What would you like to see from ValhallaDSP in the future?

Locked New Topic

What would you like to see from ValhallaDSP in the future?

Chorus
14%
Flanger
2%
More reverbs
8%
Pitch Shifting things
18%
Weird noisy texture things
28%
Dynamics Processors (compressor, limiter)
11%
Multitap delays
6%
Other delay plugins
2%
Distortion/waveshaping
5%
Granular
7%

Total votes: 222

RELATED
PRODUCTS

ras.s wrote:Tape delay with resonance filtered feedback and chorused reverb..
Is this a request for a plugin that does these things in an easier to digest form than ÜberMod? Or a sardonic observation that my current plugins tend to be verb-y and tape echo-ey? It is hard to tell on these forums. The Internet is tough, man. :D

Sean Costello

DuX wrote:I couldn't pick one out... I think it would be rather easy to make a delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, pitch-shifting thing, and educate people how actually these things are rather similar and all start with a delay.

edit: well, actually, UberMod is rather close to that... ;) but they could build a much more versatile plugin from it.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. ValhallaÜberMod does a LOT of things:

- Chorus
- Ensemble
- Flanger
- Delay
- Tape Echo
- Multitap
- Nonlinear reverbs (gated/reverse)
- Huge Long Reverbs

ÜberMod also does a bunch of stuff that doesn't fit into these categories, or falls between the cracks of these categories. And ÜberMod has a LOT of parameters. And was thrown into the deep end of the pool without any documentation. :D

So I'm currently working on a series of blog posts about ÜberMod, with the goal of wrapping them up into a big document at some point. I'm explaining all of the parameters, but I need to do a post on "What is ÜberMod?" This would explain how all of the above effects can be obtained via ÜberMod, but in a unique manner. Future posts will describe how to get each of these, like "how to dial in a Dimension D sound" or "how to get reverse reverb" or "how to create through zero flanging."

Sean Costello

themossinator wrote:Dont think its on the poll but id love a Valhalla Distortion plugin - ohmicide is almost too brutal...
Good point. I just added Distortion/waveshaping to the poll. I loves me some fuzz boxes.

The only problem with distortion in the digital realm is that it takes a fair number of cycles to avoid aliasing. And that seems wasteful to me.

For example, take the Fuzz Face (or any of the related circuits - it turns out that the Vox amp that was probably used on "Whole Lotta Love" had a Fuzz Face-esque circuit in the front of it). In order to avoid aliasing, a model of this circuit would have to use a fair percentage of a modern CPU.

The Core i7 in the machine I am currently using for Valhalla development has 731,000,000 transistors in it.

Number of transistors in a Fuzz Face: 2.

Let's say I came up with a super optimal Fuzz Face model, that only used 1% of a single core. 1% of 731,000,000 transistors, divided by 4 = 1,827,500 transistors being used on my computer to model an analog circuit that used 2 transistors.

I don't know if that could be called "progress."

Once you get into weird waveshaping things, and distortions that work in a bunch of different frequency regions, digital approaches make sense. But for emulating classic fuzz boxes, I have to recommend going out and buying a few, or soldering your own.

I don't know where I stand on virtual analog filters with the above in mind. Having some decent synth filter models in the computer is a great thing for making music, and a few developers are really getting close with their models. However, these take a BUNCH of cycles. And it seems like the less transistors used in the original filter, the more cycles it takes to emulate realistically. The Moog ladder filter in the Minimoog used 14 transistors, plus another 4 for the VCA. The Korg-35 filter, as found in the amazingly cheap and raunchy Monotron, uses 3 transistors, a FET, two diodes and an op-amp. Both of these filters require a LOT of cycles to capture their chaotic behavior.

Sean Costello

Hi Sean, I've demoed VRoom and Ubermod and I really like them, but I was just wondering why ", LLC" has to show up after "Vahalla DSP" in the plugin menu? I feel silly mentioning this since it's not necessarily a huge issue, but considering I have to look at the plugin menu many times during a session I just think it's an eyesore and rather unnecessary to have that there. Of course you can name your plugins however you like since they're your products, but just thought I would through it out there.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:Hi Sean, I've demoed VRoom and Ubermod and I really like them, but I was just wondering why ", LLC" has to show up after "Vahalla DSP" in the plugin menu? I feel silly mentioning this since it's not necessarily a huge issue, but considering I have to look at the plugin menu many times during a session I just think it's an eyesore and rather unnecessary to have that there. Of course you can name your plugins however you like since they're your products, but just thought I would through it out there.
LLC is my wife's initials. You BASTARD.

:D

Sean Costello

Ah, I see... but in that case are you saying that she is separate from 'Valhalla DSP' or a part of it? :D
You are currently reading my signature.

valhallasound wrote:LLC is my wife's initials. You BASTARD.

:D

Sean Costello
OMFG
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm the only one that voted waveshaping. I don't care about CPU because I have a sooper dooper 'pooter now but I'm a huge fan of using waveshaping as a synthesis function. Perhaps something that can morph between several user-definable transfer functions and has an envelope follower and some kind of gain leveller? That way you could turn volume shifts into timbral ones.

Maybe add some kind of M/S or feedback options or multiple stages or something? I dono, just rambling :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I'd like to see something along the lines of dBlue's Glitch (and not just because it's never been ported to the Mac). Glitch is nice, but it's showing it's age, and there isn't a lot of competition in the 'oodles of odd stuff' market (Turnado and NI's 'the finger' spring to mind, but they are toy-like and performance oriented respectively, rather than VST effects.

In my mind, ValhallaGlitch would sound smoother, and offer things like reverse reverbs, octave shifters, overmod chorus and so on that are already coded (possibly it would incorporate the effect engines from the 4 existing plug ins, but limited to extreme presets?) and be both a proving ground for new stuff (single purpose distortion for 1/2 a beat doesn't need to be as polished as a general purpose distortion VST would) and a dumping ground for experiments that didn't work (bad/broken reverb models).

I'm gonna say something I never say and ask for a huge preset bank for each of your products, especially Room and UberMod. I like programming synths, and don't use presets much, but I know a lot less about programming these, I suspect that's true of a large segment of your customer base (I will guess a majority). It would be good for your customers and your business. I wonder if a large, quality commercial 3rd-party preset bank for these would sell? I'd buy it if the presets were mostly musically oriented in the traditional sense (not just creating crazy sound, but useful on more traditional instrument tracks in pieces that have melody, harmony, etc.), large and comprehensive (representatives of all the different things the plugs could do).

One way a lot of people learn unfamiliar tech is deconstructing quality presets. I'm a noob, but I love the plugs. I'm using all three on all my new projects, but I have ideas for sounds for which there are no presets, especially for UberMod because it can do so many things. So I find myself spending a lot of time trying to get certain sounds and failing because I don't understand the tech. :cry: :hihi:
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Gonga wrote:I'm gonna say something I never say and ask for a huge preset bank for each of your products, especially Room and UberMod.
The thing is, I don't know what types of presets people want. The next ÜberMod release will have a few new categories for presets - Unison, Doubling, Ping-Pong. Beyond that, I may have answers, but need other people to ask the questions. :D

So, feel free to post preset requests in the sticky threads at the top of this forum. Or in the main ValhallaÜberMod/ValhallaRoom threads, if you want (less scrolling down to this forum). Either way, I'll try to see what I can come up with.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
Gonga wrote:I'm gonna say something I never say and ask for a huge preset bank for each of your products, especially Room and UberMod.
The thing is, I don't know what types of presets people want. The next ÜberMod release will have a few new categories for presets - Unison, Doubling, Ping-Pong. Beyond that, I may have answers, but need other people to ask the questions. :D

So, feel free to post preset requests in the sticky threads at the top of this forum. Or in the main ValhallaÜberMod/ValhallaRoom threads, if you want (less scrolling down to this forum). Either way, I'll try to see what I can come up with.

Sean Costello
Hmmmm.. ÜberMod needs definately some more presets indeed.. Some more good usable filtered and/or shifted delays and thick choruses would be nice for a start :)

An exceptional multi-effect it is :D But I must admit that I'm not yet so good at tweaking it from scratch, so I'm using the presets a lot as a starting point.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I want a Chorus so thick , I can chew on it. (is this possible in VRoom?) (use feedback like Live's Chorus)

I want presets in VRoom that represent styles... I'm thinking high-pass + loooong verb, like any of the Fixx records produced by Hiugh Padgam, e.g. Walkabout.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkabout_ ... x_album%29, or whatever color of reverb The Police used on Synchronicity.

On the flipside, I'd like a transparent reverb for VRoom, as in where it's so subtle you're not sure it's there. Polite.

I want a preset bank of useful ducking and delayed reverbs.

I haven't bought Uber yet... you'll have to wait for tax refund tyme before I can address that plug and desired presets. :)

old thread : ubermod came out since this thread started, anyways I love the lo-fi sound tape fuzzieness on the tape delay presets(ubermod) , so here is my vote for some type of " bit crusher, tape simulator , glitch making plugin " to be lo-fi , but futuristic !!!!!
Last edited by fedexnman on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weird noisy texture !!

Return to “Valhalla DSP”