What would you like to see from ValhallaDSP in the future?

Locked New Topic

What would you like to see from ValhallaDSP in the future?

Chorus
14%
Flanger
2%
More reverbs
8%
Pitch Shifting things
18%
Weird noisy texture things
28%
Dynamics Processors (compressor, limiter)
11%
Multitap delays
6%
Other delay plugins
2%
Distortion/waveshaping
5%
Granular
7%

Total votes: 222

RELATED
PRODUCTS

LX_Nen wrote:I'd like to see something along the lines of dBlue's Glitch (and not just because it's never been ported to the Mac). Glitch is nice, but it's showing it's age, and there isn't a lot of competition in the 'oodles of odd stuff' market (Turnado and NI's 'the finger' spring to mind, but they are toy-like and performance oriented respectively, rather than VST effects.
offtopic: izotope and sugar bytes have these kind of effects.

Distortion/waveshaping effect would be similar to soundtoys' devil-loc and decapitator?

Multiband distortion. With new types of distortion, not the same old.

valhallasound wrote:
jupiter8 wrote:I would like to see a plugin version of the Eventide H8000. Not a direct clone obviously but your take on it. I understand that isn't quite your style and there is an appeal to simple modular plugins however a large one has possibilities a few smaller ones doesn't have, like effects on feedback loops and such (FUN) nonsense. Plus you get presets with routings you'd never think of in a million years from other users and hopefully the included library.
The Eventide H8000 has 30+ years of development expertise embodied in it, and over 1000 actual effects algorithms. To put things in perspective, ValhallaÜberMod has the equivalent of 9 effects algorithms inside of it (each of the chorus modes is a somewhat separate algorithm).

The people behind the OS for the DSP4000 and later Eventides went on to form SoundToys. And they release their plugins as dedicated algorithms, instead of modular multi-effects. Something like EchoBoy is very powerful, but it would probably translate to a dozen or so H8000 algorithms.

In order to replicate the H8000, I would need to:

- Own an H8000. Those are still over $5K, and I don't like spending that sort of money on gear.
- Translate every module to my own C++/SIMD assembly format. This would entail figuring out how some of the trickier modules work, like the Eventide pitch detection for pitch shifting. Don't forget that they have had this running since the H949 back in 1977.
- Figure out a way of arbitrarily plugging these modules together on the fly, using a text-based layout format. Something like Pure Data would work, assuming that I made a bunch of custom externals that replicated the H8000 functions.
- Create 1000 layouts.
- Create a user interface that would work for modern plugins. I doubt that people would be happy with a 2 line LCD plus a handful of configurable knobs.

This would take me a few years. In order to justify this, the price of the plugin would not be $50. It would probably be closer to the price of the H8000.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have that sort of horsepower at my fingertips running in a DAW. It's just that there aren't enough hours in the day to be able to pull something like this off as a 1 person company.

Sean Costello
I often wonder why no one has developed a bridging concept that could host various manufaturers firmware/software built into digital effects in the DAW environment, obviously with permissions and all (which is I know the main issue, permissions and copyrights).

However, I do still ponder on the thought 'is it possibly to design a piece of native software that could host various digital hardware counterparts algorithms and code in a windows native environment?

How about a RE (Rack Extension) Room and Shimmer for Reason 6.5? This will sell for sure. Many Reason users are wondering if you would be interested in doing this, since Valhalla reverbs have great reputation; just check the official Propellerhead forum.

The code is already there; you would only need a new GUI, to fit in the rack and blend with the rest of the devices.

karacha wrote:How about a RE (Rack Extension) Room and Shimmer for Reason 6.5? This will sell for sure. Many Reason users are wondering if you would be interested in doing this, since Valhalla reverbs have great reputation; just check the official Propellerhead forum.

The code is already there; you would only need a new GUI, to fit in the rack and blend with the rest of the devices.
+1

Don't forget UberMod.

If you're going to write a rack extension, write the one everyone really wants... a VST host! :D

Valhalla 3D Space,
I'm missing a decent fx to place my instruments and mics in the 3D room.
Why should we need another distortion, chorus ...?
..where the f*ck is my ...

LX_Nen wrote:If you're going to write a rack extension, write the one everyone really wants... a VST host! :D
Nice idea chap,
generic rack module + floating VST GUI.
Just automation parameter CVs,
+ multiple audio &
1 MIDI as per VST spec.
Would be cool

My problem is Reason sequencer still though.
Too fiddly,
they could minimize the tools required IMO.

All the same, I guess I can play with Matrix if I upgrade.

LX_Nen wrote:If you're going to write a rack extension, write the one everyone really wants... a VST host! :D
Yeah, I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. :D I wouldn't know how to code such a beast in the first place, but my guess is that Propellerheads won't allow such a rack extension on the store.

Sean Costello

Not to waste your time with Reason Rack extensions !!!! Is what I'd like to see from Valhalla DSP .

todd sweetland wrote:Not to waste your time with Reason Rack extensions !!!! Is what I'd like to see from Valhalla DSP .
:lol:

todd sweetland wrote:Not to waste your time with Reason Rack extensions !!!! Is what I'd like to see from Valhalla DSP .
+1. with the proviso that if you crunch the numbers Sean and it helps keep your wonderful work alive and well then great. but on the surface of it i am frustrated that small developers are being faced with a choice to divide limited resources among competing plugin standards. and i am dubious that this choice is in fact necessary. perhaps the Re environment will offer significant value adds. but with some creative effort, couldn't these new capabilities have been realized in a more open way? and no matter how useful they are, i assume they will only be useful in the Re environment and between Re plugins. this still leaves anyone with a significant time/$/learning investment in non-Re tools plain out of luck. and in my case, just not at all interested.

fwiw, /dan

ps- you said elsewhere that sidechain i/o wasn't possible in vst's. why wouldn't an additional set of vst ins/outs work as a sidechain? seems like i could do that already in environments like Reaper that allow flexible routine with feedback. i'm sure there's something i'm not understanding here...

:hihi:
Last edited by deleted on Mon May 14, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

:hihi:
Last edited by deleted on Mon May 14, 2012 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”