help. You excel at makeing complex stuff useable. It might be the most stupid thing you have ever heard, and i am no apple guy but the APPLE success story has far more to do with interfaces and placing things centerstage that were burried under tables before than with clever maths (apart from that used in the sales department,perhaps) :lol:
no sig

loopdon wrote: Sean, what would YOU like to do? Whatever you come up with will sell like hot cakes, that's a given.
Thanks! Honestly, I end up doing what I like to do, but I always want to know what people could use.
A lot is about interfaces and stuff, i think. The maths can be next level shit but if the interfaces make stuff hard to use, it won't help. You excel at makeing complex stuff useable. It might be the most stupid thing you have ever heard, and i am no apple guy but the APPLE success story has far more to do with interfaces and placing things centerstage that were burried under tables before than with clever maths (apart from that used in the sales department,perhaps) :lol:
I have found that the interfaces help to shape the algorithm. ValhallaFreqEcho and ValhallaShimmer were built with a fairly basic GUI philosophy: use knobs, everything on one level, knob size indicates hierarchy (ValhallaShimmer's equal knob sizes is a fairly accurate reflection of the underlying algorithm), incorporate tooltips into the GUI. The complexity of the algorithms was limited by what could be expressed with this GUI architecture.

With ValhallaRoom, the "tabs" (i.e. buttons) with smaller knobs, and the high level sliders, allowed me to create a more complex algorithm under the hood. The "tweaky" controls could be accessed via tabs, while the parameters that need to be tweaked more often are always on the top level. This paradigm ended up shaping ValhallaÜberMod's algorithm. Originally, ÜberMod was ValhallaChorus, and was far simpler. By deciding to use the VRoom type GUI architecture, all of the cool artifacts I was coming across could be incorporated into the ÜberMod algorithm, by putting them under the proper tabs. Figuring out these tabs took me several months, however.

"You excel at makeing complex stuff useable" - THANK YOU!!!!! That is a HUGE goal of mine.

Sean Costello

Maybe if you'd focus on things like modularity, coding a sequencer and/or the ability to assign effects to certain keyzones which can be triggered with midi notes, then this could open up a huge world of different possibilities for future (multi)effects :) Just a thought..

But you should probably just do what you are enjoying and find inspirational to create at that moment. Like someone else just said before. I'd probably buy it anyway, whatever it is :borg: :D

I would like to see a plugin version of the Eventide H8000. Not a direct clone obviously but your take on it. I understand that isn't quite your style and there is an appeal to simple modular plugins however a large one has possibilities a few smaller ones doesn't have, like effects on feedback loops and such (FUN) nonsense. Plus you get presets with routings you'd never think of in a million years from other users and hopefully the included library.

I am sure I am in the miniscule minority in this, but I would LOVE to see a varispeed plugin that works as well as my ADATs (not to mention tape) did. I would use it all the time to hit those high notes. :)
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

jupiter8 wrote:I would like to see a plugin version of the Eventide H8000. Not a direct clone obviously but your take on it. I understand that isn't quite your style and there is an appeal to simple modular plugins however a large one has possibilities a few smaller ones doesn't have, like effects on feedback loops and such (FUN) nonsense. Plus you get presets with routings you'd never think of in a million years from other users and hopefully the included library.
The Eventide H8000 has 30+ years of development expertise embodied in it, and over 1000 actual effects algorithms. To put things in perspective, ValhallaÜberMod has the equivalent of 9 effects algorithms inside of it (each of the chorus modes is a somewhat separate algorithm).

Eventide themselves are being rather conservative with how they translate their algorithms to plugins. The upcoming 2016 Stereo Room Reverb would correspond to a single algorithm for the H8000, as would the Omnipressor (I think there is an Omnipressor in the H8000).

The people behind the OS for the DSP4000 and later Eventides went on to form SoundToys. And they release their plugins as dedicated algorithms, instead of modular multi-effects. Something like EchoBoy is very powerful, but it would probably translate to a dozen or so H8000 algorithms.

In order to replicate the H8000, I would need to:

- Own an H8000. Those are still over $5K, and I don't like spending that sort of money on gear.
- Translate every module to my own C++/SIMD assembly format. This would entail figuring out how some of the trickier modules work, like the Eventide pitch detection for pitch shifting. Don't forget that they have had this running since the H949 back in 1977.
- Figure out a way of arbitrarily plugging these modules together on the fly, using a text-based layout format. Something like Pure Data would work, assuming that I made a bunch of custom externals that replicated the H8000 functions.
- Create 1000 layouts.
- Create a user interface that would work for modern plugins. I doubt that people would be happy with a 2 line LCD plus a handful of configurable knobs.

This would take me a few years. In order to justify this, the price of the plugin would not be $50. It would probably be closer to the price of the H8000.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have that sort of horsepower at my fingertips running in a DAW. It's just that there aren't enough hours in the day to be able to pull something like this off as a 1 person company.

Sean Costello

Return to “Valhalla DSP”